Pocket Pistol Help needed

This is a discussion on Pocket Pistol Help needed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Within the next week or two I plan to go buy myself a new pistol, something to meet the BUG/when it really has to be ...

View Poll Results: Which pistol

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bersa Thunder .380

10 10.75%
  • Taurus Bodyguard (851 or 651)

6 6.45%
  • S&W 638

16 17.20%
  • Kel-tec P3AT

61 65.59%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Pistol Help needed

Pocket Pistol Help needed

Within the next week or two I plan to go buy myself a new pistol, something to meet the BUG/when it really has to be concealed needs. After going to the gunstore I narrowed it down to 4 choices:

Bersa Thunder .380: Gunstore is currently selling the bi-tone one for $219. My dad has one, its ok to shoot, not my favorite. Longer barrel than other choices. It is accutrate, and I don't mind the little bit of weight it has.

Taurus 851 or 651: I already have a .357, and for this purpose I don't think that I would really need that round, and should be fine with a good .38spl +p. However, currently they are about the same price (about $330-350 I think), and if there isn't much difference, might as well get the .357. I like the fact that even though the hammer is shrouded, it can be used manually to swith to SA if you want.

S&W Model 638: On sale this month for a little more than the Taurus at $350. Same reasoning as above for the Taurus. Just made by a different company.

Kel-Tec P3AT: Currently selling for $250. Extremely small and probably a breeze to conceal. Seem to of have some reliability issues during break in.

I have shot a Taurus and Bersa, I don't know of any ranges around school where I could rent the other two to shoot. Opinions on any of these? Pros/cons for any of them?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

If you want TRUE pocket carry and have normal size pockets, then of your choices listed, the P3AT is the one that fits. I have one and would not hesitate to drop it in my pocket on the way out the door. I perfer more firepower, but the P3AT will always fit in your pocket. IMHO.

I have both the P3AT and a 642 for pocket carry. With a pocket holster, both work well. Steve48

Planning on buying the KelTec

I carry a SA XD.40 but during the summer months it's shorts and thin tshirts here at the beach. I've handled the Bersa and the KelTec - not yet shot either one. While the Bersa feels like a gun the KelTec gets my vote due to it's size. I won't be spending a lot of time with it at the range (enough to learn to fire it and to keep comfortable with it), but I'll sure be spending time practicing, dry-firing, drawing, etc from a pocket holster. I suspect that this gun will spend a lot of time with me.
    When a criminal busts down your door in the middle of the night, which would you rather have in your hand - a gun, or a phone?

When a thug shoves a gun in your face in the mall parking lot, which would you rather have in your hand - a gun, or a cellphone?

I have a 651, nice gun, accuracy for me is ok, but will likely put CT grips on it at some point. For me if I was going to use it mainly as a back up/pocket gun, I'd go with the P3AT. The kel-tec will about disappear in a pocket or iwb, weighs nothing and with the right ammo will do a decent job for defensive use at the distances the gun was made for.

The S&W is the only want I would want out of the choices listed, have fun deciding.

I chose the 638. I've only used revolvers for pocket carry(S&W 642 and Taurus 85UL), because, given the amount of lint and other debris a pocket gun might come into contact with, a semi-auto might be more likely to fail if needed.

ckd
    Have the 3PAT, 340, and 442, of those, the KelTec is by far the most concealble, and with Corbon DPX rounds makes for a great BUG. Does not print unless you wear you clothing like a speedo.

In winter climates, where heavy clothing is going to be a factor, the more potent the caliber the better and I have the ability to shot through my coat pocket, I pick the 340, followed by 442/642/640.

I am looking at the models you posted as well as a Walther PPK and a Sig P232. I can understand the Sig might be a little large for a pocket gun, but why leave off the Walther?
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I am in the "None of the above Category." I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II, .45 ACP in a Sam Andrews www.andrewsleather.com pocket holster.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I have never been a very big fan of Walther's, something about them just doesnt appeal to me. Also one reason it was left of the list, as was the Kimber Ultra Carry II (I do have a weak spot for .45's), were price. I am in college, and the money for this purchase is coming from either the extra money I make from bar-backing, or extra shifts I have picked up for the past couple/next couple weeks. This money is saved for purchases like this, as my usual wages have other things they need to go to like books. So my choices were determined by how many extra shifts I know that I will have.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Personally, I would save up and buy the best little .380 out....Sig P232

It's been proven reliable, is very small, and is a very attractive, sleek looking gun. I might get one depending on whether or not I get an EMP. I haven't decided yet. Tough choice for me.

Out of these choices I would go with the Kel-tec though
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Bulgarian SSR 85C 2
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Pocket pistol.....P3AT.

Choice I can vouch for......Bersa. They have a new .380cc. Bobbed beaver tail, slimmer grips, same gun. Better for pocket than the standard T380.

$.02
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I voted for the Kel-tec. You won't be able to conceal any of your other choices nearly as well as a P3AT.

Keltec 3at all the way

Well you have done the best you can do by asking what I asked before purchasing. I did not know anything about this forum when I was in the market so I asked the salesman at the gunshow. They had the largest booth, so after looking on my own for weeks, I said "what do you carry"? He said all of their sales people normally carried the 3AT. I do too, now. I love the little guy as it has become part of my daily underware. I installed the clip, carry it in my left front pocket, and it looks like a knife at first glance. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links