Ruger or Glock for CC?

This is a discussion on Ruger or Glock for CC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My brother suggested, over ten years ago, that I get a "little Ruger, you know, five shots?" for personal protection when I was working in ...

Thread: Ruger or Glock for CC?

Ruger or Glock for CC?

My brother suggested, over ten years ago, that I get a "little Ruger, you know, five shots?" for personal protection when I was working in a rather unsavory neighborhood of Seattle. Since then, I've had Rugers on the brain, 'cause I idolize my two older brothers and trust their advice about firearms.

Met a guy, got married, he was tickled to death that I was okay with guns and knives... more than okay with them, actually, so we'd go browsing guns, dreaming about each getting one, going to the range together, etc etc. I was eyeing a Ruger GP100, because I still had those Rugers on my mind from brother's suggestion.

Well, the guy's gone, but I'm still thinking Ruger.

So a couple of days ago, I showed my brother my recent Ruger magazine, and told him I was finally going to get my permit and my firearm and everything, and he pipes in, "Naw, get a Glock."

I said, WHAT? First Ruger, now Glock? Make up my mind, would you!

Since then, I've been trying to read about Glocks too. So I'm lost.

Any suggestions, for or agin'?

I really REALLY like the GP100. I've held the SP101, and was frowning about its tiny little grip (I've got huge hands for a woman), but then realized it's that small for the purpose of concealed carry. So I could live with it. I could also get the GP100 in a shorter barrel (I was favoring the 4" barrel, but I could get 3" too).

I've only fired .38 Special revolvers, never a .357 or a semi-automatic, so I'm just about as newbie as it gets. Any friendly advice is most welcomed, for either Ruger or Glock.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The answer is a matter of personal preference as they both have models acceptable for CC. I could give you my opinion, but it might be different than yours. The best advice is some you will see here often... go to a range and try them out. If you can't find a friend who owns one that will let you try it, find a range that has rentals. It's well worth your time and money to do so if you are looking for a gun that's just right for you.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

PJH
    Welcome!

I'll be the first of many to say:

Get whichever fits you better.

Seriously, if at all possible, go to a range that rents handguns and try both -- as well as any other pistols that strike your fancy -- before making a decision. Think about how and when you want to carry; i.e. on belt, in a purse, in a pocket, carry always or only to/from work, or...?

Make sure you are comfortable with the action type you choose. The conventional wisdom has always been that DA or DAO revolvers are excellent choices for new shooters -- simple operation, simple maintainance, pull trigger, goes bang.

The Glock is a great pistol ( there's one on my hip as I type this), and it's about as close to a revolver as you can get in a semiauto. Excellent reliability, no extra levers, bells, whistles, or doodads -- pull trigger, goes bang. This is one major reason so many police departments use Glocks; they are very easy to learn and use for new recruits with little or no firearms experience or interest. The Glock 19, IMO, is an excellent choice for CC. It is lightweight, small enough to conceal with relative ease, yet large enough to get a good grip and very easy to control with light recoil.

Here's the downside: For an inexperienced shooter, an accidental discharge is much more likely than with a good DA/DAO revolver like the GP100. Training is essential, regardless of what you are going to choose to carry, but the revolver is far more forgiving in less trained hands.

Sorry for being so long winded. To summarize. Shoot lots of guns. Buy what you like best. Get training. Be safe. Have fun.

-Paul

Edit: Well, I would have been first, if I hadn't rambled.
    Last edited by PJH; January 6th, 2007 at 12:01 PM. Reason: correction

I'm not sure if you have done so already, but visit this website:

http://corneredcat.com/

Then read all of it's chapters, especially "Your First Handgun", since it may help you out in your quest to find "the one". Link to that chapter:

http://corneredcat.com/TOC/TOC.htm#FirstGun

Hope it helps.

Edit - Almost forgot, then find as many rental guns as you can and shoot'em all until you find one you'r comfortable with.

Administrator
    I would forget about the gp100 for cc, its to heavy. I think you will tire of it quickly. The sp101 would be a better choice, and that skinny grip can be changed very easy. Dont let the .357 scare you away, you can always shoot the .38 spec. through it until you are ready to move up to the .357.

Nothing wrong with a Glock, but for a first gun I would stick with a revolver. It is a very personal choice, and as the other posters said, try out both before you buy.

I am a die-hard glock man, and my experience with Glocks have been completely positive, I recommend one with out hesitation.

That said, for a first gun I have to agree that a revolver would be a better choice, IMO.

Your brother evolved

You said that ten years ago your brother recommended the Ruger revolver, and now he recommends the Glock. I suspect he just evolved in his gun experience, and learned a few things in ten years.

You didn't mention how you plan to carry the gun, and that might influence your choice. It is best to carry concealed on your body rather than in a purse or briefcase, since the gun is more quickly available in an emergency. But you would need a clothing style that lends itself to concealment, which means loose fitting and possibly layered in the waist area if you are using belt carry.

The Ruger GP100 is a fairly large, heavy gun and more than most people want to carry on a daily basis. The lighter weight 5 shot Ruger SP101 with short barrel is more easily concealed, but still weighs about 25 ounces empty. The SP101 has a fairly heavy double action trigger, and is difficult to shoot accurately in double action mode without a lot of practice.

In the Glock lineup, you would probably go with a 9mm, which comes in several models ranging in size from small (G26) to medium (G19) to large (G17). For on body carry, the small G26 is attractive, as it holds 10 shots and only weighs 21 ounces empty. It is much easier to shoot accurately than the Ruger SP101, in my opinion. The Glock has a constant 5.5 lb. double action (only) trigger, compared to the SP101's possibly 10 lb. DA trigger.

Personally, I would pick the Glock 26 over the Ruger.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I agree- a DA revolver for your first gun. Actually, I STILL carry a revolver. I own a couple of autos, but revolvers are simply cooler (in my opinion, but hey I shoot side by side shotguns).
    Now, Rugers are good. So are Smiths, Colt detective specials, etc. All good choices. the 357/38sp versatility is the best in all of firearms. Reliability with a good revolver is about 100%. Safety is very good, and unloading is simplicity itself.
    Good Luck and God BLess
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

If you like the revolver, and are comfortable with it, get it for your first ccw gun. But, like others I would suggest the SP101 for ccw.

Then, after you are comfortable with it and you want to learn more about gun and about semi-autos in particular, try the Glock.

I will tell you, I think the Glock would be easier to carry concealed. But, there is a big difference between the SP101 and the Glock.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Thanks to everybody for the most helpful suggestions and different perspectives, I appreciate it! I think I'm going to go with getting the SP101 first, since I'm more familiar with using revolvers with a .38 special load, then probably move on to a Glock. Just from what I've read about them, they seem like great guns. My brother said "They're the best."

As for how I plan on carrying, I'm favoring pocket carry, but I'm open on that. All I know is it's going to be on my person, not in a purse. I've had my purse stolen when I was mugged, and if there's a next time, I don't want my gun to go along with it.

Clothing for CCW is not a problem, thank goodness. At least I don't think it is, not having actually done it yet.

First of all, you need to please yourself, as mentioned by others.

With that in mind, my recommendation to you would be to check out the Smith & Wesson 642 with Crimson Trace grips. It's weighs in at 15 ounces and is an adequately powered revolver with .38 Special +P. Best of all is it's simplicity and dependability...for that a revolver can't be matched.

I suggest this gun, since it's exactly what my wife carries. It's worked out very well.

No offense about Rugers, but when it comes to revolvers, Smith & Wesson is the gold standard.

Good luck, and do let us know what you choose!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

whw
    Both are great gun manufacturers. I can only recommend a Glock for CCW if you are dedicated to practicing the ways to overcome failures that can happen with any semiauto pistol. You must know how to clear a stovepipe, deal with fail to extract and fail to feeds. You must be able to quickly recover from magazines that aren't seated fully and be able to react appropriately if a primer doesn't ignite after the trigger is pulled. There are a number of other issues that require the proper training and the discpline of practice.

The revolver on the other hand is relatively simple for the user. There aren't any FTE's, FTF's. There are no magazine issues to deal with and you don't have to worry if your gun "likes" the ammo you have selected. Point and pull the trigger. If it doesn't fire, pull the trigger again.

I carry an SP101 in a strong side Inside the Waistband holster and a Smith and Wesson 642 in a weak side pocket holster as a backup gun. Bianchi speed strips with extra rounds are kept in the strong side pocket.

I'm a Glock Armorer, and believe me, the Glock's are great guns. They just take more practice if you want to become proficient.

Good luck with your choice.

whw

I have a G21, G30, and my wife has a SP101. All three are very nice shooters. Given the size of the SP101 it has little recoil, even with .357 rounds.

For me it boils down to what you can shoot the best. If you go with .38/.357 or higher caliber, and hit your target you can't go wrong.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

For ccw the ruger Sp-101 and Gp-100 3" are darn near perfect carryguns and viable choices. The Glocks are good to,but there both good if you make them work for you. On one hand I ccw %90 a wheelgun and %10 a auto or both a wheel and a auto. So there is no right answer and I say use what you are comfortable with. THey will take care of you and your loved ones.

Links