G23 Stovepipe.

This is a discussion on G23 Stovepipe. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've run a few hundred rounds through my new G23 (about 50 rounds a week). Today I was running a box of Blazer Brass 165 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G23 Stovepipe.

G23 Stovepipe.

I've run a few hundred rounds through my new G23 (about 50 rounds a week). Today I was running a box of Blazer Brass 165 gr. FMJ through it and I had a randomn stovepipe.

I've heard many Glockers talk about thousands of rounds without incident. Did I just get my once in a lifetime incident out of the way early? What do you think?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Any gun can stove pipe. Learning what feeds best for carry is the trick. On the plus side, I have never had any brand of carry ammo FTF in any carry gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Glocks are mechanical, and anything mechanical will fail at some point.

I am sure your issue has to due with the soft alum. cases of the Blazer ammo. Glock (or most guns for that matter) extracters dont really like softer metals than brass.
    I really like using the blazer for training; most of the time it works fine, and when it doesnt it forces you to do a malfunction drill.

More info

Was it clean and lubed or dirty and funky? Doing anything different like shooting from a barricade or shooting with a light mounted for example? Different grip or one handed shooting? In short, it could be any number of causes, mostly non-serious. You could have done something as simple as bumped the slide with your finger while it was cycling, or let it get too dirty at the end of a shooting session. If it repeats in a pattern, like after a few hundred rouds or when you shoot one/weak handed it should be easy to diagnose. If it happens at random times, you might want to call the armorer. Was the problem ammo Blazer with cheap, ungodly evil Aluminum cases or the Blazer brass with the decent cases? If you use cheap bargain ammo, please expect cheap bargain performance and don't worry. I care for some high-mileage rental guns, and everything eventually jams. Sig, Glock, Revolver, or Desert Eagle. Everything jams, some just take longer than others.

VIP Member
    You could have limp-wristed a round. I can almost on command cause my G23 to stovepipe by limp-wristing.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

They were the Blazer Brass cartidges, the gun was clean, but I was one hand shoting on the weak side at the time of the stovepipe. I bet I was limp wristing it.

Thanks all.

Administrator
    Yeah, if it was brass case I'd go with the limp wrist too. Esp. off hand shooting.

Oh my, I am hearing more and more about the plastic fantastic's having problems. Especially the G23's for some reason.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Administrator
    G23's heavier recoil spring shooting lightly load cheap range ammo, combined with limp wristing issues will do that. Combine it with the fact that Glock is now the go to gun for first time buyers/shooters and your bound to have a few issues.

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    You could have limp-wristed a round. I can almost on command cause my G23 to stovepipe by limp-wristing.
    Exactly my thought...limp wrist.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Very possibly a "limp-wristed" shot as others have noted, but here are a couple views on limp-wristing:

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...4&postcount=13

http://www.spw-duf.info/emperor.html#reset

Could also have been an undercharged round.

Definitely keep up with the secondary-hand shooting; you should even "limp-wrist" a bunch of ammo deliberately so you can learn your limitations on reliability. And of course, work on failure drills.

I wanna make a funny comment SO.........bad about limp wrist shooting but im trying to be good.
    "All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good men to do nothing."

Edmond Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Glockguy View Post
    I wanna make a funny comment SO.........bad about limp wrist shooting but im trying to be good.
    Just do it from a distance, brothah!

This post says something about Glocks

If you step back and look at the big picture here, we are analyzing one stovepipe incident in one Glock 23, and it is evidently worthy of note. If we were talking about some other brands of guns, we might have to specify which stovepipe on which day with which magazine. I have seen some guns stovepipe several times shooting 50 rounds of ammo.

When you have an almost perfect record doing something, people will comment if you slip up one time.

I have a confession. I have put maybe 5,000 rounds through my Glock 19, and I had a stovepipe one time. I quickly looked around to see if anybody noticed, and nobody did. So I kept it a secret until now. Gosh, I feel better getting that off my chest.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Glocks are mechanical, and anything mechanical will fail at some point.

I am sure your issue has to due with the soft alum. cases of the Blazer ammo. Glock (or most guns for that matter) extracters dont really like softer metals than brass.

Hmm, well in my experience with a dirty G22 and close to ~300 (on my part) rounds of the Blazer Aluminum, I had zero problems with extraction, all the Blazer ammo used that day was bulk from the ATK plant down in Lewiston ID...

That's just my experience...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links