Looking for a new 1911...Comments?

This is a discussion on Looking for a new 1911...Comments? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I pretty much give up on my Para, I just can't make it reliable enough. So, I'm looking for a 4" 1911, preferrably high ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new 1911...Comments?

Ok, I pretty much give up on my Para, I just can't make it reliable enough. So, I'm looking for a 4" 1911, preferrably high capacity. The one I have found that I like is the Colt Lightweight Commander. It holds 8 +1. This site says its 7+1, but Colt site says differently.
    Heres a link:
    http://www.thegunsource.com/shopping...dproduct=32016

Any comments or other suggestions are welcome, I just want to make an informed purchase! Thanks.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The Commander is hard to beat ( the lightweight is actualy the original commander ) and cap is just a function of what mags you put in it . I didnt bother with the link so just commenting on commanders as a class . The nice thing about 1911s is that they are " barbie dolls for big boys " meaning you can dress them up any way you want to to fit your personal preferances or needs.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

As another option, you might take a look at Kimber's CDP II lineup. I have the Ultra, which has the 3" barrel and the compact grip, allowing a 7+1 capacity. You can also get the 4" barrel and the longer grip, permitting the 8+1. Mine is reliable, accurate and comfortable to carry and shoot.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

S&W or Kimber would be alternate choices, but I don't have any issue with Colts either.

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Thumbs up COLTS

I have the Combat Commander(steel frame) in .45 and the Commander(lightwieght) in 9m/m. They are outstanding pistols. These were made in the 1970's.
    Last edited by pistola; March 11th, 2007 at 07:37 PM.

I am a Springfield fan and I have a Older Stainless Springfield that is all "tricked out" and is 100% reliable. I also have a Springfield Micro Compact Bi-tone which has been also a 100% reliable. Both are accurate and well made guns. Steve48

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    As another option, you might take a look at Kimber's CDP II lineup. I have the Ultra, which has the 3" barrel and the compact grip, allowing a 7+1 capacity. You can also get the 4" barrel and the longer grip, permitting the 8+1. Mine is reliable, accurate and comfortable to carry and shoot.
    One more vote for the Kimber 3". I don't have huge hands, but can handle most any size pistol. However, the Ultra Carry II just feels like it's made for my hand. I put a rubber Pierce grip with the finger grooves on it. Stays right where it should when I shoot.

Some don't like 3", but I've had great luck with this one.

Funny you should mention problems with the Para. I have a P14 and it has been very reliable and accurate.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

Lightweight Commander is a fine gun

Kimber Raptor series in either 3 inch or 4 inch.

You should look at Kimbers, also.

Quote Originally Posted by tj1231 View Post
    I'm looking for a 4" 1911, preferrably high capacity. The one I have found that I like is the Colt Lightweight Commander. It holds 8 +1. This site says its 7+1, but Colt site says differently.
    Any of the Colt Commanders will hold 8+1 if you use the right magazine, and most folks seem to prefer the Wilson Combat 8 rounders, which are very well made.

Normally I like Colts, and have a number of them. But in your situation, looking for an aluminum frame 4 inch 1911 for carry, I would tend to pass on new XSE Commanders for several reasons. The Colt "duckbill" grip safety doesn't appeal to me, as I prefer a beavertail that allows my hand to sit higher on the gun. I don't like the XSE's front slide serrations, which I think are unnecessary, and prefer things like night sights, front strap checkering, and some dehorning on the slide, none of which are standard on the XSE Commander. You can add those things later, but this will run up your price considerably.

I think the best solution is to look at Kimber's 4 inch lightweight models, many of which come standard with the items above at a price similar to the Colt. The particular one I have is the CDP Pro, a reliable 4 inch barrel gun which has my preferred features as standard. I added slim grips and a single side thumb safety to reduce the width of the gun, and it has everything I like now.

Springfield Champion. It's my newest and definitely worth a look.

My first choice in a Commander size 1911 would likely lean towards the Dan Wesson CBOB

Course a Les Baer is nice

Like i got

HEHE, I should have known better!

OK, thanks guys, but lets try again.

Budget < $1000.00

Basically, Colts and Paras are always the ones that catch my eye, so that's pretty much what I want to go with. After all, if I wanted ugly and reliable, well, you know.

Can someone who KNOWS list the pros/cons of a new Colt? Basically I'm looking for a good reason NOT to buy one if that makes any sense.

Taylor

Pros

Its a colt it will hold its Value
    Little to no MIM parts
    XSE style has novak copy sights
    XSE has AMbi safety
    Price is under your 1k
    lifetime warrenty

Cons

Duck butt instead of beavertail i dont care for it
    Plastice Mainspring housing never seen on break but
    Full length guiderod on XSE
    Novak copy sights are not nightsights
    Front side serrations cant stand um

thats about it

i have 2 of the XSE combat commanders

Now if you go with a lightweight you lose maybe 10 oz colt doesn't list weight on there site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links