Women and OWB Carry

This is a discussion on Women and OWB Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a search on OWB, women, hips, and didn't get any hits (small wonder), so I thought I'd put this out to the other ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Women and OWB Carry

Women and OWB Carry

I did a search on OWB, women, hips, and didn't get any hits (small wonder), so I thought I'd put this out to the other women on here.

Do you carry OWB? Do you find it difficult to conceal, because the belt, holster and gun rest over the hip? I'm considering the various ways I'd like to carry, and at first was just favoring shoulder, till I read the cons about that (mainly having one's strong arm crossed over chest, exposing it to attack). Then I read about pocket carry, and figured that'd be a good way to go, esp. since we fortunately have very casual attire at work and jeans are just fine.

After reading all the stuff from our gentlemen here on the board, I've been thinking of OWB, at about 4 o'clock, then realized with my build and hips, that might not be feasible.

I know ultimately it'll be "try it and see," but I don't want to waste dollars on getting a decent rig, only to find out it's just not working out for a speedy draw when BG is almost on me.
    seattlekos
    "Live free or die." -- NH State Motto

2. Remove Ads

I think if you can find the right pair of jeans then OWB should not be a problem. Most women that I know that carry all do it in a purse or fanny pack. You don't want to hang a pistol off your hip while wearing those real low cut jeans that seem so popular nowadays, but maybe a pair of Levis would put the belt line in the right place. I assume this will also vary from one person to the other so you are right the try it and see might be the best approach. Most gun shops will let you try any holster in store, so you aren't buying blind!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Holsters designed for women

Some of the better holster makers have products in their line designed specifically for women, who clearly have waists and hips of different shape than men. One that I recall is the Mitch Rosen company, a maker of very high quality (expensive) holsters. The link below shows their OWB product line:

Mitch Rosen OWB holsters

If you go to this page and scroll down you will see the "Nancy Special" holster, as described below:

Many women have different needs when it comes to concealment holsters. More often than not, a woman's hips will push the muzzle away from the body, thereby causing the butt to dig into the rib cage. I have seen some manufacturers produce essentially a duty rig with welt extensions to keep the weapon's butt away from the rib cage and then call it a woman's holster. While this is, of course, more comfortable, you must wear a down coat three sizes too large to conceal it! The Nancy Special™ is a strong side holster designed to ride slightly higher with a bit of muzzle forward rake. This prevents the muzzle from being pushed out and keeps the butt from digging into the rib cage. For best function, we do recommend S&W J- and K-frame revolvers with short barrels and the shorter autos.

AVAILABLE: S&W J- and K-frame short barrel, most autos with 4 1/4" or less barrel (i.e., Colt Commander or shorter)

COLORS: Black, dark brown, mahogany, light brown and tan

ORDER: NSP™

PRICE: $140.00 in best quality cowhide. (The Nancy Special shown here is constructed of genuine shell cordovan)

Fortunately, Levi's (natural, at-the-waist, not hung low) are my brand of choice. I saw a post about a belt bag that has an inner holster, and I can't for the life of me find it again. To all appearances, it looks like a standard, run-of-the-mill utility bag, that anyone can wear anywhere. That's what I'd like, actually... no gun purse for me. After I was mugged for my purse, I sure don't want it to happen again and bye-bye purse AND gun to the BG.

A friend of my sister's wears her little .38 revolver in a pink belly bag, looks utterly innocent... I didn't even know till she and I left her friend's place, and sis said, Could you tell she was packing in that bag? I was aghast. I didn't even know they made holsters like that. I could easily walk around Seattle wearing one, what with just about everyone here carrying a backpack, belly bag or fanny pack.

If someone knows of this belt bag, please tell me... unfortunately I cleared the history of my Google search bar, and I can't remember the name of it. It was black and nylon, had the main central compartment as the holster, but also had side pockets for other important stuff to carry.

(Adding to this... apparently a database error kept it from posting, and then I saw pogo2's post)

Thanks, pogo2, about Mitch Rosen's site. I've been meaning to scope that out too, after reading about pocket holsters in "Handguns" this month (they've got a good article on pocket carry, including citing the benefits of the SP101 I want to get). I could deal with an expensive holster, as long as it's top quality, which it sounds like Mitch Rosen is.
    seattlekos

kos, you can check in at www.warriortalk.com and www.totalprotectioninteractive.com for info on appendix carry. It may or may not be more suited to your build & dress, but with little doubt, it will offer easier access & speed.

VIP Member
    I very rarely carry OWB, and when I do, it's usually at the range or out in the woods. I carry in the 4-5 o'clock position and I don't use a special women's holster. The butt of the gun fits nicely in the niche between waist and buttocks.

When I CC, I use an Ace Case bellyband. I wear it low around the hips so the gun is situated around the same place as a normal IWB holster would be.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Additional thoughts on belt carry for a woman

Seattlekos, in your posting you didn't mention what type or model of gun you are using for concealed carry. This could have a major effect on your method of carry.

I believe that a longer gun will pose greater problems for a woman in belt carry, in that the muzzle of the gun (if it extends very far below the belt) will tend to jam into the woman's hip because her hip flares outward more than a man's hip. The obvious solution would be for the woman to use a shorter barrel gun, such as a snubby revolver or short barrel semiauto, that when holstered did not extend very far below the beltline.

I have used a variety of guns and holsters, and have found that the combination with the least barrel extension below the belt is a snubby revolver (2.0 or 2.5 inch barrel) in a high riding "clamshell" type of holster.

For example, here is a photo from the Kramer website of the Kramer belt scabbard holster with a snubby revolver. Notice how high the gun sits relative to the belt slots - hardly any of the holster and gun are below the belt line. I think this would work quite well with the typical woman's build.

Here is a link to the Kramer website - the company is located in Washington state:

Kramer belt scabbard holster

Additionally, here is what the Galco Holster Company in Arizona says about women's holsters:

Galco webpage on women's holsters

Check out the cornered cat at:

http://www.corneredcat.com/TOC/TOC.htm

Lots of good womens guns topics
    -Biker

VIP Member
    Check here on the Desantis website for some belt bag options.

You might also check these:

Women's Holsters

Fal Gal's
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

The ONLY method of on-body carry that my wife uses is a Fobus paddle holster (not the "roto" kind) for her Glock 36. Even in summer it works for her. The gun disappears with even a thin shirt left open.

We have been looking for another holster for her (only because retention failed for her one time) but cannot find another OWB holster that works. (She has tried several.)

She has tried other methods of carry (belly bands, shoulder rigs, etc) but she prefers OWB. If she can't wear OWB then she switches to purse carry using a Galco purse.

Women seem to vary in the type of waist they have so it's tough to know what works until you try it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Wesley View Post
    The ONLY method of on-body carry that my wife uses is a Fobus paddle holster (not the "roto" kind) for her Glock 36. Even in summer it works for her. The gun disappears with even a thin shirt left open.

We have been looking for another holster for her (only because retention failed for her one time) but cannot find another OWB holster that works. (She has tried several.)

She has tried other methods of carry (belly bands, shoulder rigs, etc) but she prefers OWB. If she can't wear OWB then she switches to purse carry using a Galco purse.

Women seem to vary in the type of waist they have so it's tough to know what works until you try it.
    If you'd consider another paddle, I recomend the Kramer MSP paddle. They are pricey, but they are far better than the Fobus, even considered by many to be the best paddle on the market.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

How about a "Smartcarry?" It rests in front inside your jeans, skirt,etc. They work really well. It's possible to carry a full size 1911 in comfort.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    My wife wears either an Alessi CQC/S or Del Fatti SLP. The Del Fatti is designed for women but she just loves the CQC/S

Thanks for all the input and links, and um... what's a "paddle"? I've seen it on various sites, but they go in assuming you know what it means. Is it something that you don't need a belt for?
    seattlekos

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Most of the female agents I work with typically use one of three rigs. A shoulder holster, an ITP or bellyband with gun at 2 O'clock position or a t-shirt holster. This isnt a sexist statement but most men do not find a woman reaching her hand into their shirt in the direction of their breast to be an offensive move. That is the reason for the popularity of the t-shirts and shoulder rigs.

Back to muh cage,
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links