Rohrbaugh R9s

Rohrbaugh R9s

This is a discussion on Rohrbaugh R9s within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I did it. I bought one. Pick it up last night. I haven't shot it yet, but hope to fix that tomorrow. Who else ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rohrbaugh R9s

Rohrbaugh R9s

Well I did it. I bought one. Pick it up last night. I haven't shot it yet, but hope to fix that tomorrow. Who else here has one? Do you replace the recoil spring after every 100 rounds? Thats what my book says. I'll post some pictures after saturdays range session. I've got a cool between the belt and pants holster by Ron Graham and a pocket holster for it. If it shoots as good as it looks, my Kahr PM9 will be left in the safe.

Assistant Administrator
    Congrats - I have two from early issues.

Yes, these days the recommendation is replacement of spring over a very short interval. Mine see only occasional use currently - the first one is a sorta safe queen, the other gets a mag or two from time to time - otherwise it is sometimes BUG and occasional primary if need be.

You will need some break in time and need to establish the ammo it likes best. There have been odd issues over time and there is quite a lot of info on my R9 FAQ site - see link below.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks P95Carry. Thats good information. I plan to shot it to insure reliability and then it will be carried alot and shot little.

I just got one a couple months ago, neat little gun. I have never had a problem with mine. Only shot 2 boxes of ammo through it then 2 magazines of PD rounds to make sure they worked OK. Guess I better get a couple springs. I have REALLY nice belt holster that snaps on the belt, but cant remember who I had make it for me. I dont plan on shooting mine much either....just occasionally to make sure everything is OK with it.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

I'm sorry I am not going to buy and gun where you have to replace parts every 100 rounds, at least not for self defense. Maybe it's just me but that comment doesn't say much for the quality of the firearm. These things bring a pretty high price tag from what I remember, wonder why, with requirements like that. I hope you enjoy your pistol.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I'm sorry I am not going to buy and gun where you have to replace parts every 100 rounds, at least not for self defense. Maybe it's just me but that comment doesn't say much for the quality of the firearm. These things bring a pretty high price tag from what I remember, wonder why, with requirements like that. I hope you enjoy your pistol.
    It has to do with PHYSICS , not Quality.

When you make a gun that small, chambered in 9mm , there is
    NO WAY a normal size spring will fit.

In order to absorb recoil and allow function , you have to go with
    a smaller - short lived spring.

Try whittling a SIG down to 12 ounces and see what happens.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Thats one of the guns I plan to purchase in the near future. And a deep concealment gun is something I'm lacking. Their website says they are coming out with a 380 model. I wonder if it will be any smaller or if the springs will last longer.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

After handling Chris's (P95Carry), It is definitely on my list once I find the money...

Assistant Administrator
    It needs remembered with the 9mm R9 - this gun is so incredibly ''shrunk'' for that caliber, the 'physics'' as AK says govern things re springs.

In fact the 9mm gun is pushing the envelope and that is why some folks have had problems. The quality is outstanding and there sits the main cost - the company has a huge investment in state-of-the-art CNS machines and each gun is hand assembled and tested to a high degree of QC.

The .380 is as I understand the exact same frame, slide etc - but obviously a new barrel. Being a ''sub'' 9mm I am thinking grip size etc will stay same so R9 frame will do fine. I am anticipating a very high reliability factor as this is maybe the ultimate cal for the gun's size and construction - and I doubt spring aspects will be as critical at all.

One other thing the R9 has been criticized for is it's tendency to allow a slight tumble of bullets sometimes (never bothered me) - this is due to the large (1/4") freebore which is there to deal with peak pressure before engraving begins - and so engraving can start a smidgeon off axis. I doubt the .380 will need anything like this much freebore and so should have no tumble issues.

The .380 is being showcased as we speak - at ShotShow.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Another thing to remember is that this gun is not a range practice gun. After I determined that is ir reliable and shoots well, it is on my side to save my life. I will not be taking it to the range to practice with. I dont mind buying a few spring to replace. I bought this to carry, not practice with.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Yes, but I still like to shoot all of my guns ever now and then. But I don't know if I could decide between the 9mm and 380. I will have to think about that one.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

No pocket gun is going to be a range gun, but I agree practice should be done with anything that you rely on to save your life.
    I would like to see some numbers out of this gun, I am not so sure there is big difference between the .380 and 9mm in such a short barrel, especially with a 1/4" of free bore, if I am correct and the .380 didn't require the spring change I would probably select the .380.
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

NCHornet
    You have an open invitation to come see and shoot my R9s. The next time your going to be near Mebane (look up Durham Pistol & Rifle Club) send me an email and I'll meet up with you at my club. db

DB,
    Thanks for the invite, wish you were closer, always like to find a new shooting partner.
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    guys face it Rohrbaugh's are not on my shopping list , nor are ferrari cars, nor truely good booz , but hey for them that can afford them well a spring change is nothing . and as stated i apprecate the little critters even tho i will most likely never own one , just like that fast car .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links