Glock 26 vs. Glock 27 (Help)

This is a discussion on Glock 26 vs. Glock 27 (Help) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to buy a Glock compact and have looked at 26 and 27. I just don't know the diffrence. I went to my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 26 vs. Glock 27 (Help)

I am looking to buy a Glock compact and have looked at 26 and 27. I just don't know the diffrence. I went to my local gun shop but they really didn't give me a solid answer. To tell you the truth for being gun people they are kind of snooby. The only person that is not is the owner. (That is a diffrent thread) I just want to know what are pros and cons and reviews on them. (People that own them or shot them.) Thank you
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

G26 vs G27

The only difference between the two is the caliber. A G26 is 9mm & G27 is 40 S&W. Both guns are the same size. They are actually considered "subcompact" Glocks.

http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

I currently own a G27. Personally I prefer the 40 S&W round over the 9mm, but find the G27 does have more recoil than the G26. By the way, I would go to another gun shop.
    Last edited by slimjim; January 9th, 2007 at 02:02 PM.

VIP Member
    You mean besides caliber? They are functionally identical pistols...same dimensions, same empty weight, same everything. The 26 has a standard 10 round mag, the 27 a 9 rounder, and of course 26 = 9mm and 27 = .40S&W...but other than that they are the same pistol.

Edit: SlimJim beat me to it... :)
    Last edited by OPFOR; January 9th, 2007 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Late to the party.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    +1 slimjim!

I also have a G27 and love it. I think it'd be best for you to at least shoot a 9mm -vs- .40 and if possible the G26 & G27 and then decide.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I own a Glock 27 with a 357 Sig barrel, this combo works flawlessly. I also have a 9mm Bar-Sto barrel and 9mm magazines and I shoot this caliber as well. I am more of a fan of the 9mm than a 40 S&W. I find 40s to have a snappy recoil. Lastly, good 9mm rounds will perform on a level with both the 40 and 45. Regards, Richard

There are actualy a couple of small technical differences inside. Extractor and a few other bits and bobs that are of little consequence except when your attempting to adapt one to another. Without getting into detail because its not my thing nor would I do a very good job of explaining those. This ends up meaning that you CAN adapt a G27 (.40 cal) to be a 9mm (or even a .357 for that matter) but you CANNOT adapt a G26 to any of those others. The frames and/or slides are slightly different and a few other things inside that can be changed but it's mainly the frame/slide that limits the G26 to that convertability. However, as is pointed out, that does not translate into anything different in the overall size of either of them externaly. So they are practicaly the same that way.

I know a lot of G26 owners that are stupid happy with their G26's and would never change. I also know the same about us G27 owners too. All and all, most people are very happy with either of them.

What suprised me about the G27 was the lack of recoil I experienced vs what I expected to experience. The thing just shoots nice and smooth. Any fears that the recoil will be troublesome, I believe, are overblown. They certainly were to me. I almost did not buy a G27 for that reason. And am now glad I took a chance as it turned out to be much ado about nothing. However I am certan I would have been equaly happy with a G26. But, in the end, I am better off with the G27 because I also own a G22 (full size frame .40 cal) and this makes my bullet selection simplier. I also recently bought a 9mm conversion barrel and a G26 Magazine for that G27 but have not played around with it yet so will not comment on that at this point. I intend that only for range practice.

You probably cannot go wrong with either of these guns if it fits your hand and your carry style. They both seem an excellent choice.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    As everyone has said before, exteriorwise, they're the same. The G-26 is just under 1 oz. lighter when loaded. The weight difference increases if you use +1 or +2 mag bottoms or higher-cap mags. That's not much, though.

You really should shoot the two of them. One of the posters stated he didn't really notice the extra recoil on the G-27. Personally, & I've tested different guns & calibers for my Dept., I noticed a difference. That's why I prefer 9mm's for subcompacts. Although, my G-36 is labeled by Glock as a subcompact, it's dimensionally similar to the compact G-19.

Good luck deciding!
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Senior Moderator
    I can't believe a gunshop wouldn't know the difference between a G-26 and G-27! Who is selling guns these days and how could they not know that?

Anyway, I changed your title from, Glock 27 vs Glock 27, to, Glock 26 vs Glock 27. No problem, I just noticed it.

Everyone has covered your question well I think elrey718. I would agree that you should try to shoot both if possible. I also feel that there is a difference in felt recoil between the two and you may get faster follow up shots with the G26. The G27 is pretty snappy to shoot. That said, I would not get rid of my G27 for anything. I love that gun!! As cphilip pointed out the G27 can be made to shoot the .357 Sig round pretty easy. I believe all that you need is the .357 Sig barrel and you are good to do. I am not even sure if you have to change the magazine although it is probably a good idea. The follower may be different.

Ron

A picture of my setup.
    Last edited by ront; January 9th, 2007 at 06:06 PM.
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

tangle it is not tht they didnt knw they are kinda of dont waist my time on simple questions. just the works not the owner. i really dont like going there but it is the closest gun range from my house.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

I realize they are closest gun range, but I personally would not waste my time or money on a shop that gave the impression that they did not care about me. They ought to be real great to deal with if you have a problem after the purchase.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

ront thanks for the pic. man i want one more and more

Ricardo

elrey718, I've owned both...the 27 first and switched over to the 26.

I found the recoil on the 27 to be excessive. Some don't, but I did, especially when shooting a practice session of 50-100 rounds.

As everyone says, it's "shot placement" that counts the most. With that in mind, I carry the pistol that conceals the best and I shoot best, the Glock 26.

For price, were I you I'd feel comfortable with a price in the $525 range before taxes. Going online, you could likely get it for $470, but you'd need to add on $20 shipping and about $25 or so for your FFL to receive it. If you want to learn the online source I quote, shoot me an e-mail.

Either the 26 or 27 would be a good choice for carry.

Good luck....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I first had a G21, then got a G27. I have not fired a G26, so I don't have a feel for G26 recoil versus G27 recoil. The G27 feels like it has more recoil than the G21, probably because the G27's smaller mass moves faster on recoil than the G21's larger mass does.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by elrey718 View Post
    tangle it is not tht they didnt knw they are kinda of dont waist my time on simple questions. just the works not the owner. i really dont like going there but it is the closest gun range from my house.
    Ahhh, I got ya. That's about as bad though. It supports my theory that some people are successful in business in spite of themselves.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links