Membership in the Snubbie Club

This is a discussion on Membership in the Snubbie Club within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mine just came in - a S&W 638 Airweight. Caliber: .38 S&W Special +P Capacity: 5 Rounds Barrel Length: 1.875" Action: Single/Double Action Overall Length: ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Membership in the Snubbie Club

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar

Membership in the Snubbie Club

Mine just came in - a S&W 638 Airweight.

Caliber: .38 S&W Special +P
    Capacity: 5 Rounds
    Barrel Length: 1.875"
    Action: Single/Double Action
    Overall Length: 6.31"
    Material: Aluminum Alloy Frame
    Stainless Steel Cylinder
    Weight Empty: 15.1 oz

Feels great in the hand, perfectly balanced. Fit, finish, quality are all what you'd expect in a Smith. Lockup and timing are clockwork, cylinder cone gap feels like the reported .005. The hump-back frame allows for a higher hand purchase than the regular type, so these tend to be on the more-accurate side of the equation. And those are the CorBon 38 Special +P 110gr DPX. You can argue ammo all day long, but these are consistently rated in the top 3 of any list.

I'd been hunting for this model in the 2.5" barrel config, but looking at ballistics comparisons, I discovered that the 1.875" delivers almost the same velocity and foot-pounds on impact, and is lighter and easier to carry.

Will add a range report and final photos after installing the frame plug (and whoops - betcha while I'm doing that the frame lock will accidentally fall out and get lost, because tragedy can strike suddenly to anyone) and custom wood grips. Haven't found a holster yet so just using this Galco pocket for the time being. No rush - this is just a casual carry for light duty. My thanks to everyone on this board who reports on snubbie ownership - you helped me decide.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

2. Remove Ads

Nice wheelie
    gatorbait51 and shockwave like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Good one! If a person desires a light-weight snub then that model has everything he could want. Snag-free design for dedicated pocket use yet offers choices of double-action or single-action capabilities. Ought to be more popular than the Smith & Wesson Model 642.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Got mine in my pocket right now. Your going to love that gun.

Thanks, tdave. Haven't fired it yet but I'm already loving it. Nothing wrong with my semi-autos, but revolvers just feel so good in the hand and point so naturally.
    gatorbait51 and ginzo like this.

MAN! What a sweetie pie! Is that a lock, or no-lock? I highly recommend you upgrade to Barami Hip-Grips. Here is my 642-1 no lock with the grips installed, also with a Tyler-T grip:

The Barami allows the operator to "clip" the gun onto there belt to provide a sort of IWB holster option, but without the holster. They are excellent. Comfortable, extremely concealable and very secure with a good belt.

If one shoots it well, it's really about the only SD gun one would need.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Rugeroo - like I mentioned, I'm taking care of the lock with this solution.

Those are nice grips you have. Will take a look.
    gatorbait51 and ginzo like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugeroo357 View Post
    MAN! What a sweetie pie! Is that a lock, or no-lock? I highly recommend you upgrade to Barami Hip-Grips. Here is my 642-1 no lock with the grips installed, also with a Tyler-T grip:

The Barami allows the operator to "clip" the gun onto there belt to provide a sort of IWB holster option, but without the holster. They are excellent. Comfortable, extremely concealable and very secure with a good belt.
    Did you have any issues with obtaining the Tyler grips ? I need two sets for the Model 12s
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait51 View Post
    Did you have any issues with obtaining the Tyler grips ? I need two sets for the Model 12s
    Make that 3 sets, my M12 needs a Tyler as well.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Great choice for a first snubbie! I also started with a 638 (that I had with me while fishing today). I liked the Bodyguard style so much I purchased a model 49 all-steel recently. For a pocket holster consider a Mika. I've got another one on order. Best pocket holster out there. Enjoy!
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Congrats.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    Got mine in my pocket right now. Your going to love that gun.
    Ditto
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    And to the OP. Mine has Crimson Trace grips on it because I had a stupid moment. I don't even know if the batteries still work. But I've been shooting mine with these grips for some years and I'm accustomed to the feel of the grips so I keep them on it. Save yourself 250 samolies and just learn to shoot yours as is. CS grips, in my humblest of opinions, are fun and that's all. They're very helpful in bringing a new shooter closer in to the fold for that reason. Think of how much ammo you can buy with $250. Just sayin. Spend some of that savings on a trigger job and you'll be way ahead of the game.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    Sure is Purdy .....................
    shockwave likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links