Kimber Question

Kimber Question

This is a discussion on Kimber Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I'm considering a Kimber Ultracarry II as my next purchase, in fact... was going to purchase it last week. All I'd ever heard was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Question

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar

Kimber Question

So, I'm considering a Kimber Ultracarry II as my next purchase, in fact... was going to purchase it last week.

All I'd ever heard was how Kimber made a wonderful product, that it was super high quality. Then, the gun dealer I went to suggested that Kimbers have a propensity to jam. I asked around to a few of the LEO's that practice at my range, and they said their luck with Kimbers was hit and miss.

Can anyone shed some light on this "jamming Kimber" rumor? If it's just crap, then I can go out and buy that pretty, pretty gun.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

VIP Member
    Allegedly, the external extractor-version (Series II) Kimbers had problems; I don't know if those extractors presented problems with every Series II gun. I have an external extractor Dan Wesson 1911 10mm...no extraction problems at all.

The Kimber Series I guns had internal extractors.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Go to www.1911forum.com and check out the Kimber room...lots of satisfied owners over there...but from what I've read, the 5 inch guns are generally more reliable...the sub 4 inch guns, and not just Kimbers, tend to have more problems do to the shorter srings and such....pesonally, for that reason I would not buy a sub Commander length gun....I have a TLE ll and it is a great shooter...very reliable...it is a series 2 but it was a transition gun and came with an internal extractor.

Administrator
    My reply would just echo the last two, except to add that if your going to have good luck with a 3" 1911 it would be one from Kimber.
    I know that the bad ones are the exception, not the norm.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've heard about a lot of people who have had jamming problems(in the form of FTCs) with Kimbers and other higher quality guns that might be built to closer tolerances than other guns. After a few hundred rounds most of the problems worked themselves out. I think the important thing is to keep it clean. I'd like to have a Kimber.

I picked up an eclipse ultra 2 a few weeks ago, so far about 1200 rounds without issue. good luck with your choice.

I've had no problems with either my 5" or 3" Kimber, both with internal extractors. I think disaffection with the short-lived external extractor magnified the few issues that arose with that design. Now it's a non-issue, unless you're purchasing used. I have a lot of confidence in my Kimbers and would not hesitate to purchase another.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

A lot of it will depend on you

I read a lot of the help me its jamming etc etc and just like a lot of problems where i work it come down to
    maintenance and using good stuff

Crap mags are not going to work well I dont know if kimber has done anything with there mags since i last tried them but they sucked

Don't buy a external extractor version

Yes there will be some break in weather some people agree or not

Granted there not as tight as a baer from the factory but kimbers are still tight

Also as said above the chambers are tighter than most other factory guns right now

I ran into this with my Baer and has some problems with reloads that didnt happen in any other 1911 i own

Never had a KImber problem. Mine were all 5 in. Ive heard the argument that Browning designed the 1911 around a 5 in barrel but hey I know lots of people with 3 and 4 in 1911 who have had no problems. I think problems with higher end weapons such as Kimber would as a rule be less frequent than with lower end. BTW why the Ultra as opposed to the CDP (custom Defense)? KImber makes so many models it gets to be a bit too much.

I had a Kimber Ultra and it never missed a beat from right out of the box until the day I traded it away ( and I regret that trade ). I replaced it with the Kimber Pro Carry in 4" and it took nearly 500 rounds to break in, but since then it is great.

Thanks, George

I have a Pro Carry II and it runs sweet. It just needed the complete break-in period before it was reliable. That might bother some, but I'm okay with it because they said it clear as day in the manual.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

You could also consider Colt Defender - 3 inch barrel

I have one Kimber, a CDP Pro with 4 inch barrel, and it has run well with no jamming problems for about 2 years since I bought it. I don't have experience with the "Ultra" size Kimbers, but like you have read many, many chat threads about them. Some people have had problems, but it is hard to tell how widespread this is.

When I decided to get a 3 inch 1911 last year, I bought a slightly used Colt Defender, which has received generally good reviews for reliability. So far I have put 600 rounds through this gun without a hitch - it has fed and extracted everything. I have modified mine somewhat with aftermarket parts to make it exactly what I want:

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Sounds like Kimber is still a good choice if I break it in fully and buy an internal extractor model...

I've been renting Kimbers to see what I thought, and the ones at the range are pretty beat up, but you can tell they'd be really nice if they were given some TLC.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Got A`Kimber... NO Problems

GOTTA BREAK IT IN.... Like All of 'em & "DON'T" buy "CRAP" Mags... spend a few bucks your family is worth it

Had a few failure to chamber @ the beginning (first 50 rnds).

No problem since
    Condition "yellow" is a heightened state of awareness & response.
    It is not paranoia...
    "IT IS YOUR ONLY ROUTE TO SURVIVAL"

An armed & knowledgeble Citizen has significantly increased their chances of continued Freedom & Safety... SO ALSO IMPROVED IS THE FUTURE OF THEIR NEIGHBORS

Range guns tend to get pretty beat up.

I have had my eye on several of Kimbers offerings, but alas, my wallet tends to pull me away from the counter.

I have shot several Kimbers and was impressed with them. I would love to wrap my mits around a loaded Ultra Raptor. It feels nice in the hand, but I haven't had the opportuntiy to actually fire one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links