Kimber or Wilson Combat

Kimber or Wilson Combat

This is a discussion on Kimber or Wilson Combat within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have just started looking for a 1911 pistol and I am interested in Kimber or Wilson Combat. There is a huge price difference between ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber or Wilson Combat

Kimber or Wilson Combat

I have just started looking for a 1911 pistol and I am interested in Kimber or Wilson Combat. There is a huge price difference between the two and I was wanting to know if the money is worth it and which particular model to look at.
    Last edited by cmwilson; January 12th, 2007 at 12:39 AM.

Some people will say you're paying for a name with a Wilson, but they DO make tremendous pistols. You can literally feel the quality when you hold it in your hand.

Nighthawk Customs (http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/) are made by some people who banded together after leaving Wilson (to my understanding - just had this conversation at a gun show this past Saturday), and they offer a few things that Wilson's don't, such as a flat rear sight for one-handed combat manipulation and such. They are also slightly lighter on your wallet.

Kimbers are by far excellent weapons, and I love my Custom II. It has great heft, which reduces perceived recoil, and I've not ONCE (in over 1000 rounds) had one FTE or misfeed of any kind. Wilson Combat mags, however, are some of the best for any 1911, IMHO. I have a 10-rounder for my Custom II.

Unless you're feeling rich, or want to "pimp" out your gun, I'd go with a Kimber. They're tried and true (to the point that they're the currently issued manufacturer of the MARSOC pistol), and they're a tremendous value for the money.

If I had $3000 I wouldn't miss, I might try a Wilson, but if you're on even a modest budget, I'd recommend the Kimber.

A Kimber I will agree is a "good" choice, but a Wilson is an "exceptional" choice and really leaves the Kimber's behind in total quality. The today's Kimber is not that of the earlier year's production run's, the pre series II models.

A $2,000 Wilson is worth it, A Kimber under a $1,000 is also woth it, but you pay for what you get of course. A Kimber over a $1,000 is not IMO and they have them up to near $1,500 depending on the model these day's.

If you can afford the Wilson or Nighthawk or one of the semi custom 1911's by all means pick up one but if you can't and you are looking for a good entry 1911 the Kimber is a nice choice. I have two Kimbers and both are good gun's but they are not a Wilson.

You also have to decide what you are wanting this 1911 for and that will decide what models to look at as well as what brand to look at. If you are going to shoot moderately then spending the big bucks for it to sit most of the time is probably not worth it, but if you intend to use and abuse a 1911 (in a good way) shooting, training and carrying, to me it's better in the long run to get the better quality and all around gun.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Administrator
    I know nothing of your abilities on the range, but its easy to out spend ones skill level. I would say a Wilson or the higher end Kimbers should be saved for those who can ring everything out of that pistol, otherwise your wasting your money.
    That said, both makes will make a marginal shooter look good, and I am sure you will enjoy eithier.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Kimber...

I have two...my Ultra CDP II is my EDC...

My Ultra has served me well...

I would recommend them to anyone...but you have to make your own 'choice'...

If you ask for 20 opinions...you get 20 different responses...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I have a Kimber TLE ll and it shoots like a dream...I paid around 8 bills for it.....my friend just bought a Wilson Professional....looks awesome and I'll be shooting it on Sunday.....I can't imagine it being worth an extra 1650.00 since my Kimber makes a pretty decent ragged hole....I guess if you read enough posts over on the 1911 forums on the horror of MIM parts and series 2 safeties, it could put you off a Kimber....for me, it's a range gun so I'm fine with it....and I'd even carry it without any reservations if I was allowed to.

Those nighthawk customs do look great too....as does Ed Brown's products....if money were no object, I'd probably go with a high end jobbie for the fun of it...most likely this one...

http://www.edbrown.com/cgi-bin/htmlo...07642510775884

DC Founder
    I agree with everything Nate said. I have a Kimber TLE II and have had NO problems with it whatsoever. I also have a Nighthawk Enforcer, which is a little less than the Wilson, but almost a work of art. It's fit and finish makes the Kimber look pretty bad, but guess which one I carry the most; the Kimber. If you really appreciate a fine weapon and can afford it you can't go wrong with Nighthawk or Wilson. If you just want a good gun at a good price, buy the Kimber....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I looked at the owners manual for the Kimber CDP and it strictly said- NO +P ammunition, then it advised against anything other than FMJ ammo and explained the problems of defense loads. When I Bought a Wilson, they said "anything you want to stick in it will work fine." - and it did. The accuracy and reliability are great. I'm sure customer service would be, but I never needed it.

Sure Wilson is more expensive. If you can handle and feel the guns side by side, you will see a big difference.

One other thing to consider is resale. Wilson holds value better I think.

I have two Kimbers -- Ultra CDP II and Desert Warrior -- and both are excellent, reliable pistols. They serve my needs very well and I'd recommend them to anyone.

I do, however, believe you get what you pay for. A $2000 or $3000 pistol from Wilson is definitely worth it. Whether you will realize the difference is another matter. It depends on how you'll employ the weapon, and if you'll sacrifice anything else to spend that amount. As has been said, a thousand bucks will buy a lot of ammo.

When I go to a gun show, I always take extra time looking at Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer and Nighthawk pistols, and would love to have one (or six!), but at this point I can't justify the expense.

If you're new to 1911s, I'd recommend starting with the Kimber, or another quality manufacturer in the same price range. Then after you've gained more experience with the 1911, you'll have a better idea of which features are important to you. You'll then be able to answer your own question of "Is it worth it?"
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I believe rodc13 makes a great point. Start with a standard production 1911 like Kimber or Springfield and "Graduate" into a Custom gun with the features you want.

If you plan on carrying it here's one way to look at it:
    If you are ever unfortunate enough to be involved in a shooting, the cops are going to take your gun. You might get it back someday, or maybe you won't get it back at all. (Things have been known to "disappear" from evidence lockers.)
    Would you rather lose a Kimber or a Wilson?
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Quote Originally Posted by sisco View Post
    If you are ever unfortunate enough to be involved in a shooting, the cops are going to take your gun. You might get it back someday, or maybe you won't get it back at all. (Things have been known to "disappear" from evidence lockers.)
    You can also look at the other side of the coin here as well. What is your life worth? If my Wilson or Kimber saved my butt and I was able to win the fight I don't care as a $2,000 loss is worth making it home alive.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Kimbers are nice for the money. I am a 10mm fan though and am not about to trust a Kimber which in 45 says no +P to fire 10mm and not crack the cheap MIM parts that are used.

For the money I will be getting a Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander in 10mm this year. I think it falls between the Wilson and the Kimber while also offerring the features and caliber I want in a package that I am attracted to.

Quote Originally Posted by sisco View Post
    That's a good point, but I don't believe that should ever be recommended as a consideration when choosing a pistol for CCW. $2,000 to $3,000 I can replace, just the same as I can replace the $775 I paid for my Kimber.

Granted, it sucks if it "disappears," but more than likely you will be using another gun in the meantime while it's in police custody.

Even still, if it eventually cost me $3,000 to save my own hide (having not gotten the pistol back), that's a price I'd gladly pay.

Just my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    Kimbers are nice for the money. I am a 10mm fan though and am not about to trust a Kimber which in 45 says no +P to fire 10mm and not crack the cheap MIM parts that are used.
    Kimber says no to +P for continual use in it's aluminum-framed weapons. Other manufacturers may do the same. It has nothing to do with so-called "cheap" MIM parts.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links