range report carry guns - good and not so good

This is a discussion on range report carry guns - good and not so good within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I took both of my carry guns to the range for our weekly club shoot. I KNOW I can shoot well with my G17 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: range report carry guns - good and not so good

VIP Member

range report carry guns - good and not so good

Today I took both of my carry guns to the range for our weekly club shoot. I KNOW I can shoot well with my G17 and G34, but needed more shooting time with the guns I trust to save my life. So here is my range report.

First, the good news - mostly. My S&W model 60 shoots like a dream. I did have an action job and Gramps and I took turns doing several thousands of dry fire "shots" and the trigger pull is now quite OK. NOT butter smooth like my 686, but very good. I shot it from 3, 5, 7 and 12 yards during our pre-shoot warm up time. Self defense distances because it's a self defense gun........LOL

Strings of 5 shots at each distance. 3 yard was strong hand only. Here is my target with notes explaining the "flyers". Obviously, at 12 yards I need to slow down and place my shots more carefully.

2014 may 7 model 60.jpg

Interesting note: A few years ago at shooting school in Missouri I was next to a young woman. We compared targets and ours were identical Except that all of her shots were grouped middle/left and mine were grouped middle/right. Mirror images! Yes, I know what I have to do to hit the center of a really tiny target!

Then, for the regular action shoot (like a VERY modified IDPA, but at least with movement, paper and steel) I used my G26. A few weeks ago Gramps put a lighter weight spring in it because I all but couldn't rack the slide.

YES, a few people here warned me that messing with a Glock factory spring could cause problems! I had taken it to the range and it seemed to work well. TODAY IT DID NOT!!!!

I used 3 different magazines and in every single one of them at about round #7 or #8 the trigger went "click" - not "bang". Obviously (DUH) the rounds were not fully seating in the chamber! BUT I reinserted one of the mostly empty mags and the remaining rounds shot with no problem to slide lock/empty. So not a mag spring problem.

SO now the Glock has its factory spring put back in and we need to go back to the range and recreate the competition conditions so I can see if that was the problem. I am discouraged, big time. Fortunately I do have the model 60 which will be my full time carry gun until the G problem is resolved. I briefly thought about carrying my G17 but it's an awfully long gun for a rather small bodied female. Sure wish I had my 19 back that I traded in!!!

I've NEVER had a problem with any Glock I've owned that was not shooter induced. However, Gramps did have to send one back for repair after 8 years of heavy use. But this gun hasn't had much use.

The worst part of the whole thing (other than only having one 5 shooter for carry) was that all the guys saw my mess. Yes, I'm the only woman. But they do know how I normally shoot, so I can't say I embarrassed myself - but I'm not used to being in last place for any reason.

I will post a follow up after I take the Glock back out. And I will shoot enough rounds to make SURE all is well before I trust my life to it.
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; May 8th, 2014 at 06:44 PM. Reason: add a line
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

2. Remove Ads

If you have trouble racking the slide on an auto, there is nothing wrong with carrying a revolver...or two.

Better that than fooling with the internals of a normally reliable gun.

JMHO
    gatorbait51 and glockman10mm like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

If you were able to carry the G19 adequately, I can't see the G17 being that much harder to carry, not in barrel length at least, maybe the grip length.

Or, of course, you could just OC.....

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

That's some fine shootin' ShooterGranny... In spite of a few issues with your finest.

I'm sure ShooterGramps will take care of your spring and get you back to your comfort zone soon enough.

Perhaps if I can get my health back I can make it to the range myself. I would love to post a target that I've shot up.
    Deaconswife

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post
    If you were able to carry the G19 adequately, I can't see the G17 being that much harder to carry, not in barrel length at least, maybe the grip length.
    Or, of course, you could just OC.....
    Sara Lou
    Actually, Sara Lou, you are an inspiration to all of us! Mrs. Chicken-heart here has been working toward OC. Slowly. I wear my gun in my "pocket/OWB position" with a loose open front top like a blouse or button front sweater. So if it happens to show I'm open. I KNOW - that doesn't really count........

Hardly anyone in our area carries openly so I've been taking it slow and easy. This situation may speed things up a bit because I really don't think I can stick the 17 inside of my "tight fittin' jeans". (When I carried the 19 I weighed 35 pounds more and wore looser clothing)
    Zralou and gatorbait51 like this.

==================

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I suppose that the G26 has become more than a matter of the heart to some extent. They are excellent weapons and have obvious advantages over the wheel gun. I understand why you want and need it to run for you. But I will say that your backup plan in the Model 60 is an excellent one and is more reflective of my primary plan versus a secondary approach. Yesterday was a M60 for me. You're in good hands with a Model 60. You clearly have a high degree of confidence in it, rightly so, and that goes a long way. Good luck to you.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Nice shooting.

I don't mess with the internals of carry guns for exactly the reason you experienced. I'm not sure why you traded in the 19 instead of the 17. I think the 19 is the best all around self defense pistol one can buy. It's also an excellent gun to shoot IDPA with. Shooting matches with my carry gun is what I do.

I had a 17, traded it for a second 19. My most carried gun is a 26. All of them are box stock except for having night sights installed and all are reliable as gravity.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

The trigger went "click" instead of just pulling through, with no resistance except the return spring? I don't see "click" as an out of battery option. Range brass or factory? I've run some really really light springs in Glocks and 1911s, and it's still the ammo that causes the problem(s) usually, not the spring.

Did you leave the striker spring factory?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    TY54712

Looking good ShooterGranny! You can't be TOO disappointed, even your so called "flyers" would have connected. Nicely done ma'am!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonsay View Post
    The trigger went "click" instead of just pulling through, with no resistance except the return spring? I don't see "click" as an out of battery option. Range brass or factory? I've run some really really light springs in Glocks and 1911s, and it's still the ammo that causes the problem(s) usually, not the spring.
    Did you leave the striker spring factory?
    YES the trigger went "click". The only spring that was changed was the main recoil spring. I was using the same S&B 115 gr. ammo that I've always (for years) used in all my Glocks BUT realized that it could be an ammo problem. Just because my other Glocks love the S&B did not mean the 26 did also.

HOWEVER -- UPDATE FOR ALL VIEWERS:

Gramps put the factory spring back in and we went back to the range today. Set up two targets (not the usual 17 used in the competition shoots) far enough apart that I had to physically move between them. I shot 30 rounds, moving back and forth between the 2 targets for approximate the same "travel time" as in a real shoot. NO PROBLEM!!!

THEN I loaded another 20 rounds and - starting at 15 yards, shot a couple, and then shot on the move forward PLUS on the move backward until I used both mags. NO PROBLEM!!!

I would have shot more rounds but my old hand and shoulder do not allow that if I want to function without a huge amount of pain for the next couple of days. Gun is back to carry condition. So what if I can't rack the slide and engage the slide stop with this heavier spring? I can rack the slide to load a round into the chamber and that's what is important.
    wheelyfun101 and Zralou like this.

==================

VIP Member

Update after factory spring put back in

See update in post above for results of putting factory spring back in G26. Wanted to make a few more comments.

I recreated the competition conditions as closely as I could without a bunch of guys on hand to set up multiple metal poppers, etc. The ONLY real change from yesterday was the spring exchange. I shot at or close to competition speed - perhaps a wee bit faster because I wound up with a couple 8's and more 9's than I normally have. BUT Gramps stapled the targets in strange places on the cardboard backings.......which is NO excuse. You need to be able to hit center of anything at any height!

I now know for sure that, other than extended mag release and night sights NONE of my Glocks will ever be modified again.

We came home and I told Gramps I wanted to clean both of my carry guns because I have not used the Frog Lube yet (I've been lazy and let him do the cleaning since we bought the Frog Lube). I firmly believe that even though Glocks will run dirty for months, A CLEAN GUN IS A HAPPY GUN.

I LOVE FROG LUBE!!!!!

And now I am once again happy to have my G26 back in my carry rotation. So are my guns!

==================

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    Nice shooting.
    I'm not sure why you traded in the 19 instead of the 17.
    Fitch
    I truly do not remember why I did that either! I had purchased the 34 and at the time didn't feel I needed 3 guns that were close in size, but none of which was exactly "carry-small". If you notice in an earlier post, I had lost around 35 pounds and no longer had the fat layer in which to "snuggle" a larger gun. TMI? Sorry about that.

So, I traded the 19 for the 26 as a carry gun and kept the 17 and 34 for competition guns.

If I could go back in time I WOULD NOT HAVE GIVEN UP MY 19 - no way.

We live and hopefully we learn.

==================

I am going to guess the gun was in battery, the striker fell, and the primer was bad, twice.
    TY54712

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonsay View Post
    I am going to guess the gun was in battery, the striker fell, and the primer was bad, twice.
    Sorry, Simonsay - it happened 3 times,not twice. Once in each magazine. And I've had "dimpled primers" before. No dimples. It was the spring.

==================

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Sorry, Simonsay - it happened 3 times,not twice. Once in each magazine. And I've had "dimpled primers" before. No dimples. It was the spring.
    I'll have to think about this one. But... if it's in battery enough to drop the striker, it should have dimpled the primer, I think.
    TY54712

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links