Straight Poop On the P3-AT

This is a discussion on Straight Poop On the P3-AT within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Kel-Tec (2nd generation .380) shoots well enough and all, but I'm afraid that I might outlast it. Contemplating just working on different ways to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Straight Poop On the P3-AT

Straight Poop On the P3-AT

My Kel-Tec (2nd generation .380) shoots well enough and all, but I'm afraid that I might outlast it. Contemplating just working on different ways to carry my Ruger SP101 and calling it a day. Any thoughts on long-term ownership of the P3-AT?

2. Remove Ads

In my area they cost $260 new. If you like yours and feel comfortable with it. Shoot a little every month and carry it alot. You could buy 2 and alternate between them. My 1st gen took several trips to Fl. before it came back reliable. I carry it when every I can't carry something larger.

VIP Member
    Mine has had 7,000 rounds down range without a problem. We shot it to death to see if it would start having the issues everyone has with them, and it has not.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Thanks and your Lt. Col. North quote is painfully true.

VIP Member
    He is one of my favorites. Probably because he feels the same way I do about Marines and people other than Marines.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

The P3AT is definitely a shoot-little / carry-a-lot type of gun. When the PF9 has gone to v2.0, I'll swap to that, so that I'll have 9mm across all carry guns. The thing is, there isn't anything as small and light, for discreet carry. There are simply some places where a revolver or 1.2" wide semi-auto can't go. The P3AT is my everywhere gun, regardless of whether the primary comes along (which it normally does).

As for durability, I have yet to see any noticeable wear on the gun, though I've only got a few hundred rounds through it. It's always there. And it always works. The more folks I hear from who have carried one for awhile, the more I think it's an unbeatable package.

That said, absolutely carry just the Ruger SP101 if you can all the time. In a .357 format, it's one rough old boy, and will be able to handle the stoutest loads imagined. Durable beyond belief. Heavier, but then that just serves to improve the follow-up shots and consistency. Nice gun ... if you can pack it everywhere.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Mine sucked, while shooting it the magazine would drop to the floor no matter what I did. I just sold it instead of fussing with it. Other people swear by them. I just got a lemon I guess.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

I've had no problems with Keltec, but it is not a gun I'd shoot all the time, but I DO carry it all the time. I believe it was designed for its intended purpose, a small, light weight easily concealable reliable firearm you could have WITH you when you need it, rather than a gun intended for heavy or even steady usage. It is not a target gun or one intended for competition. Now the Ruger SP 101, you can't hurt that puppy. ALL my Ruger guns have seen heavy usage and NONE have ever given me trouble. My Vaqueros have been going strong with ZERO problems for over 7 years now and I can't even imagine how much ammo I've fired through them. They get used every month, sometimes every week, not to mention all the dry firing.
    Last edited by sass20485; February 5th, 2007 at 07:12 PM.

I thought about getting one at one time but I have just heard too many people say they have has issues with theirs.

Still, the gun is a very appealing package. Small gun, .380 cal, very thin. A real last ditch back up gun.

I just can't quite bring myself to get one yet.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

my p3at has some "fte" during the first 300 rounds. broke two extractors. kel tec mailed news one a.s.a.p. around 500 rounds broke a hammer spring. kel tec mailed the parts out again a.s.a.p. now it is 100% with over 700 rounds. so for me i shoot it a lots, and will shoot it some more. if it breaks kel tec will fit it free, no questions asked. no way to wear one out, when kel tec keeps sending you new parts.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    I bought one the other day and have yet to take it to the range. I'm a little worried about longevity on it. It was cheap enough that if it does give out after a few years it won't be a total loss.

I have a P32 and you can shoot the snot out of it! It is easy to shoot and surprisingly accurate. It lives in a pocket holster so it is always with you. I trust it. My friend's P3AT 1st gen has been 100% reliable and my father in law will be picking one up!

All I can say is buy one because if you wear it out, you send it in and fix it like new for ZERO money! Top 3 company from a service standpoint.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Greetings,
    I am fairly new to your forum. As of yet, I have not posted or replied so I guess it's about time to be more than dead weight.

I have owned a P3AT gen 2 for about 2 yrs. It is carried on a regular basis and is shot often enough to maintain an acceptable level of proficiency. I'm not sure how many rounds have gone through it, quite a few I'm sure. As of yet, I have had no ffailures of any type. I have fired only remington ammo. I am well pleased with this gun and do recommend it with few reservations. It can be a little hard on the back of the trigger finger if you fire too many times in a single session. Hope this has helped.
    Howard

Administrator
    I put about 400 fast and furious rounds through mine.

I had initial feed problems with mine but, it's great now after a bit of polishing.

I shot mine to put it through its paces and got it quite hot and dirty and it shot just fine.

It looks like a cheap POS but, it's actually pretty durable...the finish on the slide wears off quickly...at least mine did but, I really don't care about that at all.

I'll ALWAYS dump any gun I buy that gives me problems but, it passed my test and now I trust it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Mine is with me everyday. Only a few FTF in the first 100 or so after that it was fine. Check the trigger guard I had a nasty piece of plastic that would cut me every time I fired it, but a small round file took care of that.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links