New m&p sheild 9mm

This is a discussion on New m&p sheild 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just traded my glock 23 for it. Test drove it at the range and loved it, and after much research on the 9mm vs .40 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: New m&p sheild 9mm

Thumbs up New m&p sheild 9mm

Just traded my glock 23 for it. test drove it at the range and loved it, and after much research on the 9mm vs .40 debate I feel confident with the switch. What are the preferred rounds to shoot? Gun store told me to avoid +p+ and rarely shoot +p.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on your new Shield. IMHO, I'd pay no (zero, nada) attention to what's spewed in a Gun Store. Check the recommendations in your owners manual or call S&W Customer Service directly for clarification. I'm a fan of Speer 124 gr Gold Dot +P 9mm. Your results may vary.

Welcome to the forum!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

+1 on what ghost tracker said
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

+2 on Ghost tracker.

Pretty sure it will handle the +p+ but probably not the best choice with a 3" barrel.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I like the 124 grain regular pressure stuff, pdx-1, golden saber,XTP, Hydra-Shok, the +p stuff is nice but you pay for it in recoil and $ if im going to push the 9mm that hard I will just use my .40, which is also a shield and on my side now ;-)
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Just in time for them to relese the new no saftey version ..

Good choice .. Buy a few brands see waht you like .. Gold dots /HST /Critcal defensive all great ... Most of my carry loads are HST or Gold dots with some CD or golden sabers thrown in

Yes they are some guns you should not shoot + p in this is not one of them ...

Just rememebr + p is a regulated stander with factory/indursty set pressure levles .. +p+ is not it can be any load the factory wants but most guns will handled them .... I do have some +P+ that is not pistole safe but the odds of finding that in a gun store are 1 in a million .. Esp as the stuff is like 80 a box and has been banned for like 20 yers

So really just buy a few brands and some +P and fire them see what you can control .. +p AND ESP +P+ have a bit more kick to them ...
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Yeah I was on the fence about waiting for the no safety version but decided on this one. It had a very good loaded indicator and the safety is out of the way enough I can leave it disengaged when carrying.
    Norm66, gatorbait51 and techieccw like this.

You will love the Shield. Very easy to conceal and easy shooting for a small gun. I put about 100 rounds of Gold Dot 124 +P through mine before I started carrying it everyday. I know it's only 100 rounds, but I experienced no issues with it and am now carrying confidently. +P should be fine for you.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

For 9mm I like the Critical Defense and Federal HST. You also can't be Gold Dot
    gatorbait51 likes this.

You'll love your Shield! Great little gun.

Your gun store guy gave you pretty good advice. Don't shoot +P+ in it. +P won't hurt it, but it's unnecessary and does accelerate wear on the gun.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I practice with whatever I can find, usually it is Federal 115 gr standard loads or the like. Most everything I can find is 115 gr. For Defensive loads it is +P of what is available. I can usually find Gold Dots, Critical Defense or HST, it just depends on what is on the shelf when I need it. I do shoot some +P. I will shoot at least one magazine of +P a month, sometimes more. You really should practice some with with you carry. In the beginning I shot more of it so I would know how it shoots and where it hits.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

My coworker swears by the shield. I think it's a nice gun. I shoot whatever I can buy cheap at range these days, but for SD I pack the mag with high quality 124 grain regular stuff like Speer or Federal.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Pics!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I run the bonded 124 grn +P golden sabers in mine.

Easier for me to get than the Gold Dots. Ammo Depot had them in stock last I checked.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    They think they don't need firearms because they never have needed them.

"God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal (more or less)."

Practice makes perfect.

You can shoot Grandpa Jones hand bench reloads through the Shield and it still runs like a mad dog! Congrats on the acquisition. You'll like it forever.
    Skip
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links