Glock 26 for Back Up Gun?

This is a discussion on Glock 26 for Back Up Gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone use the 26 for a back up gun? Where do you carry (ankle holster, in boot etc)? I like Glocks and with summer ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RoadRunner71
  • 1 Post By Navydude

Thread: Glock 26 for Back Up Gun?

Does anyone use the 26 for a back up gun? Where do you carry (ankle holster, in boot etc)? I like Glocks and with summer coming on my G19 is getting harder to carry. Any suggestions appreciated.

VIP Member
    Confused here.

Are you looking to carry the G26 as a SECOND gun to back up a primary or, do mean to carry instead of the G19?

It will do very well in either role.

If you use it as an alternate primary, carry as you do your G19.

If you want to use it as a BUG/secondary carry gun, I prefer to carry on my support side. I know some like to carry it on an ankle but I think it is a bit much if you spend any amount of time on your feet.
    los likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Probably did not explain my self very well.

I carry strong side with my G19 and with the morning cool I usually have it covered with a vest or light jacket. As the day warms up (even with blossoming my dress shirt out) it may or may not be covered. I end up leaving it in my truck (outside sales rep) in lock box but now I have no gun. So sometimes backup gun and sometimes primary gun.

Last year the Sheriff of Mingo County was shot in his car while eating lunch on the side of the road. I do this same thing everyday. I use a vehicle holster but don't like leaving it for the whole world to see. I travel some very remote areas and have been trying to figure out what arrangement I can make.

Quote Originally Posted by Navydude View Post
    Does anyone use the 26 for a back up gun? Where do you carry (ankle holster, in boot etc)? I like Glocks and with summer coming on my G19 is getting harder to carry. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Strongside in a Galco Yaqui Slide. When I carry mine it's the "gun du jour" for me although the 26 will make a fine back up gun if you're so inclined.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I carried one in a vest holster as a back-up to my duty G-19/ G-17 for quite a few years. I tried carrying it in an ankle holster but it did not work for me. IMHO a G-26 is a great BUG! Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    I carried one in a vest holster as a back-up to my duty G-19/ G-17 for quite a few years. I tried carrying it in an ankle holster but it did not work for me. IMHO a G-26 is a great BUG! Good luck!
    Thanks 5lima30ret. Friends are telling me to go to .380 for small size but am partial to the 9mm.
    5lima30ret likes this.

My G26 fills both a primary and back up role if needed. It is very versatile which is 1 thing I love. I can also adjust magazine size from the normal G26 mag to G17 mags depending on the role it is playing at the time.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

VIP Member
    Being as it has more capacity and is larger than my primary carry, I'd say it would make an excellent BUG.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member
    For me, it is a little to heavy and wide for a primary gun so I would not use it for a BUG. Around here, small .380's are the choice of most of the LEO for a BUG. They carry enough stuff on them without adding a lot more weight and bulk. When I was young, my friends and I could not arm ourselves enough. If you survive to old age and never had to fire a shot in anger, the thought of carrying another gun is not appealing. We are more concerned about medical issues because the people around us are dying from health issues, not criminal violence. Priorities!
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Navydude View Post
    G26 as main carry with a 12 round mag backup; possibly going to the G42 as a pocket carry or backup. At a total of 33.4 oz (unloaded), 40.7 oz (loaded) it is a reasonable combo. for 2 gun EDC (13.7+19.7, 14.6+26.1)

G26 is a good bug, uses same mags as G19. It's ok for a primary. Some cops seem to carry them on vests under the shoulder.

Carrying on support side makes most people pretty wide. Might as well carry 2 G19s.

Slip an LCP or similar in a pocket.

Links