New "Oldie" Smith 6906

This is a discussion on New "Oldie" Smith 6906 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I brought back the Kahr CW45 I recently purchased because the gun wasn't reliable. It would feed a few rounds, then get a FTF ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: New "Oldie" Smith 6906

New "Oldie" Smith 6906

Well, I brought back the Kahr CW45 I recently purchased because the gun wasn't reliable. It would feed a few rounds, then get a FTF every 7-10th round. It was random, and after inspection, the slide showed many burrs in the vacinity of the breechface and extractor areas. Fed some ammo, but not all. I tried Winchester, Speer god dots (worked the best) Magtech, and federal (worked sometimes) Mag fell out too. (paid 302.00)
    ANYWAY.....I found this S&W 6906 3Rd Gen gun. Came with 2 extra mags too. 375.00 minus my employee discount ( I love working there) so for another 36.50 I got the Smith. (Most of these guns had that REALLY SQUARED trigger guard, and this one DOESN'T have it. (I hate that squared TG, it looks terrible)
    Funny thing, this Smith felt better than my other 469 Smith. After inspection, I noticed a cut out under the grip frame/triggerguard. The hammer is stainless and has a spur. I read in the Smith book, that there was a run for an Agency that requested these 2 options. I know the Performance Center Guns like this had the Relief cut under the Trigger Guard too. It also has night sights too.
    If you look at the pics, you'll notice this gun is similar in dimentions to a Glock 27 (pictured) I keep mentioning to people to NOT OVERLOOK the OLDER guns, as they are VERY similar in size/weight to the newer space guns. Something we gun "Veterans" (older crowd) always knew but never mentioned to the newbies.
    To the newer ones, who are reading this, and want a dependable, rock solid gun to stake your life on, DON'T pass up the older guns out there. MANY DEALS to be had, not to mention the collectability of some of them.
    Just words of wisdom to pass on to the next generation of shooters/CCW gang. The "latest and greatest" maybe the latest, but NOT always the greatest.
    Here's a few pics to compare different guns
    Attached Images
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

2. Remove Ads

Nice pickup. I have a 5906 which is what my father in law carried as an LEO back in the 80's. I also have a single stack 908. Both are rock solid and eat anything. 3rd gen Smiths are greatly under-appreciated and under-valued. You can get a great deal on a top notch firearm. Enjoy it.
    CLASS3NH and gatorbait51 like this.

OD*
    Great deal on a great pistoli.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Looks like you snagged a winner there!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Third gen Smiths are OK handguns. I had to carry a 4006.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Ah yes, the gun made famous by Point Break. It was carried by the off duty cop during the final bank robbery......

PBreak-00084.jpg

PBreak-00089.jpg
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Ah yes, the gun made famous by Point Break. It was carried by the off duty cop during the final bank robbery......

PBreak-00084.jpg
    Don't forget Reservoir Dogs, and Lethal Weapon III when he shoots the gang banger with the Mac.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I wasn't thrilled by them when they were new...just didn't like their looks....just didn't blow my dress up. Now, I'd snap one up if it presented itself. Funny how a few years can make such a difference. Congratulations.

PBreak-00084.jpg

PBreak-00089.jpg
    Note the squared and "hooked" trigger guard Class3NH's gun doesn't have. I prefer the rounded TG myself.
    CLASS3NH, gatorbait51 and OD* like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I've always wanted a 4506, ala "The Shield"s Vic Mackey. Haven't found the right one at the right price yet. If I got deals like that though, I'd snatch up any 3rd Gen smith I found.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Was it not the round guard ones that are harder to find holster for ?

That said I very much like the 3 gens rem me of the ruger 85/95 guns ..Big heavy all metal tanks
    gatorbait51 and CLASS3NH like this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    What a great find and purchase! Nothing like these good ol' Smiths!
    CLASS3NH and OD* like this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

Congrats on the find. Good looking and a great deal, thanks for the pictures.

PBreak-00084.jpg

PBreak-00089.jpg
    Yup.....The squared trigger guard, the bobbed hammer (usual item found on these guns, and older blade type rear sight.
    gatorbait51 and OD* like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

A truly superior firearm- I love the spur hammer.

Why S&W stopped making these is beyond me.

Sig & Beretta still profit on metal framed hammer guns, why can't Smith?

The Glock is a big step DOWN in my opinion, for both funtionality and especially safety.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links