Bersa Thunder .380 range report

This is a discussion on Bersa Thunder .380 range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bought the girlfriend one of these for Christmas and just got a chance to shoot it yesterday. We settled on the this gun as a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bersa Thunder .380 range report

Bought the girlfriend one of these for Christmas and just got a chance to shoot it yesterday.

We settled on the this gun as a good compromise for her first gun as something that was small enought to carry, easy to shoot, with at least some degree of stoping power. Im no huge fan of the .380 but it's much better for defensive situations than the .22lr she initially wanted.

My first impression as we handled it at the gun shop was how good it felt in the hand. I have never had much interest in ppk style pistols and had never even handled one but it really felt good and pointed very natural for me. The plastic grips have a convienient thumb rest and my pinky came to rest perfectly on the mag extention. My second impression was that this felt like a quality gun. Everything fit together very tightly. You can shake it from side to side and absolutely nothing rattles. The gf liked how it felt and looked (she rejected many guns on sight alone) so I bought it for $250. Seems in other places they go a little cheaper but thats the price around here.

Everything on this gun fit so tightly I expected some failures during the first shooting session. I'm pleased to report that we experienced 0 failures of any kind during the 150 rounds we fired. The only load we fired was remington umc 95gr fmj. That was all they had at bass pro. Another plesent supprise uppon firing was how little felt recoil there was. My gf has only been shooting with me a few times and is somewhat recoil sensitive. She can shoot my p-95 9mm but anything with more recoil than that she doesn't like. I assumed the little Bersa would have at least that much snap. It didn't. Felt recoil was very mild with very little muzzle flip (probably due to the direct blowback design). Accuracy was decent she was able to keep all shots in the black at 7 yards. As others have mentioned the safety is quite stiff as it the mag release. I expect it will loosen up with time.

If I'm going to complain about anything it's the trigger. In double action it's not overly heavy but it is a little gritty with noticeable stacking at the end. In single action it's plenty light enought but a little mushy. The trigger is not terrible it's just the only thing on this $250 gun that feels like it belongs on a $250 gun.

All and all I am very impresed with this piece. A very well made and functional weapon at a very reasonable price. It has made me have a greater appreciation of this classic design that I never paid much attention to before. I think I'm gonna get me one of these for my self in the near future.
    Here's a pic of the gf taking a shot and the Bersa next to my 642.
    Picture 027.jpg

Picture 034.JPG
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Sorry about the pics. Still trying to figure out this digital camera business.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

I have never shot one of these myself but I "assisted" a young lady with one . She had no prior experience with any Auto (or gun for that matter as far as I could tell). But she quickly picked it up and she qualified with it with a decent score. I believe it was the first time she had even handled it because I had to teach her how to load the Magazines and how to insert and rack the slide back and how to operate the slide release as well in the first few minutes. I ended up her Range partner on our CWP class.

Overall I was impressed with the little gun. It ran flawlessly and shot well and (obviously) was easy to learn.

Assistant Administrator
    Nice write-up.

I first had one about four years ago - it is now my wife's carry. I also set my step daughter up with one when she turned 21 for her carry and finally procured a third for wife of some friends.

They all tried the gun first of course and liked it a lot. True, it has a few minor wrinkles but all in all I do regard it as excellent value and reliable. My local guy still I think puts those out at $219 plus tax.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    The thunder is one of the best buys out there, good choice. Now go get her to lean forward when shooting.

Thanks for the write up.

I'm contemplating the Bersa in the Concealed Carry stainless model (hard to find in my area) or a Walther PPK/s as my next purchase. I've heard nothing but good things on the forum about Bersa.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

I have heard good things about the thunder line, the 9mm is only slightly larger. I have it on my list to check out at the gun show next month. I still prefer the Sig P232 but for $200+ the Bersa may be hard to beat!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Assistant Administrator
    the 9mm is only slightly larger
    Yes, the 9mm is well worthy of consideration. I bought one from dr_cmg here a few months ago and am quite impressed with it.

Lightweight it ain't - which I like - it feels very good in the hand and shoots well too.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hey, who said you could go to my range? that is pretty funny as that is the best kept secret around here and I'm suprised to see it being posted. There is hardly ever anyone there when I'm there, it is so nice to have it to yourself and actually get in some good training.

Gald to also see that you seem to have found a good Bersa. I was in a training class and a lady was in it as well with a Bersa Thunder and that gun was falling apart every time we went to the line. It jammed, it failed to feed, a grip fell off, the mag wouldn't stay seated, it was a mess. She had to finish and qualify in the class after the class was over with duck tape holding the grip on and enough fluff and buff from a smith that was in the class to get it to run fair enough so she could get her certificate.

I was very surprised at seing this happening as I have heard many positive reports on the gun and that was my first experiance with being near one. I guess all production gun's have their "Friday" lemon's out there.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I am trusting that the one I saw was in perfect condition because they had just bought it and her husband had not had time to "fix it" yet...

VIP Member
    My wife really likes her Thunder .380, but she used to complain about the grips. She did not like the hard plastic. I looked around and discovered that Firestorm firearms are manufactured by Bersa and that the Firestorm .380 has rubber grips finger grooves.

I also discovered that these grips fit the Bersa Thunder .380 and that the telephone number for the Firestorm and Bersa are the same - 732-493-0302. I called and ordered the grips for my wife's Bersa and she likes them much better than the standard grips.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Check out www.gggrips.com for some really nice hand made grips in wood if the plastic ones are not to your liking.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

LaP
    My Bersa .380 has been great. For about 18 months now, it's been very accurate, I've had two FTF with truncated ammo only, easy to conceal, and reasonable price. Fine little pistol when loaded with 102gr. Golden Sabers!

i love my little Bersa .380. it's my carry gun in the summer since i can easily conceal IWB with just a t-shirt. my wife also likes shooting it, but is still new to shooting and prefers to stick with her .22lr for now. the safety/decocker will loosen up with time, but you can speed it along with some oil and just working it up and down a lot to wear it down a bit.

What kind of safety glasses was she wearing. I don't see the frames.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links