Range Report- Springfield EMP

This is a discussion on Range Report- Springfield EMP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night I went to the indoor range to try out my new EMP. The 3" barrel and thin 1911 frame makes the handgun very ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Report- Springfield EMP

Range Report- Springfield EMP

Last night I went to the indoor range to try out my new EMP. The 3" barrel and thin 1911 frame makes the handgun very concealable. One big difference in this and other sub-compacts is that Springfield includes a longer grip, preventing the "dangling pinky syndrome." The gun is a comfortable weight to carry and well balanced.

On the range- I alternated between IPSC silhouette and slow fire pistol targets. The gun was controllable for double taps (but I noticed more muzzle rise than my Glock). The gun was very accurate to slow fire. At 50' I shot a 2.75" group using a two hand grip.

I am very happy to report that with 75 rounds of FMJ and 20 rounds of defense loads- 124gr and 147gr. The gun had no feeding or ejecting problems. Every 9 round magazine went without a hitch.

As an addition to this new toy, I bought a Max Con V holster that I'm looking forward to breaking in and carrying!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

I like what I read. Glad the EMP is treating you well. Since reading SA's press release, the EMP has been on my list. I am also interested in the future development of the EMP line. Keep us posted.

VIP Member
    What are these going for?

My wife wants to get a compact 1911 & after hearing some of the issues with the .45s, maybe the 9mm would have less of those issues.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

The suggested retail is $1075, I did a little better. The Kimber Aegis is cheaper but side by side I like the Springfield better. I will tell you the recoil and flip is alot lighter than 45.

Most I've seen have gone for between $910 and $999. Gun looks sweet...very very sweet. Still a bit expensive for a 9 round 9mm, though. As a carry gun, I'd have to have more money than I do now to buy it.

Too bad, because it is a very well designed firearm.

I have been waiting for an EMP report, Sound's good! They are going for $925 - $995 so far that I've seen.

I love to have it for a back up, there are just to many in front of it though to happen anytime soon.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Very nice review

let us know how it keeps running

I dont mean to hijack your thread but I just sent my new emp in last thursday for repair. I shot the first 50 rounds very nicely then the next 50 had about 10 ftf due to trigger not releaseing after the next 15 the gun would hardly fire I finally managed to shoot 25 more and that was it for me I immediatly sent it back to springfield and am currently awaiting its return. I have not heard from springfield and doubt I will until I get the gun back but I know it had something to do with the trigger mechanism not fully releasing after you shoot. I could somtimes wiggle the trigger and hear it click then it would shoot again who knows. Anyway sorry for the rant, thanks for listening

Randy

Is too early to put this on my christmas list for next year? thanks for the review on the spring field

Randy,

I have not heard from springfield and doubt I will until I get the gun back...
    If you give Springfield a call, they will glady keep you appraised of it's whereabouts, condition, and estimated ETA. Based on limited experience, Springfield has cutomer service down pact.

Thanks for the pics and review. These look like great CCW weapons. Pricing is a bit steep considering costs of other slim 9mm autos but there is just something about the EMP that appeals to me even though I am not s huge fan of the 1911 genre for CCW.

Does this fit officers leather or does this require a custom fit?

I have about 600 rounds downrange out of my EMP so far and not a single hiccup!

It is a Keeper!
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Quote Originally Posted by orangehole View Post
    Thanks for the pics and review. These look like great CCW weapons. Pricing is a bit steep considering costs of other slim 9mm autos but there is just something about the EMP that appeals to me even though I am not s huge fan of the 1911 genre for CCW.

Does this fit officers leather or does this require a custom fit?
    A "perfect fit" is the 3" 1911 style holster, however if you already have a larger/ longer 1911 holster it will fit. I slid it in a Galco IWB 5" holster and it fits perfectly with the trigger guard. The bottom of the holster is empty.

Thanks a lot for the range report and pics!

Being a 1911 aficionado, I've been considering one these ever since I first saw one in a local gun store. It may be an ideal choice for my young bride, since she prefers 9mm and is a lefty. The EMP has the ambi safety, unlike the Aegis, and the Novak sights are also desirable, compared to the ramp. In handling, I also found the grip length to be adequate, compared to the Warthog from Para Ordnance, for example.

I saw one at last weekend's gun show for $975, which is a pretty good price, in line with what others have mentioned.

For myself, I love the .45. But for those who want a CCW 1911 in 9mm, this one may be hard to beat.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Nice piece.
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links