M&P Bodyguard or Kahr CW380?

This is a discussion on M&P Bodyguard or Kahr CW380? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have finally narrowed it down to two micro .380's. The Kahr CW380 or M&P Body Guard. I want the option to pocket carry. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: M&P Bodyguard or Kahr CW380?

I have finally narrowed it down to two micro .380's. The Kahr CW380 or M&P Body Guard. I want the option to pocket carry. I am not the biggest fan of the 380 round or the pain in the butt to find it. My regular EDC is either a shield 9mm and xds 9mm. I love both sub compacts IWB. I still don't know how people can carry a full size gun unless you are in law enforcement.

Trigger:
    I like the buttery smooth trigger of the Kahr better way better then the long trigger of the BG. That being said, the trigger on the BG was not as bad as I thought it would be after reading reviews. I know either one is not going to be a range gun or my primary EDC.

Reliability:
    Any first hand experiences with these guns would be greatly appreciated. I hear the Kahr can be a little more finicky and that the BG would eat most ammo up.

Price:
    They are around the same. I do like Sig P238 but am not willing to throw down that much cash for a little 380.

Thanks in advance for any input

My Kahr P380 (higher dollar version of the CW380 mentioned) was a nightmare for reliability. Failure to return to battery, failure to chamber, failure to extract...
    Failure. Sent it back to Kahr, got it back, still had the same issues.

Every Bodyguard I've had (two previous with laser, one M&P without) has been voracious - they don't care what they're fed, just feed them, and they'll run.

AND the M&P Bodyguard comes with two mags. CW380's don't.

When looking for a Micro 380 ..I looked at both guns you mentioned...and several more ,....I done way to much research...I picked the Taurus TCP....its been a 18 mo.s ago I'm really pleased with the pistol...(and it shoots Remington FNFMJ )

Any reason the G42 didn't make the cut?
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

I like my bodyguard for that role. Shoots well and reliably. Not my favorite gun, but fills a niche.

The trigger is long and heavy, but after a couple hundred rounds, there is no grit left. It's reasonably smooth now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member
    I don't own both so I can only answer about the BG by smith and Wesson.

The trigger really sucks. It is long very long and effects the accuracy. Having said all of that it is my bug and if I ever need it I won't remember the trigger pull sucked. I use the laser at night on the ranch for skunks in the chickens and it works great. I have not had a failure to fire nor a failure to feed. I only shoot fmj but I don't think the fps is going to give me any expansion at all and I want all the penetration I can get from the little guy.

OO7
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo411 View Post
    Any reason the G42 didn't make the cut?
    Probobly because he wants to pocket carry it and if he wanted a gun that size he would use his shield(slightly bigger.)

As far as the question OP the only input I have is I have a bodyguard and I've never had a problem with it. The kahr trigger is better but I see that as the only upside. I plan on upgrading to the m&p BG very soon
    "I'd rather die a lion than live like a sheep."
    "The first step to winning a gun fight is having a gun on you."

I carry an lcp but, of the two I would go with the bodyguard. The Kahn seems to have inconsistencies with reliability and quality control.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I think he would have been better off with a G19 over the G42. Now if Glock would make the 42 9mm then look for me to buy one. For now I will stick with the early S&W BG on the ankle

I have the Kahr P380 as well. It has been 100% for me with about 400 rounds down range. I carry front pocket when back in America. For pocket carry I prefer DAO with no safety. Hence while the BG by all reports is very reliable and comes with a laser, I prefer not to have a safety on a DAO pocket pistol.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Which bodyguard ? The new no laser model sups to be more slime line or the old laser model?

I personal would get the new model as I never used the laser on mine ..

Both guns are a tose up.. For me the bodyguard is as tricky or more then the khar to take down... But it is has been very relibly with any ammo and is a great pocket gun ... Well plus I can mount a silencer to mine ( dont ask )

Khars are guns that if you get one that works are great if you dont good luck .. I have owned two in 9mm.. One was just too painfull to fire but so far I am liken the other ( takedown just take some getting use to ...)

And also galloway perscion does make a lighter trigger for the bg380

You will find ( I did ) that the trigger is very heavy on the bg380... You can carry it saftey off .. Really the saftey takes the most getting use to on it
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I have the bodyguard without the laser and really like it. My buddy has one that has the laser. Yes the trigger is LONG but each one has been totally reliable. I had a Kahr in 9mm that was a nightmare in the reliability department so I never considered one of their .380.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

I have had 2 BG first I had problems with and was one of the early ones. The laser screw kept backing out of it and I sold it off. The second is fine. The laser I don't use. It's hard to depress the buttons and I find it awkward.

I have a cm9 that's great and the next 380 will be a p380.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." -G.S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    I have had 2 BG first I had problems with and was one of the early ones. The laser screw kept backing out of it and I sold it off. The second is fine. The laser I don't use. It's hard to depress the buttons and I find it awkward.

I have a cm9 that's great and the next 380 will be a p380.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." -G.S. Patton
    While I never had the screw back out of the laser on the first BG it was loose as a goose and after reading of them backing out and jamming the gun during firing I just took the laser unit out entirely and carried it that way. The laser was a gimmick imho- unreliable in operation and hard to engage with one hand operation.

Now that they come without the laser and the fact that the new M&P version comes with two mags cinched the deal.

The M&P trigger seems quite a bit better, too. And the safety? I just can't see how it could EVER engage accidentally, given its heavy operation and it being as recessed as it is.

Agree the MP without the laser is sweet. I never thought about taking off the laser. Good idea.

Just ' bout the action Boss...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links