Refinishing a P239 slide? (carry report too)

This is a discussion on Refinishing a P239 slide? (carry report too) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Sig P239 in 9mm (now that my wife claimed my XD) and the slide is showing some wear from holster and such. ...

Thread: Refinishing a P239 slide? (carry report too)

Refinishing a P239 slide? (carry report too)

I carry a Sig P239 in 9mm (now that my wife claimed my XD) and the slide is showing some wear from holster and such. Nothing bad but I might want to get it refinished in the near future. Anyone have any recommendations on who to send it to to get the work done?

It is currently blued but I am thinking I would like to have it refinished so it is more of the Sig two tone look.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, I have carried this gun for about 5 days now and I have to tell you, I really like it. It carries easy and just disappears under am un-tucked T-shirt. I have shot it a good bit already before carrying it and it is accurate as all get out. It shoots straight to point of aim with very low recoil.

This is a great gun. I can't believe I was thinking of selling it to finance another purchase. Go figure.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Hard chrome

If you want to go from blue to a Sig two tone look, with a "stainless" looking slide on top of a dark frame, you might consider having the slide hard chromed, which will cost about $100. I have two guns with hard chrome slides, both Glocks, and the finish is virtually indestructible and scratch resistant.

If done properly, a hard chrome finish has a matte look, like bead blasted stainless steel, which I think is attractive. It does not have to be shiny like a car bumper at all. As for vendors, my two Glocks were done by Arotek in Washington state and Tripp in Texas. Here is my hard chromed G23 done by Arotek:

you want to look at the black-t finish from walter birdsong. i have seen several sigs and one glock that he has done and the work was the best. if i had a gun that need a refinish job he would be the one that i will send my gun to. look him up on the net to get his phone number. he still answer his phone when you call and he is a real nice guy. black-t penetrates the metal so it is more durable than a good bluing job and it needs nothing, no lubrication, and no special care. just wipe and go. even after "range day" the guys with it on their guns just wipe them down.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Lead Moderator
    Hard to beat a nice 2 tone. Glad ya like yer Sig, my buddy seems to really like his 229.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    If you want to go from blue to a Sig two tone look, with a "stainless" looking slide on top of a dark frame, you might consider having the slide hard chromed, which will cost about $100. I have two guns with hard chrome slides, both Glocks, and the finish is virtually indestructible and scratch resistant.

If done properly, a hard chrome finish has a matte look, like bead blasted stainless steel, which I think is attractive. It does not have to be shiny like a car bumper at all. As for vendors, my two Glocks were done by Arotek in Washington state and Tripp in Texas. Here is my hard chromed G23 done by Arotek:

Thanks for the info Pogo. I am looking at Aero-tek but it looks like they only do Glocks. I emailed them and I hope they get back to me soon.

I will check out Tripp tomorrow.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    Doesn't a 229 have the stainless steel slide? You could probably get just the look you want by having it sand or bead blasted. that should take the 'black' off and leave the matte stainless.

I surely like the job Tripp did on my XD slide. Less than 2 weeks door to door by USPS.

Now that I own a SS slide weapon I really am starting to like the look. I dont know if ill refinish my XD or not but I have seen some pretty nice XD's with parts of the slide refinished. Have you considerd that? Just making "accent" revisions to the black? Might give it a unique look.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

I had not thought of that Gel but now that you mention it, I did look at a Sig Equinox today and its slide is done in a blue / stainless accent finish and it look pretty darn nice.

I'll tell you, since my wife took over the XD and gave me the Sig, I am kind of getting Sig fever. I am really happy with the P239 and today looked at the Equinox and a really nice P229 that was on consignment sale at my local gun shop. It came with 4 magazines and the gun for $680. Not too bad a price I think considering the gun didn't look like it had over 500 rounds through it. It looked almost brand new. Fit my hand like a glove too. I may just be becoming a bit of a Sig-a-holic. I hope there is no cure.

I surely like the job Tripp did on my XD slide. Less than 2 weeks door to door by USPS.
    Itc-USA....do you have Tripps website address or any other contact info for them?

Thanks again for all the info guys.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Tripp Research link

Here is a link to the Tripp Research website:

Tripp Research

Tripp is located in Alpine, Texas.

I can 2nd Virgil Tripp and also recommend Ford's Guns in Florida. These companies both do great work. Regards, Richard

My M457 done by the Accurizer Gun Shop and hard chrome by Ford's Guns:

VIP Member
    Mike, on the Sig-a-holic. I know what you mean. I have the 2 P239s and I know where a Two-tone P239 in .357SIG is. I'm just waiting on the guy to change his price to something realistic. What can I do with 3 P239s and two of them in .357SIG? Easy buy a .40 S&W barrel for one of the .357s. Then I will have a complete set.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Heck yes George! Believe me, I have thought about that. The only drawback to my P239 is that it is a 9mm. I wish it was a .40 so I could have get a .357sig barrel. But, that will be the next one.

Actually the next Sig I get will be a P229 in .40 cal and then I will get a .357Sig barrel so I can have both!

I tell you, this is dangerous. In just a week or so Sigs are all I am thinking about now. I have shot them before, including this one as it was my wife's carry gun for a long time before we swapped carry guns but, now that it is mine, I am just obsessed with Sigs.

I want more. More, more, more! Maybe someday I'll be lucky enough to have a safe FULL of Sigs!

Maybe I'm going a little overboard too......
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Links