Help me spend my tax refund

This is a discussion on Help me spend my tax refund within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, once again I can't decide what to get. I was looking at getting a Ruger GP100 4" or the XD45 ACP 4". It will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me spend my tax refund

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Help me spend my tax refund

Ok, once again I can't decide what to get. I was looking at getting a Ruger GP100 4" or the XD45 ACP 4". It will be used as a carry gun, and possibly a home defense sidearm, and hunting sidearm. I was also looking at the Glock 19. Are there any other guns that hold 13+1 rounds of .45ACP, that have the reliability and ruggedness of the XD45, and fall in the same price range? Any other suggestions are welcome, the budget limit is $550.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I am not a Ruger auto fan, personally, though I can't argue with some of their price points. Glock 19 is a fun plinking gun, or get the 23 if you would like a .40 cal. Same frame, same size, bigger boom.

One thing to note if you have not really handled any of the Glock compacts, if you have larger hands like I do the Glock 19/23 is some times a little uncomfortable on the last two fingers becaus of the premolded finger grooves. Its not the end of the world, but it gets annoying if you are using it to shoot a lot. It is an acceptable trade off for me for conceal carry, but if you are buying it to carry openly and to do target shooting, plinking, etc. then I would say to look at the full frames.

Just my 3.5 cents worth of opinion. Have fun spending your tax refund and let us know what you get.
    Last edited by SonofASniper; January 13th, 2007 at 04:07 AM. Reason: grammar
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I have relatively small hands, and I've handled the Glock 26. It seemed to be made to fit my hands, but I simply like the features of the XD better. The .40 Cal round's recoil is a bit snappy for me, so that's out of the question. I used to carry my XD9 until the finish on it wore off so bad, that I couldn't stand having it wear off anymore, and bought a Ruger SP101 as my daily carry. Whatever I decide to get will be either in 357 Magnum or .45ACP, but most likely I'll go with the .45, and it'll be a home defense, range, and hunting sidearm.

As a hunting BUG the .45 will be Ok but it would not be my first choice for a primary hunting gun. Depending on what you are hunting the .357 or .44 would be a much better choice for a primary gun. A hunting/SD weapon is a pretty slim combo, because what makes a good hunting gun does not make a good CC weapon. I am not a fan of the .45 so I would probably go with the .357, or start doing some wrist exercises so the .40 wouldn't be out of the question and a Glock 23 would be a great choice. Bottom line get what fits you the best and you are comfortable with.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Have you considered 10mm?

When people seem to want a semiauto for concealed carry that will double as a hunting backup gun, I always tend to think of the 10mm caliber. This caliber can be loaded with a 175 grain bullet giving 1290 fps velocity and 647 ft-lbs of muzzle energy (Winchester Silvertip ballistics from Winchester website). I think it is considerably better than .45 ACP for use on animals (with appropriate bullet design).

For $550 you can buy a Glock 29, which holds about 10 rounds and is a good size for concealed carry. Here is a shot of one done by DHart, who posts on several websites and likes the gun:

Lead Moderator
    what are you hunting a handgun with? Med size game may not drop quickly enough with a 9mm or smaller /slower caliber bullets.
    10 mm sounds like a good alternative for all around efficiency if you don't mind the recoil.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member
    A .357 Mag, and .45 ACP are both marginal hunting guns at best. I have used both as BUG guns as well as the 44 Mag hunting wild boar, in Spain and California, where they have some big pigs (Hunted them for many years and killed many pigs) . The 357 mag (150 grain, hollow cavity handloads at max FPS) would make them flinch, but they would continue on their previous path, the 45 acp (200 grain gold dots handloaded to 1100 fps) would make them change direction, but not one of them went down immediately when hit. If given a choice between the two, and given you are going to dual purpose the weapon, I recommend the 45 acp. Realize however, it is marginal at best for hunting ---short range, none adjustable sights(most cases) and is going to be used for close in defensive shots (bears) or to finish a kill. I use a 45 long colt Taurus 2.5" as a BUG hunting in most of my areas I hunt (little black bears, but some around here are aggresive). It has about the same ballistics as a 45 acp, but I use 240 grain solids for the penetration. If the bears are bigger (brown bears, bigger black bears) I carry the 44 Mag S&W M-29 4".

The pigs I shot with the 44 Mag all went down within 10 yards of being hit with the 44 mag.

I would recommend a specialty tool for each. If you can't afford that then buy the pistol that will do the best for one and make due for the other.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Well if I do decide to go with an autoloader, it probably won't be used for hunting, but more of a carry, home defense, and range gun. I'm starting to like the Glock 30, but I'd have to actually handle one before I make a decision. I don't hunt very often if at all, so that won't play a big factor in my decision. I've had a couple impulse gun purchases, and I want this one to be a well thought out purchase, as I won't be able to buy another gun for a long time. I want something that's reliable, rugged, has a tough finish, and is fairly easy to conceal (I can conceal my XD9 in an OWB setup without much of a problem). I've narrowed it down to Glock and the Springfield XD. My daily carry is the Ruger SP101 357 Mag, and my home defense system is a Remington 870 Express Magnum with 00 buckshot, and my SP101. My XD9 is now a safe queen.
    Last edited by SubNine; January 13th, 2007 at 10:44 AM.

I will echo NCHornet in that if you are looking for something effective on animals, .357 would be the absolute smallest caliber I would have. I wouldn't have a snubbie for this purpose either. A four inch barrel would be the shortest I would have. You being "somewhere in Alaska" tells me that you are likely to run into some rather large animals that have a rather heavy layer of insulation (fat) and fur. Too short of a barrel, and you will wish you had more.

To be quite honest, you are lookingfor something that to too multi-purposed. A hunting/HD/SD handgun is not hard to come by, but it won't necessarilly be very concealable. A concealable handgun may not have the terminal effects of a larger gun.

whw
    My preference would be:

Ruger - SP101, GP100 or a used Security/Service Six.

Glock - 26(9mm) for CCW, 30(.45) is marginal for carry because of size but probably one of the best overall shooters in the Glock stable, 21 (.45) is a great home defense or duty weapon with high capacity.

The XD's are good guns but the parts are hard to obtain.

good luck

whw

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Just to throw in to the mix. The XDs are great weapons, as are the Glocks for home defense, plinking and target shooting. However up where you are when carrying something for hunting defense you will definitly want something bigger than a 45ACP. Tarus has a new neat little five shot revolver with a 3" barrel for the 45 Long Colt/410 shotgun that can fit into the minimun as a hunting defense handgun but would also work well for home defense. Just an idea.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

My answer is boring. Use the money to take a training class.

My other answer is boring too. If you have to buy another gun get a Glock 19.
    Shay Van Vlymen - Instructor Tactical Response

I can help you out. Send the money to me and I will evaluate several different guns and send you my suggestion on what you should buy when you have some more money.

I think you should get a Sig P229 in .40 cal.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    When people seem to want a semiauto for concealed carry that will double as a hunting backup gun, I always tend to think of the 10mm caliber. This caliber can be loaded with a 175 grain bullet giving 1290 fps velocity and 647 ft-lbs of muzzle energy (Winchester Silvertip ballistics from Winchester website). I think it is considerably better than .45 ACP for use on animals (with appropriate bullet design).

For $550 you can buy a Glock 29, which holds about 10 rounds and is a good size for concealed carry. Here is a shot of one done by DHart, who posts on several websites and likes the gun:

I think this is the best answer yet. I do not own a Glock 29, but I do hunt with a 10mm. My trusty Colt Delta Elite has taken many hogs an put lots of Pork on the table.
    02PSD4ME

13 Shots?

A Glock-36...with two mags...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links