First range trip with a snub nose - new LCR

This is a discussion on First range trip with a snub nose - new LCR within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, finally took another step of completion in the world of CC. Got myself my first snub nose. 059.JPG 058.JPG Was torn between a S&W ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: First range trip with a snub nose - new LCR

Distinguished Member

Well, finally took another step of completion in the world of CC. Got myself my first snub nose.

059.JPG058.JPG

Was torn between a S&W 442 or the Ruger LCR. After a few weeks of thinking, decided on the LCR, mostly for the ability swap out the front post for a visible tritium front sight from XS sights (although I haven't found one in stock anywhere online yet), and for the reviews of a slightly smoother trigger.

After fondling it for a day or two, I finally got it to the range a few weeks ago. Just ran a box of UMC 38 spl through it. Really pretty pleasant to shoot, a good bit nicer than I was expecting. The nice hogue rubber grip seems to help soak up some of the recoil. I didn't do too bad accuracy wise, but I had big plans to run this thing all the way out to 10-15 yards and still be able to hit bullseye's - that's going to take some practice, lol. Here's my first shots @ 4 yards, then some more @ 5 + 7 yards.
    043.JPG046.JPG045.JPG044.JPG

As I continued to shoot more, I noticed my shots walking up and to the right. Did some dry fires to help get back on track, but it seems easy for me to over squeeze the grip, kind of seems like I started to dig the bottom of my palm down into the grip and "heel" the shots up when anticipating the trigger break. Anyways, it was fun to shoot (at least with regular target loads)- a big positive for me with such a small and lite gun. I look forward to working with this gun, really had a good time shooting it, something that didn't happen my last outing with a revolver.

It fits well in the pocket with a cheap uncle mikes holster. The draw is easy enough, if I make sure to get a good, deep, full grip before pulling it out, and somehow the holster always stays in my pocket with this setup - really wasn't expecting that by looking at the holster.

It won't be getting a full time EDC status, I prefer a fighting size gun if I get to choose. But it will fill a role for a pocket gun when that's what I need.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    I love my KLCR. I can clean the steel plates with mine at the range. You will get very good accuracy out of a 2" barrel with a lil practice ! Congrats on a god choice, enjoy !
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

The LCR is a great gun and my favorite choice to carry.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I love mine but it is hard on my bad elbow. When I get tired my shots start to wander badly. You did some fine shooting though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

LOVE the LCR! Just a great gun all around!

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk
    Student of the Gun; a beginner once, a student for life.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post

Was torn between a S&W 442 or the Ruger LCR. After a few weeks of thinking, decided on the LCR, mostly for the ability swap out the front post for a visible tritium front sight from XS sights
    Not sure how important that will be in the long run.

The nice hogue rubber grip seems to help soak up some of the recoil.
    I ran a cylinder full of factory 125 grain JHP .357 through a light LCR. It really wasn't all that bad.

that's going to take some practice, lol.
    That they do.

It fits well in the pocket with a cheap uncle mikes holster. The draw is easy enough, if I make sure to get a good, deep, full grip before pulling it out, and somehow the holster always stays in my pocket with this setup - really wasn't expecting that by looking at the holster.
    The DeSantis Nemesis is a step up. Mika is a big step up, in pocket holsters. Try either of them.

It won't be getting a full time EDC status, I prefer a fighting size gun if I get to choose. But it will fill a role for a pocket gun when that's what I need.
    Pocket carry is discreet. NO one looks at your pockets.
    5lima30ret and BamaT like this.

VIP Member
    Hey - doggone good targets for first time with tiny lightweight gun! Good enough right now to stop a threat.

With a little slow practice you'll soon be right on all the time - then get faster and farther away - THEN think of what you can do against a bad guy up close with a couple really quick shots! Voilà!

YES - it will most definitely fill the role for a pocket gun when you need it!
    redbirddog5 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Love my LCR 38, mine quickly became my EDC.

Mine has the factory tritium front sight. I kind of like having it, not sure how practical it really is. I agree on the DeSantis Nemesis being a step from Uncle Mikes. I have one, and I actually think it's a pretty big step up. I've heard Mika is one of the best, and I plan on getting one of those.

You're off to a good start with the snubbie. Keep practicing, you will get better.
    Last edited by BamaT; May 10th, 2014 at 10:12 AM.
    redbirddog5 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

I like my LCR just can't get myself to carry it over my kahr. My wife likes it so I keep it. I can destroy steel with it so I don't know why I don't carry it. 5 shots over 8 I guess.

I got my XS sight from Shop Ruger dot com. My LCR357 is in my pocket now backing up my SP101. Sometimes I carry the LCR357 AIWB and use a 442 for the pocket. The LCR has become my everyday always gun.

This is what is so crazy about DC.

I was literally talking to my girl tonight about getting her a LCRx for on the body carry. Pros/cons etc...our range has one we can rent and if she likes it - I decided it was coming home. Now Miller_Man got one...perfect.

Thanks for enabling me and grats on the new snubbie!
    redbirddog5 and Haywood like this.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Make it a point to practice one hand point and shoot. That will more than likely be the scenario if you need it.

I've been carrying a snubby for over forty six years and half of my practice sessions are done in that manner at a distance of ten feet. Continue the dry firing. It helps alot.
    shockwave likes this.

Congrats on the LCR. Pretty nice shooting, IMO, especially 1st time out. Enjoy.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    Not sure how important that will be in the long run.

The DeSantis Nemesis is a step up.
    Well, maybe not for a defensive situation, but I intend to practice with it, a LOT. My eyesight is pretty bad, so a big white dot will help tremendously. Will have to check out the nemisis, probably will get one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    I got my XS sight from Shop Ruger dot com.
    Just went and checked them out, when I get paid next, I'll order one - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JaegerOne View Post
    Make it a point to practice one hand point and shoot. That will more than likely be the scenario if you need it.

I've been carrying a snubby for over forty six years and half of my practice sessions are done in that manner at a distance of ten feet. Continue the dry firing. It helps alot.
    Thanks, good advice - will have make sure to work on that. Really don't feel like the support hand does a whole lot anyways.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

My Sight came with a punch to remove the old sight and set the new one. The punch was soft and bent very easy. I had to use one we had at are shop to finish installation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links