Looking for a pocket 9mm. Which do i choose?

This is a discussion on Looking for a pocket 9mm. Which do i choose? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so I am in the market for a pocket 9mm. I currently pocket carry a LCP with 7 round mag and Hogue grips and ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Looking for a pocket 9mm. Which do i choose?

Ok so I am in the market for a pocket 9mm. I currently pocket carry a LCP with 7 round mag and Hogue grips and it works well. But with the size it has become I figured I could go up to a 9mm probably keep the same capacity and have a harder hitting round and just keep the LCP as a backup maybe in an ankle rig. So I am at a crossroads, there are a few different guns I am considering for this role that should be about the same size as the LCP with all the extras on it. Im looking at the KelTec PF9, the Ruger LC9, and possibly a KAHR CM9 or SA XDs 9. Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well. Im looking for a single stack, I have an SCCY and KelTec P11 but both are a little to fat for me to carry in jeans. Let me know what your experiences are with these weapons and any other suggestions. Thanks in advance.

For pocket carry, I'd have to say Kahr PM/CM9.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

My Sig P938 is a great little pocket BUG. My other pocket BUG is a 3.3" Springfield Armory XDs-45.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I would shy away from the kel-tek pf9, but the kahr is a good choice. I think the XDs would be your best choice of the guns you mention. However you may want to look at the Diamondback DB9. Very slim, and very close in size to the LCP. My sisters husband owns one, and its a great shooting gun. Very reliably, and quite accurate. If I was to ever concider an plastic semi auto, it would be my bet. Personally I like a good snub nose like a smith Airweight for pocket carry. That's just my 2 cents.
    old grunt likes this.
    Good gun control is hitting your target every time

Another vote for the P938, 7+1 locked and cocked
    MMinSC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevolverGuy View Post
    ... Personally I like a good snub nose like a smith Airweight for pocket carry. That's just my 2 cents.
    How did I know "TheRevolverGuy" would get that in...somewhere?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    For pocket carry, I'd have to say Kahr PM/CM9.
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    My Sig P938 is a great little pocket BUG.
    To me these would be the one's I'd look in to. A pocket gun to me needs to fit in most pockets, not just super deep ones, and not run much of a chance of printing. Both Kahrs and the Sig are great guns. Money and trigger style are the biggest differences to me. Of these I would probably pick the Kahr, as I'm still not comfortable carrying cocked and locked in a pocket. May get there one day.
    spclopr8tr, crcr3399 and tns0038 like this.

I like my Kahr PM9. It's thin and light and a good pocket gun. Be ready, however, for a break in period during which it may not be 100% reliable. Also, some folks, including me, had to send theirs back to Kahr for manufacturing defects. I have to say their service department is quick, and the gun has been a good shooter since they fixed it.

That said, I have to agree with TheRevolverGuy. For me, nothing comforts like a Smith J-frame.
    It isn’t the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

I like the idea of the revolver but I'm not sure I like the idea of the limited capacity. Also I'm am not good at all with revolver reloading. I carry my sp101 sometimes on my belt with a couple speedloaders but nothing comforts me like an extra loaded mag or two for quick reloads in a semi auto. I always carry at least one back up mag just in case.

Another vote here for a J frame or LCR. Skip the pocket 9 merry go round of finding one that functions and is comfortable to carry.

How do you break in a revolver? Open the box.

My PF9 was the worst jammomatic POS I have ever encountered. My LC9 functioned but was just too big for me to pocket carry on a regular basis. And once I bought my LCR it never got carried again before I sold it off.
    10thmtn, Sontag, SWIll and 1 others like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Also this will be my main carry at work where I need deep concealment and a BUG the rest of the time.

Personally I like a good snub nose like a smith Airweight for pocket carry. That's just my 2 cents.
    I'm still trying to find a J-frame that fits my pockets well and I'm comfortable drawing. I really want one, but it just hasn't worked so far.
    Fitch likes this.

You will find that the rounded features of a snub will disappear in a pocket as well or better then any of the pocket autos out there. And as to the reload, with practice is just about as fast as an auto. But honestly too much is made of reloading in a defencive situation. 5 rounds of +p .38 Special makes me feel as safe as anything else, and if I need extra ammo I keep a speed strip or two handy. For a pocket or ankle gun, it doesn't get more reliable then a revolver.
    Good gun control is hitting your target every time

You will find that the rounded features of a snub will disappear in a pocket as well or better then any of the pocket autos out there. And as to the reload, with practice is just about as fast as an auto. But honestly too much is made of reloading in a defencive situation. 5 rounds of +p .38 Special makes me feel as safe as anything else, and if I need extra ammo I keep a speed strip or two handy. For a pocket or ankle gun, it doesn't get more reliable then a revolver.
    When I put my cocked & locked Sig P938 in my pocket, it disappears. A spare magazine goes in the small watch/change pocket above it. When I put my wife's S&W 640 Centennial .357 magnum J-frame in my pocket, the pocket looks pregnant and too obvious for deep concealment. Concealing a speed loader in a pocket is impossible for deep concealment, so speed strips will have to do. When I want to carry a revolver, it is a 4" Colt Python .357 magnum or a 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum plus two speed loaders on my belt covered by an un-tucked shirt.
    GWarden and old grunt like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

SR40c Actually Ill be pocket carrying one today while having some tests. Honestly and I know ill get slammed for this but even though pocket carry is a last resort mode of carry for me, I can pocket carry the sr40c or 9c as easily as I can a j frame, or a single stack 9mm.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links