Beretta 92FS vs PX4 Storm 9mm

This is a discussion on Beretta 92FS vs PX4 Storm 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need a little help making a decision. I am about to start a new security job and need a duty pistol that follows these ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Beretta 92FS vs PX4 Storm 9mm

Beretta 92FS vs PX4 Storm 9mm

I need a little help making a decision. I am about to start a new security job and need a duty pistol that follows these requirements:

-has to be 9mm
    -has a manual safety
    -has a decocker

I am looking at two pistols. The Beretta 92FS and the Beretta PX4 Storm. I have no way to test fire either of these, but I have handled both and even though they are different in feel, they both feel good in my hands. I know the 92FS is a good bit heavier, but since this is a duty pistol and will be worn on a good belt holster, I am not concerned with the weight. I have read the 92FS is rated for 30,000+ rounds, which is a big plus. Not sure what the PX4 Storm is rated at, but have heard that both pistols have the same reliability. I would assume that the 92FS is a bit more durable with the metal frame so that is another bonus.

Does anyone here have any experience with both pistols? I would like to know your shooting impressions on both. And the other thing I am wondering is the concealability of both. If I am not working and am out running errands, I want to be able to carry it comfortably and be able to conceal it well. I generally carry concealed in an IWB holster around 4 O'clock. How is some of your experiences carrying these pistols? I am 5'9", 180 lbs. Your opinions and experiences are greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

PX4 Storm. Safety acts as a decocker. I like my compact a lot. Admittingly, I haven't shot a 92FS yet and I don't shoot 9mm. As for durability, the Storm is rated as a duty pistol also. If it can't handle 30,000 rounds then I'm S.O.L because that's more than I expect to shoot out of it in 5 years

How comfortable is it to carry? I am used to carrying Glocks and have no problems with those.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamSean View Post
    I need a little help making a decision. I am about to start a new security job and need a duty pistol that follows these requirements:

-has to be 9mm
    -has a manual safety
    -has a decocker

I am looking at two pistols. The Beretta 92FS and the Beretta PX4 Storm.

Does anyone here have any experience with both pistols? I would like to know your shooting impressions on both. And the other thing I am wondering is the concealability of both. If I am not working and am out running errands, I want to be able to carry it comfortably and be able to conceal it well. I generally carry concealed in an IWB holster around 4 O'clock. How is some of your experiences carrying these pistols? I am 5'9", 180 lbs. Your opinions and experiences are greatly appreciated.
    How comfortable is it to carry? I am used to carrying Glocks and have no problems with those.
    I've had a 92FS for 20+ years and PX4 Storms in both full size and compact for a couple of years now. Both are soft shooting reliable 9mm pistols. Both have safety/decockers that are somewhat awkward to reach and operate. The 92FS trigger in double action is long and heavy, the Storms in double action, a long but somewhat lighter pull. Both triggers require a lot of take up when firing single action. As stated they are soft to shoot and quite easy to shoot accurately with . As for concealed carry, the PX4 Compact has a little bulk and a few ounces on the Glock 19 but the 2 compare in size and I suppose for your purposes, if you're going to get one of the Berettas the PX4 Storm Compact would most closely meet your needs.
    Last edited by wmhawth; May 9th, 2014 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Spelling

I was also looking at the PX4 Storm The Compact and Full Size has a rotating barrel, while the Sub Compact has the Tilt barrel. My only concern on that particular firearm was the slide mounted Decocker/Safety, and how it flairs outward from the frame. I have never shot one, but would like to someday at range that rents them (Mine would be in .40S&W)
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

If you are already accustomed to the weight of the Glock, the PX4 may be a good fit. But the 92FS is a tried and true combat gun that is top notch in terms of reliability, durability, and shooting comfort. I do carry a 92FS and haven't handled a PX4 yet. Either should serve you well, but my vote is for the all metal 92FS.
    Goldy49 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I carried a Beretta 96, which is the 40 S&W version of the 92 for nearly 10 years as a duty pistol. I loved the pistol and think they are very well made. My department switched a few years ago to the PX4 in 40 S&W. Very similar in function but not in feel....at least IMO. Our PX4's have been very reliable and most people like them. The PX4 doesn't handle the recoil of the 40 S&W as well as the 96 but is lighter to carry all day and if I remember correctly carries at least 1 more round. The 9mm Beretta 92's I have shot were very soft shooters....I'm sure the PX4 in a 9mm would be a soft shooter too!
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

I carried the Beretta M9 daily in the military and the PX4 as a civilian and for duty use the PX4 will be lighter and just as reliable. The rotating barrel give less recoil and is very accurate as well.
    Just my 0.02$
    spclopr8tr likes this.
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

I've shot them both, like them both, but I own the 92 and IMHO it is a better weapon. My $.02.

Thanks for the replies. I must say that on the side of looks, the 92FS is a sexier pistol. I think I am leaning more toward it. I just need to find a good IWB Holster for it.

Thanks for the replies. I must say that on the side of looks, the 92FS is a sexier pistol. I think I am leaning more toward it. I just need to find a good IWB Holster for it.
    If we're factoring in looks the 92FS has a leg up in my opinion. It's a handsome pistol for sure. Mine rides easy in a Galco Combat Master when it gets carried. I doubt you'll want to carry it inside the waist band.

I haven't shot the PX4 but have put many hundreds of rounds through the 92. It is one very nice shooting gun and is very comfortable in the hand. That's the one I'd personally go for.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Quote Originally Posted by true grit View Post
    I carried the Beretta M9 daily in the military and the PX4 as a civilian and for duty use the PX4 will be lighter and just as reliable. The rotating barrel give less recoil and is very accurate as well.
    Just my 0.02$
    I own them both. I carry the PX4 due to the 6 oz. weight difference, the grip fits me better, and my 92 is the INOX version which I'd prefer to keep in more pristine condition. The PX4 is a tool. The 92FS is art. They shoot about the same. The rotating barrel of the PX4 seems to compensate for the lighter weight, while the added weight of the FS absorbs the recoil.
    wmhawth and EdJean like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Maryland Shall Issue

I owb both a the 92fs and compact some notes :

1. The compact is a bit smaller in the grip so might be easier to carry ..
    2. Unless you get a newer model the 92 will be a pain to add night sigts or a light or laser too.. You only real option is either bolt on something or fit laser grips
    3. The 92 is very very heavy gun well made and easy to fire though
    4. For me mine seemed iffy about steel case brown bear ammo so if you want the shoot el cheopo steel case you might have issues
    5. Being able to load an fire single shot is great and nice if you lose the mag ..
    6.It is a a decent sielencer host and seemed ok with most sub sonic rounds ( but 45 is still quiter )
    7. The railed modle seem to be pretty hard to find holster for
    8. This was the US mil gun for a long time and it is relibaly good gun
    9.. Is the key .. Never ever used non Factory or mecgaer mags .. US mil issued mags should not be used ... THat is why the mil hatted them .. Bad mags and mags not made for sand storms .. The factory new mags are good to go
    10. The guns have a very very large cap 17-30 rounds .. Nice plus there

As for them verus the storm I can not say on the storm as I dont own one but I like the look of them and that the grips can be changed out ...

92 is a great gun but dont expect the 1 billion options of add on the glocks have .. You can add night sigts but unless you get a 92a1 you will have to drill out the front sigts to add them .. Ditto the rail save the 92a1 there is no rail so if you got lights you want to add.

But they are easy to take down and nice to shoot

Plus Die hard and leathal weapon
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Well folks, I am the proud new owner of the Beretta 92FS. It just looked sexier. It feels great in my hands, feels solid as a rock, and I can't wait to get it out to the range tomorrow morning. I am anxious to see how it does compared to the Glocks I am more accustomed to shooting.
    EdJean, firerat and redbirddog5 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links