Anyone CC a Sig 226?

This is a discussion on Anyone CC a Sig 226? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought a Sig P226 (.40) and have been reluctant to CC with it. Even with an FBI style holster I feel that the ...

Thread: Anyone CC a Sig 226?

Anyone CC a Sig 226?

I recently bought a Sig P226 (.40) and have been reluctant to CC with it. Even with an FBI style holster I feel that the handle is printing.

I suppose on a really cold day when I have to wear a heavy coat it would be OK, but there aren't too many days like that here in Tx.

Thoughts .. Suggestions??

2. Remove Ads

I sometimes carry my P226 IWB, with an untucked, button-down shirt or sweatshirt....then again, depending on the sweater or sweatshirt, carry OWB.

Assistant Administrator
    My EDC is 226 ST - in K&D OWB Eagle Defender.

I have enough cant in that (a critical aspect IMO) that grips will not print very easily at all.

Look at these pics - altho sorry to say I should have put on my new belt as this one is a bit ancient! However even with my new belt I do not have to cinch it up mega tight at all to still achieve this degree of ''close in'' hold. Also using 3.00 to 3.30 position it is rare the grips can print much and I bend knees anyways rather than bend over to pick stuff up in public.

Works for me

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

"Duty" size gun

I've had a Sig P226 for a number of years, and have used it mainly as a range gun. It is an excellent gun, reliable and accurate, but it is definitely a "duty" size gun with a sizeable grip area.

At one time I thought I would experiment with the gun in a concealed carry mode, and bought a Galco Combat Master holster to fit it, a pancake OWB holster. I quickly decided it was a little larger than I liked for concealment, and the grip area was tough to hide. So I gave up the idea and the Galco now sits in my big holster box. If I ever wanted to open carry it would be a good candidate, but at present I don't open carry.

I decided that my Glock 19, which carries the same number of 9mm rounds (15+1) was an easier way to go for 9mm CCW. The G19 is much, much smaller than the P226. Here is the P226 in the holster:

I carry my P226 .40 S&W OWB at about 0200-0230, used to carry around 0330-0400 but I prefer the appendix position for speed of presentation. I wear my normal clothes I wore before I carried.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    - Edmund Burke

Thanks guys! I'll experiment with changing positions 4.00 - 2.00 and see if that helps. To be honest, I hadn't considered IWB. I currently don't carry any of my weapons that way but I'll give it a try.

comptac c-tac IWB works like a charm for me and mine.

I think we'd be surprised at how little non-gun people notice any sort of "printing" of IWB holsters even when it's obvious to us.

Senior Moderator
    I don't right now, but I have many times and had no problems with it and I'll likely carry it again.

Administrator

See Holster As Per P95Carry

What holster are you trying to carry it with.
    A good concealment holster coupled with a gun belt that will pull it in close enough and you should have no problems concealing that 226.

Excellent Firearm By The Way.

Hey Chris...that gun belt in your picture looks ancient enough to be a dinosaur leash.

Assistant Administrator
    Hey Chris...that gun belt in your picture looks ancient enough to be a dinosaur leash.
    It WAS a dinosaur leash - cheapskate me !!!

I got Bonnie to snap those pics late one day and belt was slack one notch - plus it was even then overdue for retirement! I really ought to reshoot that series with my proper belt.

The one I have now is a good solid deal but even so, rarely cinched enough to prevent a small amount of apparent ''sag'' ------ but the bottom line is always whether the rig sits well, is stable, and I am comfortable. The gun holds in almost as tight that way as if I cinch one more hole, and then feel less comfortable.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    When I had my SIG P-226R I carried it in a Milt Sparks VersaMax-II during the warm weather months and I truly love that holster and it concealed very well but... I was really glad when things cooled down so I could OWB carry in a Galco Concealable!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I'm very interested in this thread as I plan on getting the Sig P226 BlackWater edition this year sometime. Comes with 5 magazines.

I like the ultra lightweight of the Blackwater Edition, aluminum frame really makes it user friendly. Also like the idea of a RED front Tritium night sight with green dots on the rear.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

The right holster can make all the difference. I'm still plotting my concealment options for when I get my CHL. On a whim, I bought a cheap ($12.99) Uncle Mike's IWB holster. I've got my full sized M&P (which is about the same size as the P226) resting it in right now, and it is not visible with a t-shirt for cover. Rather comfortably, I might add. I was surprised. I know many of our members conceal full sized guns (and of course, we've already heard from Chris, who carries a P226), and every thread I've found points to one thing: the right holster. My advice, is to pick up a cheap IWB holster, and see how you like it. Then go for the the good gun leather (or shop another style).

If IWB isn't an option (I.E. no cover garment), check out a belly band, or the UC Comfort Carry.

http://www.uccomfort.com/3XHHolster.html
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

I just changed over from a G19 to a Sig 226 in .40 S&W. in a ctac holster. I'm 5' 8" and about 165. I don't have a problem hiding it under a t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    What holster are you trying to carry it with.
    A good concealment holster coupled with a gun belt that will pull it in close enough and you should have no problems concealing that 226.

Excellent Firearm By The Way.

I use a comp-tac OWB Paddle.

Quote Originally Posted by wildhunter View Post
    comptac c-tac IWB works like a charm for me and mine.

I think we'd be surprised at how little non-gun people notice any sort of "printing" of IWB holsters even when it's obvious to us.
    I'll give that a try, thanks!

Links