5,7,10,25 and 40 yard snub work

This is a discussion on 5,7,10,25 and 40 yard snub work within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took some time to put another few rounds thru the Airweight; 45 to be exact. 5-10 yards fired from the pocket holster draw, strong hand ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: 5,7,10,25 and 40 yard snub work

5,7,10,25 and 40 yard snub work

Took some time to put another few rounds thru the Airweight; 45 to be exact. 5-10 yards fired from the pocket holster draw, strong hand without support.
    At 5 yards, the sights were not brought up to a sight picture, and at 10 I used a flash sight picture. Some rounds were double taps, some single.
    At all distances, the gun was fired pretty quickly, to simulate an adrenalin response.
    At 40 yards, I did slow down some, with the thought in mind that if somehow pressed to use the little gun at that distance, I would have the opportunity to try and be more precise.

I have developed a great load for the Airweight, a lswc clocking 750 fps. It's just under a +p, and has a very manageable recoil for quick follow up shots, but still penetrates extremely well, and is easier on the gun. It prints 6-8 inches high at 25 yards, but is close enough at 10.

I was pleased to find that even with DA only trigger pull, all but 3 of the 45 rounds hit the target, which was cut to resemble the width of a human.
    image.jpg
    This pic was to give a reference of target size
    image.jpg

Do not let anyone tell you that you are not properly armed with a j frame.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Nice shootin'.

VIP Member
    Thanks for sharing that! Yep, 40 yards is pushing it for SD - supposedly you can bug out at that distance, but it IS nice to know that if disappearing is not an option the little gun WILL do a job for you!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member
    I've got a ways to go to achieve that level of proficiency with my AirWeight. At 5 yards I'm still not shooting accurately. If I can find some ammo I am going to practice more. I salute your shooting sir.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Never underestimate those lil suckers!
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Lead Moderator
    One never knows the distance a incident may happen. Better to know how to put rounds on target at distance just in case than the other way around.
    bmcgilvray and glockman10mm like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

That's not 25 yards it's 25 feet I've been to that range and, oh wait, wrong thread.

Great shooting! Was it with 2400 or unique? I'm wanting to make my own lswc loads for my 442 as I can't find much.
    Teach4Texas likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    I've got a ways to go to achieve that level of proficiency with my AirWeight. At 5 yards I'm still not shooting accurately. If I can find some ammo I am going to practice more. I salute your shooting sir.
    It is difficult for sure, but not overly so. I believe the hard part is the DA trigger stroke combined wit a short sight radius.

I've not attempted to shoot groups with it yet, in part because I really want to see what I can do with it in a more realistic defensive way. It's soooo much easier with my Colt or G27, but the EDC of this light weight gun just makes it more welcome to pocket and go.
    Navydude likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Good shooting man. Wheel guns are so cool.

Respect the snubby!!! Nice shooting.
    That you may retain your self-respect-it is better to displease the people by doing what you know is right, than to temporarily please them by doing what you know is wrong.
    -- William J.H. Boetcker

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    That's not 25 yards it's 25 feet I've been to that range and, oh wait, wrong thread.

Great shooting! Was it with 2400 or unique? I'm wanting to make my own lswc loads for my 442 as I can't find much.
    I'm using 4.9 of Unique under a 158 lswc and Federal Match primers.
    Brass is a mixture of everything.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

I appreciate your recent snub at distance post. These have encouraged me to shoot my 60 more. I'm not as accurate with it as I am my glock 17 but I wound feel comfortable making shot most would be afraid to make with a snub. So much I'm considering getting another air weight and leaning toward a 442.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Took some time to put another few rounds thru the Airweight; 45 to be exact. 5-10 yards fired from the pocket holster draw, strong hand without support.
    At 5 yards, the sights were not brought up to a sight picture, and at 10 I used a flash sight picture. Some rounds were double taps, some single.
    At all distances, the gun was fired pretty quickly, to simulate an adrenalin response.
    At 40 yards, I did slow down some, with the thought in mind that if somehow pressed to use the little gun at that distance, I would have the opportunity to try and be more precise.

I have developed a great load for the Airweight, a lswc clocking 750 fps. It's just under a +p, and has a very manageable recoil for quick follow up shots, but still penetrates extremely well, and is easier on the gun. It prints 6-8 inches high at 25 yards, but is close enough at 10.

I was pleased to find that even with DA only trigger pull, all but 3 of the 45 rounds hit the target, which was cut to resemble the width of a human.
    image.jpg
    This pic was to give a reference of target size
    image.jpg

Do not let anyone tell you that you are not properly armed with a j frame.
    Nice shooting, Glockman! I just did a similar drill with my LCR out to 25 yards.

My experience has been that shooting double action revolvers makes shooting single action and striker fired feel much easier.

Similarly, shooting a snubby at longer ranges makes the up close work become second nature.

I need to find a place near me where I can push the target past 25 yards.

Here is a target from a recent range trip supporting your conclusion that snubbies are plenty accurate.

uploadfromtaptalk1405998272017.jpg
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Good job...nice shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    Nice shooting, Glockman! I just did a similar drill with my LCR out to 25 yards.

My experience has been that shooting double action revolvers makes shooting single action and striker fired feel much easier.

Similarly, shooting a snubby at longer ranges makes the up close work become second nature.

I need to find a place near me where I can push the target past 25 yards.

Here is a target from a recent range trip supporting your conclusion that snubbies are plenty accurate.

uploadfromtaptalk1405998272017.jpg
    Very good shooting!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links