Colt Police Positive Special

This is a discussion on Colt Police Positive Special within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone here carry this little gem? I used to when I lived in Seattle, but not now. The late Chic Gaylord thought very highly ...

Thread: Colt Police Positive Special

Does anyone here carry this little gem? I used to when I lived in Seattle, but not now.
    The late Chic Gaylord thought very highly of this Colt, calling it the "most practical revolver for all around use".
    Anyway, I was just curious.
    "Let's be careful out there!"
    Sgt. Esterhaus

I have carried the Colt Detective Special, which is almost the same gun.

Remember that most of these guns are 50+ years old, and that there are better alternatives today. However, these old Colts were well made and will still do the job.

gold40

This is my old war horse. Yes, it is a Police Positive I call "the Door Stop". The Door Stop was a Venezuelan Police gun and it had seen better days when I bought it. My intent was to convert it to 32 Mag but I shot Door Stop prior to altering it, I am glad I did! This is a great shooting 38 Special. I had a matte finish done to hide its scars and put a set of Herrett grips on it. It just doesn't get any better. Regards, Richard

I've never fired one but have handled the "new" models that Colt made in the early 90's. Always wished that I had bought one. They seemed to be the perfect size and weight for a 4 in revolver.

an old timer

I remember that my Dad used to have one long ago when I was young. That's been a few years ago. It was a Colt Police Positive with a 6" or near about barrel chambered in 32-20. When I got older I shot it some. I took it to the indoor range where the gun club I was in met on Wed. nights one time only. I was asked not to bring it back again. The flash and bang were somewhat excessive for the other members. They gave me lots of room on the fireing line that night. As in they cleared the line and said " Go ahead and shoot the Damn thing.

When my dad died I found out that he had sold it a short time before. I sure would have liked to have held on to it.

Quote Originally Posted by gold40 View Post
    I have carried the Colt Detective Special, which is almost the same gun.

Remember that most of these guns are 50+ years old, and that there are better alternatives today. However, these old Colts were well made and will still do the job.

gold40
    I have a few of them (Police Positive Specials). One of them I bought new over 30 years ago, and it has really been around the block once or twice.
    They are on the same frame size as the DS, and the DS was simply a PPS with a 2" or 3" barrel.
    One thing that I like about them is that they are ridiculously easy to carry. In fact, given my choice between a PPS and a DS or even a Chief's Special, my hands-down choice would be the PPS.
    They are strong little revolvers and you have in them the famous Colt quality. The Police Positive Special was probably one of the longest production runs of any Colt, so my opinion is shared by a great many people.
    I wish--probably in vain--that Colt would make this little gem again.
    Sgt. Esterhaus

Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield View Post
    This is my old war horse. Yes, it is a Police Positive I call "the Door Stop". The Door Stop was a Venezuelan Police gun and it had seen better days when I bought it. My intent was to convert it to 32 Mag but I shot Door Stop prior to altering it, I am glad I did! This is a great shooting 38 Special. I had a matte finish done to hide its scars and put a set of Herrett grips on it. It just doesn't get any better. Regards, Richard

Nice-looking gun, Richard. I have two of them in 32 Colt NP (aka 32 S&W Long), plus one in 38 special and one in 38 S&W. This last was from the Royal Hong Kong Police. The one from RHKP also has a matte tropical finish on it.
    Sgt. Esterhaus

Classic for Sure

It's a shame they are no longer produced.Excellent lockworks,triggers,size and balance.

Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    It's a shame they are no longer produced.Excellent lockworks,triggers,size and balance.
    I agree; it is a shame. The silver lining in this cloud, however, is that there a lot of them in the used gun markets, gun shows etc, and many of them are in good shape. So they are available. You just have to know what to look for.

BTW, while we are on this subject, did you know that Colt stopped production on the PPS in 1973, resumed again in 1975 or so with a new style barrel (looking similar to the Viper) and then went back to the original lathe-turned barrel for the next couple of years before they halted production permanently? What was this about? Did Colt have some lathe-turned barrels that they wantd to get rid of or what?
    I'll find out.
    BTW, I much prefer the loooks of the orignal barrel.
    Sgt. Esterhaus

Links