From sub compact to full size... Help!

This is a discussion on From sub compact to full size... Help! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have the bug... I have purchased two guns in less than 6 months. The first being a Nano and the second being CW380. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: From sub compact to full size... Help!

So I have the bug... I have purchased two guns in less than 6 months. The first being a Nano and the second being CW380. I fear I've become so used to only having two fingers on the grip, and a narrow gun, that a double stack full sized gun seems like a monster in my hand, and I'm at a loss on what to buy. I would like to start saving up for a full sized gun, but not sure what to start saving for.

Help me decide what I should get. It will not be a carry gun, I've got that covered. What I'm looking for is a home defense, fun to shoot, a lot, gun. Not privy to any style, as I did hold a sweet Sig 1911 last week, but so much money.

Glock 19, Beretta Storm, 1911, sig sp2022, others... Help give me some direction, thanks!

A hobby turned passion

Rent or borrow as many different guns as you can. Shoot them. You'll figure out which ones are possibilities and which aren't. Once you've narrowed your choices down a bit. Come back and get our individual opinions. I can't really say what gun you should get any more than I could tell you which person to date or to marry.
    WrongRecroom and StormRhydr like this.

You have the double problem of both your current guns are not of the same style or maker ....

Really try a lot and see what you like ... I have the same issue I go from brand to brand I am not lolye to one brand just have more of one then a other .....I have 1911a1s from 1942 to glock 40cal .. Each to me serves a role or purpose

Look up the gun and fire them see what systme of controls your like or dont ... If you can take the guns down and see what you like more or less ... For me Sigs and Glocks and most Bretta are the most enjoable guns to take down to clean .. 1911 and stuff like that need a bit more paitence

Also look at guns where you can buy variouse sizes and all use the same mags to make it easier on you for buying mags etc .. Ie the M&P full and compact both take the same mags .. The 226/229/228/224 all take the same mags the 17/19/26 glock all take the same and so on... What I have done for most of my guns to make it easier on me for mags etc
    StormRhydr likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Me personal for 1911 I would look at older Colts ( series 70s and early are great but pricy ) or RIA for a good started gun but in some case they are tinker guns

If you want good cheep guns look at the glock 22 or sig 226 or 229 in 40cal ... Both some of my fav guns and can be found at or under 500 bucks for LEO models if you look...Heck I just saw some LEO 22 glocks for 350 or so shipped with 3 mags and nights sigts ...

Sigs and glocks are some of my fav with 1911 and other after that

But ruger and Bretta make great stuff too

Really right now your choice for a full-med handgun are massive since you are in a free state ... Handle and fire see what system of controls you like

And also look at how much mags and holsters are .. For me getting brand new or lig used glock or 40 cal sig mags for 20 bucks all day long is kind of nice
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

After a while you will start to see what you like and dont like in guns and that helps ... For me I wont buy a gun with a internal lock or rarly buy one that it not easy to take down or needs tools to take down... I normal try to watch vids on how to take them apart to clean first and also google how much mags/holters etc are from them

Also good to know is for some guns esp Sig they make a lot of version some more pricy/more rare then others ... So know what may be the bargin bin model or not ...

Call me old school, but if I could get one message across to new shooters and defensive carriers, it would be "don't get a subcompact for your first gun." The small guns are just that much harder to shoot well, and your comment about two fingers on the grip highlights my exact concern. I'm happy to hear you're looking for a full-size gun now. (And once you decide on what you're getting, make sure you get a concealment holster for it as well. Once you've gotten used to concealing full-size 1911s, Glocks and Sigs, anything smaller will be a piece of cake.)

There's good advice above in the direction to shoot as many guns as you can before you plunk down your cash. One gun may feel great in your hand, but you may find out you have to change your grip so much to reach the mag release that you fumble regaining a shooting grip. Or, for example, the Glock grip angle just isn't my cup of tea (although I shoot my G23 pretty well).

For a HD gun, I would probably favor high capacity which means a double-stack mag. Among those, I like the CZ-75 and the Browning Hi-Power the best, with full-size Sigs in runner-up position. FWIW, my nightstand gun is a Kimber clone of a 1911 Lightweight Commander, with night sights and 8+1 of .45 ACP... simply because I have so much "cockpit time" with the 1911 I can run the gun in my sleep.
    Mike1956, Phaedrus and StormRhydr like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

If you like the SIG 1911, I would say go for any of the numerous decent 1911 single stack models on the market. A P220 perhaps. But I have found that transitioning from double stack compacts or even full size pistols to the single stack larger 45 autos is easy for me. Expensive? I figure you'd be more than happy in the $800 range. So whatever feels good and you can become adept with handling. I used to do full size for HD and carry a compact. Now I just use my carry for HD as well. Full size for HD does have advantages IMO, especially for attaching a light or light/laser combo. Best of luck finding your next new pistol.
    So you want a holy war? How many holes would you like?

You mention that you're thinking of stepping up to a full sized gun, but then you listed the G19 as an example. The G19 is actually more of a mid sized gun, which is what I'd suggest you get after having a subcompact. It's a good all round gun that's not too big, not too small for range shooting, home defense, etc. The 9mm round is also a joy to shoot. Not much recoil
    Spudboy66 and StormRhydr like this.

Of those choices I would go with the 19.
    Spudboy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dash13a View Post
    So I have the bug... I have purchased two guns in less than 6 months. The first being a Nano and the second being CW380. I fear I've become so used to only having two fingers on the grip, and a narrow gun, that a double stack full sized gun seems like a monster in my hand, and I'm at a loss on what to buy. I would like to start saving up for a full sized gun, but not sure what to start saving for.
    Dash, are you just running your Nano with the six round mag? If so you really need to pick up some of the extended eight rounders for it. They run 100% and let you get a good firing grip with all four fingers on the grip unless you're Andre the Giant. It really makes a big difference, needless to say nine in the gun is better than seven.

As for the other part of your question, that's a doozy! There are hundreds of makes and thousands of models out there. All we can do is tell you what we each prefer. You need to rent or borrow some to see what you like. Or at least at minimum handle them in the store.

But...since you asked! Consider an HK USP. It's a full sized gun but I do sometimes CCW one. It has a recoil reduction system that really tames the recoil; it's available in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP, and the latter two rounds are about as mild to shoot as you can find with the USP. It's also one of the most durable and reliable handguns in existence. They're not cheap but if you shop around you can get a decent deal, and sometimes you can get a used police turn in for a little over $400. Expect to pay around $700 new.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Stop by your LGS and get a feel for different pistols.
    Decide what you can live with and afford.
    Surprisingly, my SR9C has a sweeter trigger than my Glock.
    But the LCI, mag disconnect, and external safety don't bother me. I prefer a safety on my carry.
    17 rd an 10 rd mags give me HD and CC ability.
    Many fine 1911s that won't break the bank too.
    A CZ 75B is on my list.
    Good luck finding what fits!

M&P 45 Full Size. Get the Apex trigger kit and it is about as good as it gets. A glock 21 is good too. I like 45's if I am going with a big gun.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

My favorite full-size gun is the Desert Eagle 50 AE.

Chuck808 likes this.

I shot my new to me S&W M&P9 FS this past weekend and I absolutely love it. I had a Gen 4 G19 but I like the ergos of the M&P so much more. So I sold it to fund an AR15. I am way more accurate with the M&P too. Definitely get your hands on as many different pistols as you can and try to shoot as many as possible too.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

I cant use the micro/subcompact/mouse gun size. I just cant own a pistol that I cant get a full grip on. I've stuck with the 1911's in full or commander size for over 40 years and they just work for me. BUT, remember that the 1911 can require a learning curve that the plasictastic ones don't. All steel pistols are usually heavier and require a dedicated holster and belt and at first it may feel like you're carrying a heavy load around. The 1911 grip is easier to conceal than the double stack one. Try as many models as you can and find what you like. Then put in the time and effort needed to adjust to it. The end result is that full size pistols are easier to use for most of us. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links