stainless vs. aluminum

This is a discussion on stainless vs. aluminum within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking into the Kimber 1911's and read on their site that some are stainless and some are aluminum. Can anyone educate me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stainless vs. aluminum

stainless vs. aluminum

I have been looking into the Kimber 1911's and read on their site that some are stainless and some are aluminum.

Can anyone educate me on what effect the different materials have on a gun and what the positives and negatives are?

Also, can anyone recommend any of the Kimbers? This will be my first 1911. I have held many of the various Kimbers and love the way they all feel. I think I have narrowed it down to a 4" but there seem to be so many to choose from.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

the aluminum frames are for a lighter weight and most of the time you wont have any problems

but you have to watch what mags you use and hollowpoints as they can mar the feedramp

I prefer a stainless gun but have had the lightweights

you will find lots of people recommend kimbers I only have one so i cant say how they are but reading all the problems keeps me from buying more .

Some pistols have a feed ramp built into the barrel,which would save wear on an alloy frame.

I prefer a stainless
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    Some pistols have a feed ramp built into the barrel,which would save wear on an alloy frame.
    true but i think only the 3" kimbers have that not the 4's which he is looking at I know there has been a lot of talk of frame wear on the 4" kimbers on the 1911 forums

Thanks for the tips.

I think I may have narrowed it down to the Compact Stainless II but I'm still researching a bit.

+1 on stainless

As for differences, stainless slightly heavier with better wear, but most probally wouldn't wear out an aluminum anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mediapimp View Post
    Thanks for the tips.

I think I may have narrowed it down to the Compact Stainless II but I'm still researching a bit.
    That is a very good choice! I would have recommend that one as well. Also they offer the Pro Carry HD II's with a stainless frame if you want a full size grip. You are on the right track.

Aluminum frames are nice and I do have them but I am the most confortable with my all stainless steel gun for carry. I do carry the light weights of course as they are well, lighter and at the end of a long carry day it makes a difference. Get the right holster and belt and you will be fine with any steel gun you get.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I've got a CZ P01 9mm and it's forged aluminum. I've also got a Browning BDM that's made of steel, though it's nearly as light. Both are similar, but the BDM's nose-heavy weight allows it to better handle hotter rounds, allows for more-consistent follow-up shots, and feels better after 500rds in a day. So, for me, from the standpoint of "feel" and ability to handle recoil/rise, steel gets the nod. Generally speaking, a good steel can be a bit more compact than an alum. counterpart. Depending on the quality of the design (ie, think enough or too thin), quality of the material and processing (ie, cast vs forged), comparing two examples can be difficult.

Of the Kimbers I have held or shot, I prefer the Pro CDP II format, I suppose. Aluminum frame, 4" bbl. However, for me it's a bit large to carry. The CZ P01 is about as large as I'd like to go. Every 1/2" off in any dimension makes a huge difference in ability to conceal, for me. The Ultra series of Kimbers would be fine, but then that's into the 3" bbl format (reliability) and the grips are simply too small for my wider hands. YMMV, of course. Definitely, prior to purchase handle as many different ones as you can.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have been reading a bit over at 1911forums and many people recommend the full-size Custom II as a first 1911.

I am undecided on whether I will carry the Kimber or just use it as a range/home defense gun so I figured the 4" would be a nice "in-between" size.

So I'm a little undecided on whether to go with the Compact Stainless or the Custom II/Stainless II.

ccw9mm, I may be trading in my PM9 for a Kimber based on my earlier range experience and your helpful posts on the subject! :)

Don't tell Kahr that, as they've still got my PM9 in the shop. Actually, if it comes back and gives any hint of finicky behavior, it's outta here too. It'll go a long way toward covering the ante for the new 5.56mm AR-15 in the works.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I like to carry a stainless slide with an aluminum frame! Best of both worlds.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I just bought a Bushmaster A3M4 about a month ago. Love it!

So I think I have definitely decided on the Compact Stainless II for its versatility. I think the Custom II would be too large if I wanted to carry it and the Compact fits my hand a little better.

Hopefully I can trade in the Kahr and not lose too much money on it!

Thanks!

Here's a range report on my recently acquired Pro Carry II in stainless (aluminum frame).

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=18724
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Thanks for the link.

I was looking at the Pro Carry II's as well but I think I like the shorter grip for my hand and for concealability a little better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links