one Vs. Variety

This is a discussion on one Vs. Variety within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of Y'all have dedicated your time to one specific gun for your carry/training/home needs? Reason I ask is, Right now I only have ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: one Vs. Variety

one Vs. Variety

How many of Y'all have dedicated your time to one specific gun for your carry/training/home needs?

Reason I ask is, Right now I only have my Glock 19 that I was wanting to trade for something smaller/easier but have been carrying it more than I used to so It becomes second nature and it really isn't that bad. I would like to get another firearm down the road when finances become availible, but I do not know if having more than one carry gun is necessary? I would like to spend my money on a shotgun or get into the AR/AK platform. I understand people love options for carry and want a gun for every style of dress but just curious if anyone just has that one firearm they train with and carry and thats all they have.

I know many of you probably in general own more than one handgun because that is just the love of firearms but hopefully some of you guys believe in the "be afraid of the man with one gun" scenario...

2. Remove Ads

I only have two that I myself purchased, my Sig P238 and my Ruger 22. My husband bought me a shotgun and gave me one of his lever actions.

Like you, I started with a G 19. I kept reading and researching. Now, I have another Glock a couple of 1911's, a shotgun, an AR, a LC9. My advice -- unless you are a wealthy fellow, stop reading and listening to everyone Get proficient with your G19 and pick up a dozen or so magazines and a ton of ammo.

Had I don that, I'd have a lot more money in my bank account!

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Well, I for one know how you feel. I had a Berreta 950BS. Carried it for years, was my only gun. Finally I decided I wanted a little more stopping power then .25acp. So traded it for a Ruger p95. And carried that for a long time until I got tired of carrying a brick, so I traded it for a snub nose. After some time, I ended up with a Glock 23, which I loved. But it was polymer frame, and as much as I lived the Glock, I just couldn't live with polymer for my handgun. So I got rid of it by trading for, you guessed it, a snub nose. I got a Smith&Wesson 637-2 for my Glock. Currently its my only gun, I wouldn't mind buying another one maby just to have. But I've always loved my snub nose revolvers. And no I don't see the need for multiple carry guns. Not that it wouldn't be nice perhaps to have several options, but when you have just one. You get to know it very well, and it really seems, at least to me that since its your only gun. You get to work with it extencivly and you will probably be better with it, then 10 guns that you hardly use, or get to use. If you want to trade out the Glock for something a little smaller, go for it. Just make sure to firmiliarize yourself with it. Although if the Glock is working for you, then keep it. And buy a smaller gun later on when times allow. But you will have to make that call. I've only had one gun for a long time, and have traded that one gun many times to find the one that fit me the best. As it turns out for me, its a snub nose. But ultamatly its your choice, do what works best for you.
    Good gun control is hitting your target every time

With regard to handguns, I have many. However, with regard to SD, I primarily practice and train with my Glock 26 and 19.

My HD handgun is a G21SF. I may store that and simply rely on the 19. As I get older, I'm attempting to keep it simple.
    TheRevolverGuy and sparkykb like this.

Both. I like shooting a variety of guns, who doesn't? But for carry, for me, I think it's best to have one that sees all the carry time and the majority of the range/practice time. It just makes sense to me.

While I own many, I carry only one, the Glock 23 at 4:00 in an Alien Gear holster, I am a firm believer that in a force on force confrontation your training and 'reactions' will take over.

In those very precious few tenths of a second I don't want to THINK. I train to REACT and therefore I carry the same weapon the same way.......ALWAYS.

I know that I will not have the time to think about which gun I am carrying and where, is there a safety or not, etc......

I have many and carry many.

The manual of arms is the same for all of them.

Pull trigger, gun goes bang.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Variety is the spice of life...

One is better than none.

Two is better than one.

Two is what you need (at least ).

Glock 19 is a solid all around general use pistol. Keep it. Save up for something smaller or bigger or whatever else it is you're looking for.
    CLASS3NH and NONAME762 like this.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

I think it's great to have one gun you are proficient with, especially if you have other gun needs/wants since you're happy with your EDC pistol.

Instead of sticking with just one gun I expanded it to multiple models of just one platform as I got the money. 9mm Glocks. My primary is a G19. I carry a G26 quite a bit during the summer and a G17 on occasion. They all have the same manual of arms and take my 19 round spare mags (G17 mag, factory +2 extension, 11 coil G22 mag spring).

By sticking with different models of the same platform I still have some flexibility but once they clear the holster they all shoot basically the same. I don't need all of them and would pick my Gen 4 19 if I could only keep one. The others just give me options. Nice to have but not a requirement.
    Tinman517 likes this.

I started with a Sig P226 and it was waaaay to big to conceal. Then moved to a G19, smaller, yet still too big to carry IWB(for me). Then moved to a G26 and I've been carrying that for 6 months now. I like it but wanted something a bit thinner. Then moved to a Shield 9 and this might be the perfect size for me. Much thinner than the 26 and I can live with 8+1 over 10+1. Unfortunately, my county allows only 3 guns on permits so I have the G19, G26 and shield on it and I'm pretty happy that I have options.

I wish I would have know and I would have bought the shield 1st and had a lot of ammo to go shoot....

I have too many to mention, I rotate my carry guns too, and been carrying for 40 yrs now. I still havn't foung the perfect carry gun yet. CLOSE, but not the ONE that I will reserve only for carry. Besdies, Variety is the spice of Life, isn't it?
    glockcoma and Kilowatt3 like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I bought my first gun out of the Sears, Roebuck & Company 1962 Christmas catalog when I was sixteen. It was a surplus, select grade, Lee-Enfield British .303 rifle, some ammo, and a cleaning kit for about $35.00 total with tax. I filled out the order form, bought a postal money order, and sent it in. About ten days later, the mailman left the package on the front porch. I was a happy camper when I got home from high school that day. Later, I bought my first handgun from my brother-in law when he was short on money. It was a 10 1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum. He had dropped a bull elk with it at around 110 yards which impressed me greatly.

I joined the Navy at seventeen and sold the rifle. The Ruger was my one and only owned gun for several years until I was short of money and sold it to a friend. The military supplied me with lots of guns and ammo during my twenty-two years. The first gun I bought after I retired was a 10 1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum. It was my only gun for several years. My first concealed handgun was a Glock G20 10mm that I bought in 1992 for the required course to get my CCL when the state I lived in changed from may issue to shall issue.

Today, I have a safe full of guns including a 10 1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum and a Glock G20 SF 10mm. My primary urban concealed carry handguns are 1911s in either .45 ACP or 10mm. My pocket BUG is either a Sig P938 9mm or a Springfield Armory XDs-45. My remote rural concealed carry handgun is either the Glock G20 SF or FNH FNX-45 Tactical. My primary woods conceal carry handgun is a 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum. My open carry handguns are Colt, Ruger, or S&W .357 magnum, .45 Colt, or .44 magnum revolvers with 4" to 8 3/8" barrels. My primary hunting handgun is the 10 1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum.

There is nothing wrong with having only one handgun and being very proficient with it. There is nothing wrong with having lots of options when you can afford them and have the time to practice with all of them. I am retired and have lots of time to go to the gun club. I am an NRA instructor at the club and get to shoot lots of different guns.
    glockcoma, Pete63, Pinot and 3 others like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    Like you, I started with a G 19. I kept reading and researching. Now, I have another Glock a couple of 1911's, a shotgun, an AR, a LC9. My advice -- unless you are a wealthy fellow, stop reading and listening to everyone Get proficient with your G19 and pick up a dozen or so magazines and a ton of ammo.

Had I don that, I'd have a lot more money in my bank account!

Mike
    ^^^THIS^^^
    The G19 is likely to be the Best Glock ever produced. Great capacity, accuracy, and a size that can double as a CCW or duty weapon.
    IF...you are proficient with the G19, stick with it. Practice often. Find the sights that your eyes picks up without having to think about it. Keep add-ons, and accessories to a minumum.

GET A GOOD HOLSTER, AND A BETTER BELT!!!!

Guns are a sickness, in a sense that I have found that you always lust after this or that, and end up with a collection, and little cash.....
    My very first gun was an M1 carbine, purchased in the early seventies, out of a barrel of surplus guns for sale in a country store in VT. Think it was $25.00.

My first pistol, a Smith model 10, M&P, 38 special, 4 inch.

I've carried many, and owned many, but have settled on only two that i carry consistently:

A Glock 36 when the weather is fall to spring.....
    The Springfield XDs, 45acp as my go to summer carry.

Quote Originally Posted by class3nh
    I have too many to mention, I rotate my carry guns too, and been carrying for 40 yrs now. I still havn't foung the perfect carry gun yet. CLOSE, but not the ONE that I will reserve only for carry. Besdies, Variety is the spice of Life, isn't it?
    I'm still looking for the carry gun that weighs 5 ounces, comes with a custom pre-broken in holster, hits like a 45, and recoils like a .22.....
    mwhartman likes this.
    What are you prepared to do.....

Wise man once told me..."One is None. Two is One. I'm working on my second firearm.
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links