Glock 23 premature slide locking back

This is a discussion on Glock 23 premature slide locking back within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I took my son shooting. It was his first time with handguns (he's 18). We shot 125 rounds of federal 180gr fmj factory ammo. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Glock 23 premature slide locking back

Today I took my son shooting. It was his first time with handguns (he's 18). We shot 125 rounds of federal 180gr fmj factory ammo. I have had this gun for a while now, it was made in 2002 and is a Gen 3. My son had the slide lock open once when the mag still had rounds in it. I had him hit the slide lock and it chambered the next round and he finished the mag. I figured he rode up on the slide lock.

Then I shot some rounds and it did it to me. It isn't a stovepipe or failure to feed, the slide lock is engaging so that rules out limp wrist. And this is the first time this has happened. Could it be a weak slide lock spring? Only variable is I brought a new to me glock factory mag, but I didn't look to see which mag had the malfunction. Could a bad mag cause that issue? Last range trip I only had one mag with me and had no issue.

Thoughts?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Administrator
    The mag could cause that issue, but I kinda doubt it. My bet is thumbs were riding a little high on the frame engaging the lever without you knowing it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Wouldn't the mag follower have to engage the slide lock for it to be a magazine issue?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

It's a Glock, they are Perfection!
    So it cannt be the pistols fault.
    Or can it?

Need to try to repeat the problem. Be sure of your grip and thumb placement.
    And use several mags if possible. Odds are if it repeats itself with several mags then the issue could be the spring.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    spring on the slide stop is broken.

Pop your 3 pins, guarantee its the wire spring connected to the slide stop.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productim...799/799965.jpg

SUPPOSED TO LOOK like this.

Easy test…..Push up on your slide stop lever and if it stays in the up position. Its broken.
    oscar1 and gatorbait51 like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    This is also an obvious/likely answer. Its probably long over due for replacement, your gun is 12 years old.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post

Pop your 3 pins, guarantee its the wire spring connected to the slide stop.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productim...799/799965.jpg

SUPPOSED TO LOOK like this.

Easy test…..Push up on your slide stop lever and if it stays in the up position. Its broken.
    The slide stop moves up and returns to its position, but does feel a bit weak. The Glock armorer at the range said it felt fine. I guess maybe it was me riding it high, but it has NEVER happened to me before (except my G27 that had a broken spring) on any of my Glocks......Gen 4 19 and 23 and this Gen 3 23.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    It should spring Back into place. Take apart your other glock an compare.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

My other Glocks are being used by my brother in law, I don't have them here right now. Anyone with a Glock care to look at your slide stop and tell me if mine is pointed out too far on this one? I think that might be the issue........
    Attached Images
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Sounds like the curse of the high thumbs shooting style strikes again.

I shoot my autos like I do my revolvers...support hand thumb over shooting hand thumb. Keeps the thumbs away from cylinder gaps, slide lock levers, and the slide itself. In many thousands of rounds, I have never had premature slide lock open.
    glockcoma and gatorbait51 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

When I had that problem with my Mod 21 it went back to the factory. The only original parts I got back were the slide and the bbl. Everything else was brand new. Call the factory and talk to a gunsmith.Super service!
    There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It's really great. Gen. James Mattis USMC

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Sounds like the curse of the high thumbs shooting style strikes again.

I shoot my autos like I do my revolvers...support hand thumb over shooting hand thumb. Keeps the thumbs away from cylinder gaps, slide lock levers, and the slide itself. In many thousands of rounds, I have never had premature slide lock open.
    I could completely agree with this, except I have put 1000 rounds through my Glocks in the last year and never had it happen. I dunno, maybe I'm over gripping the snappier 40 cal glock?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I could completely agree with this, except I have put 1000 rounds through my Glocks in the last year and never had it happen. I dunno, maybe I'm over gripping the snappier 40 cal glock?
    Saw in the pic that the grip is stippled. Has it been trimmed as well? Are your other Glocks modded in the same way? Do you grip them all the same?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

mine was the magazine follower in one of the mags being bad when mine was acting up. mine was a bit different but just a guess. see if you can limit i to just 1 mag maybe thats what we ended up doing.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Saw in the pic that the grip is stippled. Has it been trimmed as well? Are your other Glocks modded in the same way? Do you grip them all the same?
    Both my 23s are stippled, not reduced or modified beyond that. Both have the grip force adapter as well. The more I look online the more it seems my slide catch is bent out away from the frame more than other Glocks. Wish I had my other one handy. May have to drive across town, the curiosity is killing me
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links