Ruger Alaskan Super Redhawk .44 Magnum

This is a discussion on Ruger Alaskan Super Redhawk .44 Magnum within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been eyeing this handgun for the last while. I do think that it will be my next pistol purchase. I would like to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Ruger Alaskan Super Redhawk .44 Magnum

Ruger Alaskan Super Redhawk .44 Magnum

I have been eyeing this handgun for the last while. I do think that it will be my next pistol purchase.

I would like to know what everyone thinks about this model. I already have a Colt Anaconda realtree edition from 1996, however it has an 8" barrel and I'm looking for something to carry whole backpacking in grizzly country. I realize that with .44 mag I am taking my chances with grizzlys, however I don't want something bigger (454 cat.).

What was the difference between the Redhawk and the super Redhawk?

Thanks for your input.

2. Remove Ads

Actually not much is different besides the obvious. I had a Super RH .44 mag and while it was a good, solid gun I want more power if I'm going to lug around such a large heavy handgun. I'm moving up to the 454 SRH. I also have a Rossi 454 carbine.
    QKShooter likes this.

For one thing, the Redhawk is currently out of production and it's a coin toss as to whether Ruger will resume that line. I believe its frame and internals are unique among the Ruger revolver lines and share little if anything with the GP100 or Super Redhawk. So if you want a Redhawk, start looking now and you might be able to find some still on a dealer's shelf. More than likely, you'll be shopping for a used one.

The fundamental difference between the two is that the Super RH is bigger and stronger, and the barrel actually starts in the frame stub extension. The Redhawk is more conventional and the barrel threads into the frame just forward of the cylinder "window." The barrel-frame interface is weakest at where it meets the frame, and the addition of the integral barrel stub extending from the main frame strengthens that interface considerably. Of course this adds weight, but in a big-bore magnum caliber that's not automatically a bad thing.

I've handled both but not shot either. For strolling through grizzly country I think the experienced folks will vote for the Super Redhawk in .454, but if you're fixed on the .44 magnum then you'll at least have the assurance that the SRH will handle the heaviest, hoariest factory .44 mag loads available, not to mention some heavy (300 gr range) handloads.
    MrBuckwheat and QKShooter like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Have had one, for a time. IMO, for full-house .44mag loads it's a bit brutal to shoot. While not exactly light, it's a lightweight .44mag that is pretty small so far as "big iron" goes. Nice and handy, though. In the .454 it's a true handful, or so I've heard.

It's a very stoutly-built unit. Ought to last you 100yrs or more, if you take care of it. Definitely a keeper, if the size works for you.

My preference, in Ruger .44mag: KRH-444 Redhawk, in 4" or 5" bbl.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sponsor
    Still own the Alaskan in 44mag. It's the trail gun up in the Superstitions from time to time. It's accurate in my hands to 100 yrds [ can hold on a milk jug at that distance all day long ]. It's one I'll likely never sell, and now that I hear they may be discontinued, I'll not entertain letting it go. Easily portable all day in the correct strong side owb.
    QKShooter and GhostMaker like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I love my Alaskan .44! But we only have Blacks in New Mexico.
    QKShooter likes this.

Sponsor
    Same here, blacks in Az
    QKShooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Still own the Alaskan in 44mag. It's the trail gun up in the Superstitions from time to time. It's accurate in my hands to 100 yrds [ can hold on a milk jug at that distance all day long ]. It's one I'll likely never sell, and now that I hear they may be discontinued, I'll not entertain letting it go. Easily portable all day in the correct strong side owb.
    My LGS has one in stock but its at a price that's a bit higher than what I want to pay for it. I just love the feel of it in my hand. Where did you hear anything about it being discontinued? If that is true, I will buck up and buy the one in my LGS.

Sponsor
    Another member reported they super redhawk was no longer being made, I was responding to that.

The redhawks and supers and very well built. You will see with some of the more powerful ammo out there that you can only shoot it in the rugers. Take a look ay buffalo bore and underwood they have some very powerful loads for .44 mag....

P.S. I love my redhawk, its one heck of a shooter....
    GhostMaker and 40Bob like this.

I think the the original Redhawk is no longer made, however the Super Redhawk is still being made. Including the Alaskan Super Redhawk. Can anyone confirm this?

Quote Originally Posted by JeepCreeper View Post
    I think the the original Redhawk is no longer made, however the Super Redhawk is still being made. Including the Alaskan Super Redhawk. Can anyone confirm this?
    The Redhawk is no longer on their website right now... Only the Super Redhawk.
    For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf,
    and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Ruger has discontinued the Redhawk, however the Super Redhawk continues, including the Alaskan.
    AzQkr likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator
    I used to see Redhawks "used" but, in "like new" condition because some folks that just had to have a .44 MAG would buy one and almost instantly discover that they were a bit more recoil sensitive than they thought they were...and would hurry back to the gun shop & trade them right back in for something less potent.

I am not sure if that is still the case since revolvers are not on my shopping list these days.

I would shop around locally and see if you can locate one used but, in really good condition since they are decently indestructible and overbuilt for factory ammunition.

Some of the used ones have only seen one or two cylinders full of stiff .44 MAG and have then only been used for .44 Special which is "nothing" for the Redhawk.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Always wanted a 44mag 5.5" Redhawk for a woodland hunting-bug, but all I ever saw was the 4". Sorry now that I didn't just get the 4"'er. They are one of the few firearms that you can shoot the Garrett +P Hammerheads with. They do not recommend anything under a 4" barrel as well. I hope Ruger makes them again someday.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links