YES!!!! I did it! Now help me give her a name

This is a discussion on YES!!!! I did it! Now help me give her a name within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Probably a few months ago "youse guys" - my friendly advisors - all encouraged me to get a G42. Since there have been none available ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree198Likes

Thread: YES!!!! I did it! Now help me give her a name

VIP Member

Probably a few months ago "youse guys" - my friendly advisors - all encouraged me to get a G42. Since there have been none available in our immediate area I had plenty of time to keep reading reviews of them and they still sounded like something I would like.

A few weeks ago ShooterGramps asked our LGS to put my name on a waiting list so I'd get a phone call when they next got one or more in stock. In the meantime he stopped at a store about an hour away one day when he was out and about and they had 2 of them. He came home and said he didn't think I'd want one because he could hardly rack the slide it was so terribly stiff. So I put the G42 on my mental back burner.

TODAY I got the phone call! We had been outside spreading mulch and had just finished our lunch. I looked like I had been rode hard and put away wet...........but a quick change, hair brush and some lipstick, and we headed to town.

I was fully expecting to not like the gun and cross that off of my list. After all, I do not really NEED the thing. I was expecting the same really stiff spring problem that Gramps described and prepared to say “thank you ever so much, but I think this is not for me”.

I LOVED IT. I bought it. I think my heart beat was about 250 I was so excited. The clearance OK came through before I was 1/4 of the way through answering the 20+ questions on the computerized form.

I know it is unseemly for an old grey haired woman to jump up and down and shout in a store, but I HAD to do a Tiger Woods fist pump and one loud "YES!"

Now I have a problem you might be able to help me with. My G26 is my Baby Glock. What can I call this new little girl? "Wee little baby?" Toss me some ideas if you will. Winning suggestion gets a virtual hug.

Then we headed to see one of our shooting buddies who told me a few months ago that he had a double order of .380 and wanted to sell some. We bought some from him. Then we stopped at a store on the way home and bought one box of SD ammo. Then we came home and Gramps did a visual inspection and frog lube swish for me.

NEXT: Range trip has to wait. Too much stuff on the schedule. But I will do a range report. You all know what a Glock looks like, but if I wind up shooting it "like a Glock" or I should say, "like a girl", I'll post target pictures.

OH YES: My birthday is in June. Happy Birthday to me, happy birthday to me....
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Lol, well, you are so tickled over it, that you got me tickled for you. Sincere congrats!

I hope you have a ball with it. Btw, do y'all reload? I ask because everyone says .380 is darn hard to find, and wondered were you going to start loading .380.

Congratulations! Sounds like you wanted it so badly you could taste it. Well, Happy Birthday Granny, and may your magazines always be full!

For a name, my suggestion is "Val" - short for Valkyrie, the female warrior virgins of Norse mythology. Norse Mythology | Valkyries choose who goes to Valhalla in Asgard
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Congrats you will love it at the range, very soft shooter an accurate. It feeds all my reloads an starfire sd ammo

Gotta love your excitement and attitude. Reading your post made me smile.

Enjoy your new G42.

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Congrats! Enjoy !
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

VIP Member
    How about calling her Mini G
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    We had been outside spreading mulch and ...
    From shoveling manure to picking up a Glock. Is there a connection? You tell me!

Congrats on the new G42, by the way. Granny, you got it bad. Not that that's a bad thing.

Name: Jane, the li'l gal with some "brass."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I think it's great that you checked it out for yourself. I have learned for myself that just because someone else doesn't like the feel of a gun doesn't mean I won't. That's why one size doesn't fit all.

Enjoy shooting and cc'ing with your new little Bessie.
    Deaconswife

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Lol, well, you are so tickled over it, that you got me tickled for you. Sincere congrats!

I hope you have a ball with it. Btw, do y'all reload? I ask because everyone says .380 is darn hard to find, and wondered were you going to start loading .380.
    A few years ago Gramps had to quit loading .9mm because of producing almost 25% with high primers - AND that was when I could buy 1,000 rounds for $112.75

He only loads .38, .357, .40, .44 and .45 now. No small stuff anymore...........

I don't anticipate shooting this 42 anywhere as often as I shoot my other guns....I have a couple hundred rounds for starters and our friend has quite a bit more I can buy from him.....we shall see how things go.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    A few years ago Gramps had to quit loading .9mm because of producing almost 25% with high primers - AND that was when I could buy 1,000 rounds for $112.75

He only loads .38, .357, .40, .44 and .45 now. No small stuff anymore...........

I don't anticipate shooting this 42 anywhere as often as I shoot my other guns....I have a couple hundred rounds for starters and our friend has quite a bit more I can buy from him.....we shall see how things go.
    Don't see 1000 rounds for less than $300 anywhere in any caliber anymore. Even from companies that remanufacture. congrats on the G42!

Quote Originally Posted by poetdante View Post
    Don't see 1000 rounds for less than $300 anywhere in any caliber anymore. Even from companies that remanufacture. congrats on the G42!

About 20yrs ago, I was picking up batches of 2000rds of "range" loads for about $0.06/rd for 9mm FMJ. JHP was about $0.09/rd. Had quite a number of those cases lying about, for some years. Ran out around ~2007 or so. Haven't seen it much below $0.25/rd since then, and that's been relatively rare.

*sigh*
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

New toys are great fun and with your birthday this close, Happy Birthday to you. We only get one go around so you might as well enjoy it and have some fun along the way. As for a name, hmmmm call her whatever you like and call it well deserved. Now take her to the range and shoot it like ya stole it.

Name her Nadine

Lead Moderator
    Congrats, the one I got to shoot was a nice enough pistol with light recoil I think you will enjoy shooting it.
    ShooterGranny and Aceoky like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links