Just got a new firearm for athletic shorts/gym carry

This is a discussion on Just got a new firearm for athletic shorts/gym carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've seen a few threads in the past about gym carry or athletic shorts carry but never found a way to carry in those types ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Just got a new firearm for athletic shorts/gym carry

I've seen a few threads in the past about gym carry or athletic shorts carry but never found a way to carry in those types of clothes until now. Just picked up a Keltec PF9 a week ago or so. Got it used, came with an extended mag and clip for clip carry. Got it mainly because my buddy that is a former LEO recommended it for a "Gym carry" firearm using the clip carry. Since I am always in athletic clothes (go to the gym 5 days a week) unless I'm going to dinner or such, I needed a solution and I think I finally found one. Also works for quick walks in lounging clothes from your house to the mailbox, car, neighbors place, etc. Definitely recommend this solution for anyone looking for a lounging clothes carry.
    5lima30ret likes this.

2. Remove Ads

A clip for clip carry?

BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Maryland Shall Issue

Sponsor
    It sounds rather uncomfortable to have the gun pressing directly against your body without a holster or other barrier between you and the gun while working out. Have you found that to be the case?

Honestly I don't carry when I workout but carrying it otherwise is actually really comfortable. I find myself carrying it a lot for grab and quick things without having to have a belt and all that. Works well with athletic shorts as long as it has an elastic draw string.

VIP Member
    Hmmm... Working out with a firearm that has no external safeties, "clipped" to you with nothing protecting the trigger?

'Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Hmmm... Working out with a firearm that has no external safeties, "clipped" to you with nothing protecting the trigger? 'Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ + 1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    RemMod597 and StormRhydr like this.
    EDC - Ruger P90, SCCY CPX2, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Perfect, if you don't mind risking a kidney. And, admittedly, the long, deliberate trigger-pull of that pistol DOES reduce the risk. Me? I'm a big fan of holsters that cover the trigger. I am violently allergic to...lead.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

As stated before I don't carry while at the gym. I carry that way only in gym clothes or lounging clothes. For instance on my way home from the gym if I need to go somewhere, Walmart, grab dinner, etc. what would you all do, not carry?? Or go home and change clothes, get some jeans, belt, holster... I'd rather just clip this on, comfortable for me and easy, stays in place, doesn't require a belt. For me I'm trying for 100% of the time carry. Need a different gun, holster, carry system for different clothing. Haven't found a better easier grab and go carry method yet. If you guys have any better ideas share them.

Edit: BTW the first trigger pull is a hard trigger pull, not average trigger pull. I suppose that's the safety on that firearm.
    Bigsteve113 likes this.

If I would carry without a dedicated gun belt, the handgun WILL BE in a pocket holster. IMHO, clip carry is simply Mexican carry ...without the ethnic slur. No thanks.
    BenGoodLuck and spclopr8tr like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    If I would carry without a dedicated gun belt, the handgun WILL BE in a pocket holster. IMHO, clip carry is simply Mexican carry ...without the ethnic slur. No thanks.
    Haha. Here's a similar clip and review.

http://www.majorpandemic.com/2012/09....html.html?m=1

This says it all from that link:

He raved about how much he liked Clipdraw on his “everyday” carry gun. I remember thinking, “wait a minute, a special operations guy is using a Clipdraw?” His point was that he is usually wearing shorts or jean, sometimes without a belt, just running to the store, in between base, picking up the kids, or grabbing a bite to eat and in general usually does not have the time to slip on his Supertuck Deluxe Crossbread Holster. He also noted that in the course of the day, it was just far easier to just tuck the Clipdraw in this shorts running out the door than worrying about situating or belting on a holster. If he was going to be out for the day, his Crossbread was more comfortable and because of the tuck feature, more concealable, however for any other carry situation of daily life, the Clipdraw equipped G29 was his prefered go to carry gun.

...my point.

Distinguished Member
    I would most definitely prefer to have the trigger covered, especially if I am going to be physically active.

Take a look at Remora, Sticky or Pistol Wear holsters. I use a Pistol Wear holster for walking, running or biking and I often use a Remora around the house if I happen to be wearing drawstring shorts or sweatpants.

I'd probably opt for something like a remora or sticky holster before a clip. My guess is they are more comfortable as well as covering the trigger.
    Shooter1973 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Meltz View Post
    As stated before I don't carry while at the gym. I carry that way only in gym clothes or lounging clothes. For instance on my way home from the gym if I need to go somewhere, Walmart, grab dinner, etc. what would you all do, not carry?? Or go home and change clothes, get some jeans, belt, holster... I'd rather just clip this on, comfortable for me and easy, stays in place, doesn't require a belt. For me I'm trying for 100% of the time carry. Need a different gun, holster, carry system for different clothing. Haven't found a better easier grab and go carry method yet. If you guys have any better ideas share them.

Edit: BTW the first trigger pull is a hard trigger pull, not average trigger pull. I suppose that's the safety on that firearm.
    That is not a safety... a safety will prevent trigger pull, not just make it tough. If your weapon has no safety you should NEVER carry it without something that secures the trigger, like a holster that covers it completely. People who pocket carry with no trigger protection and other such things do have negligent discharges (accidental they call them, but carrying like this is pure negligence). At least get a trigger stay you can pop out with a finger like a safety super quick... Quick Release Trigger Stays - Garrison Grip
    BenGoodLuck and StormRhydr like this.

Got it. Not a chance I'd use something like this any time, any where. But best of luck to the OP on this mode of carry. Everyone has to choose what works best for them.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Maryland Shall Issue

I do have both remora and sticky. I might have to try pistol wear. I've seen them but never cared for them much. Thanks for the opinions on my "irresponsible" carry. I must agree though it isn't 100% safe. I might carry in a sticky with this firearm instead as it's really light might feel different then my xds in a sticky holster as that was a fit heavy for gym shorts carrying and moved around a lot and sometimes started to pull my pants down slightly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links