Time for night sights!

This is a discussion on Time for night sights! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No doubt i have been putting off a set of night sights for my G19, but after shooting my buddies gun which has the ameriglos ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Time for night sights!

Time for night sights!

No doubt i have been putting off a set of night sights for my G19, but after shooting my buddies gun which has the ameriglos i am sold. There are three i'm considering the Trijicons, the Meprolights (yellow rear, green front), and the XS big dots. Now i know Trij is a favorite for most, and the Mepro's are a good set of sights for the money but i know there is also a lot of controversy about the XS big dots. Who here has the XS sights? or better yet who's had all three and which did you like the best? why? From everything I've read i'm starting to like the big dots because of their simplicity. I must add that this is my carry gun, i don't do any competition shooting, and will typically always be used in 25 yds or less.
    XS-Sight-Systems-24-7-Big-Dot-Glock.jpg
    Kennydale likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

2. Remove Ads

Ameriglo I-Dot Pros go on any Glock or M&P I buy. They are easy to install yourself. Straight 8 sight picture, which is what my eyes like. Painted highly visible front sight for quick acquisition in lighted situations, with tritium for low light. Ledge rear sight for one handed slide manipulations. Priced better than the Trijicons, and they use Trijicon tritium.

Mdauben, wscottp7 and miller_man like this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Meprolites are excellent and my fav and what come on glocks from the factory and what I added to my G22,they also come on KAHR and plenty of others
    TruGlos are nice , I have them on my G23 but the rears were really tight and needed filing to fit my slide,they are also large and take up alot of realestate
    on the top of your slide but they are BRIGHT 24/7 like no others
    I have trijicons on my 1911s,nice but over priced and not as good for me as Mepros
    The secret to success, whether it's women or money, is knowing when to quit. I oughta know: I'm divorced and broke

I prefer the 1-dot or bar-dot style sights (Heine, I-Dot, XS) to the more common 3-dot style. I joust find even after much practice that 3-dots are (for me at least) much slower to align.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S4 far, far away...
    Mike

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense.”
    John Adams (Americas 2nd US President)

I was thinking of XS Big Dots on my SR40C. I do not do any competition, and there is no one I need to impress with scores on a paper target. I do know there is some controversy on these sights over others. But I feel their purpose would suit my needs.
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I am a big fan of the XS Big Dots and the Ameriglo Pro I-Dots. I have found them to be very quick and accurate. Having said that, I no longer use that style of sight on my handguns anymore. The main reason is my issued duty weapon uses the standard 3 dot Trijicons. I wanted to keep my back up firearm and off duty firearm as close to my duty firearm as possible.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Who here has the XS sights? or better yet who's had all three and which did you like the best? why?
    In addition to the stock Glock sights my own G19 has had both the XS Big Dots and the Trijicon HDs. I personally prefer the Trijicon HDs with the orange front sight and it's what I run now on all my Glocks. I didn't do well with the XS Big dots due mainly to my own vision problems in "dotting the i". Many people do like them of course.

Meprolights on all of my Glocks except for my G23 which came with factory installed night sights.

The controversy of XS sights is nothing more that internet nonsense. If you are accurate with a pistol to begin with, you will be accurate with big dots. I had them on my shield and loved them. I am about to put the on my new G23. But the others you listed are excellent too.

Worst case scenario you hate them and you can smell them and buy something else.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

These old progressive lens wearing eyes favor the Trijicon HD night sights.

I prefer AmeriGlo Pro I Dot for night sights on my Glock [GL-301] and M&P [SW-301/601] carry pistols. I've tried both XS Big Dot and Trijicon 3-dot sights and ended up returning most of them. Wasn't as consistently accurate with the XS and 3-dots are slower to figure out when my mind is fatigued. In addition to AmeriGlo, the only other sights I have on any carry gun is Hiviz front sights. And all my sights must be White or Green.

P1010693.JPG
    tmoore912 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    Ameriglo I-Dot Pros go on any Glock or M&P I buy. They are easy to install yourself. Straight 8 sight picture, which is what my eyes like. Painted highly visible front sight for quick acquisition in lighted situations, with tritium for low light. Ledge rear sight for one handed slide manipulations. Priced better than the Trijicons, and they use Trijicon tritium.

I agree with the I-dots put a set on my M&P and now I'm hooked. I'll be putting them on my other guns soon.

tmoore912 likes this.
    "Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid."

Here are my Meprolights in the dark and low light mounted on my G29SF

Meprolights on G29 Dark.jpgMeprolights on G29.jpg

Hope you guys can fill me in on what I am missing. I was 32 years LEO and a firearms instructor, but certainly don't know it all. Why night sights? If I am at a range and using my sights there is usually adequate light, or a flashlight. When doing combat/tactical I usually do not use my sights at all. I always wondered, if it is so dark that your sights glow, and you are not using a flashlight, should you even be shooting? Probably missing something, input appreciated. Wondering if it is a marketing scheme.
    Rabbit212 and JusAguy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cop154 View Post
    Hope you guys can fill me in on what I am missing. I was 32 years LEO and a firearms instructor, but certainly don't know it all. Why night sights? If I am at a range and using my sights there is usually adequate light, or a flashlight. When doing combat/tactical I usually do not use my sights at all. I always wondered, if it is so dark that your sights glow, and you are not using a flashlight, should you even be shooting? Probably missing something, input appreciated. Wondering if it is a marketing scheme.
    I figure if I'm already changing out stock sights (glock usually), then why not. I can't see myself ever saying "I wish I would have kept the stock sights instead of these Trijicons/Ameriglo/Meprolight/etc". Some of them help me focus faster/better at the range, so I have nothing to really complain about. If the sights sacrificed daytime shooting for the sake of the tritium inserts, then I'd be against them.
    tmoore912 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links