Thunder 380/PPK size & style in 9mm?

This is a discussion on Thunder 380/PPK size & style in 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The title says it all. I love the size, weight, feel and look of my wife's Thunder 380. I've been looking for something similar in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Thunder 380/PPK size & style in 9mm?

The title says it all. I love the size, weight, feel and look of my wife's Thunder 380. I've been looking for something similar in 9mm for myself. I know there are plenty of single stack options out there, but I was hoping one of you out there could point me toward something similar to the Bersa/PPK.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. Remove Ads

By style you want the same trigger etc ?

The sig 938 is close in size and a good gun ...

i want a walther PPK size/style in 9mm, what are my options? - AR15.Com Archive

I think this sums it up for me

" he Walther PPK is a blowback and it is hard to make a blowback in 9x19 without gaining weight.

If you are wanting it to be the same size and be DA/SA while still being blowback I don't think you will find anything.

You can get small by going with Rohrbaugh but it is not DA/SA, it is DAO.

If I wanted something that size in 9x19 I would be looking for something lockbreeched and there are only a very few models to choose from in that size class locked breached and none that I know of that are DA/SA.

I think you will have to go with something very unlike that Walther PPK to get 9x19 in something coming close to that size.

JonSidneyB, Jun 14, 2011

Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared

The PM9 is low in size but is not Walther PPKish.

"

Is there a gun similar to a Walther PPK but in 9mm? | EDCForums

Now they did make a 9 mm super ppk

First marketed in 1972, this was an all-steel variant of the PP chambered for the 9x18mm Ultra cartridge. Designed as a police service pistol, it was a blowback operated, double-action pistol with an external slide-stop lever and a firing-pin safety. A manual decocker lever was on the left side of the slide; when pushed down, it locked the firing pin and released the hammer. When the 9mm Parabellum was chosen as the standard service round by most of the German police forces, the experimental 9mm Ultra round fell into disuse. Only about 2,000 PP Super pistols were sold to German police forces in the 1970s, and lack of sales caused Walther to withdraw the PP Super from their catalogue in 1979.[11]

But they are rare as is the ammo ... From what I remember it was the larget round they could ever make the ppk fite

The pps is similare in size to me as are the khar but not in function
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Kahr K9. I have two with night sights. My K9's are about the size of a Sig P230, but shoot a better caliber. The MK9 is even smaller, but more susceptible to lump writing and ammo sensitivity issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankinCA View Post
    Kahr K9. I have two with night sights. My K9's are about the size of a Sig P230, but shoot a better caliber. The MK9 is even smaller, but more susceptible to lump writing and ammo sensitivity issues.

I have a K9 and a PPK ... There are nothing alike exp in size .... But the K9 is a good gun .. Just hope you get lucky and they work .. Mine at least did

Right now I am thinking of selling the k9 just too big as I dont IWB much .. Thinking them mk9 eliet and pocket carry
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I would say buy a Makorv as it is the same as the ppk in term of take down etc etc ... But 9x18 is basicly 380 though

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    I have been saving up to replace my Bersa Thunder 380CC with a slightly larger S&W M&P Shield 9mm.
    ShieldBersa1.jpg

It is about the same size as the regular Bersa Thunder 380
    2i296ac.jpg

9uc
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post

The title says it all. I love the size, weight, feel and look of my wife's Thunder 380. I've been looking for something similar in 9mm for myself. I know there are plenty of single stack options out there, but I was hoping one of you out there could point me toward something similar to the Bersa/PPK.

Any ideas?
    I wish! Especially one that is as affordable as the range of Bersa 9s and all metal construction. I've spent some time over the past 6 months doing some looking and the Sig 238 looks like it might come close, but I'm afraid that without an extended mag, I'd have the same problem I do with my 9UC. I've got two of the Bersa Thunder 380s, one I bought new and one I bought new, as well as a 9UC. The grip on the 9UC is a little too thick and short for my broad and thick hands. I like the all metal construction of both and especially the hand fit of the 380's. As mentioned, I have a broad hand, and with the extended 9 rd DLX magazine, it makes for a better fit than my 9UC. Thought I was going to get a break as Bersa is in the process of releasing a new single stack 9mm. Unfortunately, It's going to be in the style of the BP9CC models. Steel slide over plastic frame. Bersa's BP 9 CC: a Polymer-Framed, Single-Stack Not-Sub-Compact Pistol (VIDEO) - Guns.com

If Bersa made a quarter to half inch longer butt plate for the mags, I wouldn't be looking. I won't rule out the new one until I can handle one and the Sig is out of my price range for the immediate future.
    USAF, Retired
    Then said He unto them, ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36

Life Member: NRA, DVA, VVA, VFW, TSNA, Vietnam Security Police Assn.

VIP Member
    I'm not aware of anyone who makes or has made a PPK style 9 mm. My understanding is the fixed barrel/blow back action is not conducive to the 9 mm cartridge. Closest I'm aware of, in what you looking for would be the CZ82 chambered in 9 Makarov.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

9uc
    Agreed, for me it's more about the being close in size and weight.
    USAF, Retired
    Then said He unto them, ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36

Life Member: NRA, DVA, VVA, VFW, TSNA, Vietnam Security Police Assn.

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    Hi-Point C9 is a fixed barrel/blowback, but much chunkier than the PPK and ewe Hi-Point.

If you can find one, the P5 is the smoothest cycling 9mm I have ever seen.
    Ianthin likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankinCA View Post
    I consider myself somewhat versed in the firearms lexicon, but I am stumped on what "lump writing" is. Is that a typo and you meant limp wristing?
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Maryland Shall Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    The title says it all. I love the size, weight, feel and look of my wife's Thunder 380. I've been looking for something similar in 9mm for myself.

Bersa Thunder 9 ULTRA COMPACT PRO, DuoTone Finish, 13 Rd Mag - Impact Guns
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Find an old S&W Chiefs Special 9mm. I really wish they still made them. I mean why does every company have to make glock/keltec copies?

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    If you can find one, the P5 is the smoothest cycling 9mm I have ever seen.
    A quick search on Gun Broker turned up several. Cheapest that had been bid on was at about $1300. For that money I'll buy a sweet 1911. But it is the closest example of what I'm looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links