Lone Wolf barrels in Glocks

This is a discussion on Lone Wolf barrels in Glocks within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all - I posted this on GlockTalk but wanted to post it here too. Are there any benefits, other than being able to shoot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Lone Wolf barrels in Glocks

Lone Wolf barrels in Glocks

Hey all - I posted this on GlockTalk but wanted to post it here too.

Are there any benefits, other than being able to shoot lead ammo, that these barrels give you? I googled, but didn't find any info.

2. Remove Ads

You can also change calibers on many Glocks with a different barrel. You can also get longer barrels that make the handgun legal for hunting in some states with a six inch minimum barrel length.
    40Bob likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Aftermarket barrels tend to be a bit more accurate as well. At least in my experience of going from a stock M&P barrel to a Storm Lake barrel it rings true. There's also the appearance factor... a stainless barrel in all that dull black looks nice.
    Jaeger likes this.
    I suffer from CDO

It's exactly like OCD but in Alphabetical order

The way it should be!

Have bar-sto barrel in my 41 upped the accuracy at longer ranges saving some money by reloading lead. Really the biggest advantage is just a little peace of mind shooting reloads with fully supported barrel. Many shoot reloads with no problem. I just did not want to worry about it.
    flintlock62 likes this.

i use kkm, lw, and efk barrels in my glocks so i can shoot cast lead. with factory ammo i get good groups too.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    May wanna try lead in your stock barrel before you shell out bucks for the Lone Wolf. You may be surprised, mine perform just fine with lead. I do have a LW 40-9mm conversion barrel. It has performed very well too.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

VIP Member
    I have two LW barrels, no problems out of either. One is a conversion from 10mm to 40sw and the othe 40sw to 9mm.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Fully supported barrels, especially for .40S&W. Don't want any of the Kabooms !!! God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Fully supported barrels, especially for .40S&W. Don't want any of the Kabooms !!! God Bless
    What exactly do u mean by fully supported barrels?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Early Glock barrels, especially the .40, left part of the case unsupported at the feed ramp. The cases, on occasion, blew out at the base. That issue has been largely alleviated. My OEM and Storm Lake barrels are the same as to case support.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The chris, if you put a cartridge in the stock barrel you can wiggle it quite a bit. Glock does this on purpose so their weapons feed most ammo reliably. But it lets the cases bulge much more than a tighter barrel. Now if you reload, your cases get weaker much faster and the likely hood of a kaboom is much greater. The polygonal barrel on glocks do not have actual lans an grooves like typical barrel. The lans and grooves grips the bullet better an will give you better accuracy at longer ranges, along with tighter tolerances, when you put a cartridge in a lone wolf or barsto there is no wiggle much tighter fit so cases do not over expand. The downside is when reloading you have to do a better job on oal and keep to specs to make it feed reliably.
    thechriskarel and Jaeger like this.

Don't take this as anything against LW barrels.

However, one of our students came to the range with a Glock fitted with a LW barrel, along with some other mods to his gun. After about 3 or 4 rds, the gun was locked up tight as a drum. The cartridge had gotten stuck in the barrel with the ejector engaged on the casing. A wooden dowel had to be used to force the cartridge back out of the barrel. This wasn't done by me or at the range. It was at a gun shop later.

This was going to be his carry gun. BTW, he finished his course of fire with one of my guns while his modified Glock sat in the safe area of the range.

I told him he would do himself a great favor if he returned his Glock back to the factory parts and check it for reliability.

I think the case on the ammo was a little out of spec and the tight chamber on the LW barrel simply grabbed hold of the case and wouldn't let go without some persuasion.

If this is going to be a carry gun, don't monkey with it. Run it the way the gun was designed. I am not a giant Glock fan, but they do make a good gun right out of the factory.

If you are planning on shooting lead bullets, I can only assume you are going to be reloading. If you don't have the right case sizing on the reload you might find yourself with a stuck case and a crappy day at the range.
    thechriskarel and walker2713 like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

With the tighter tolerances of aftermarket barrel it is possible to get a stuck case if you are reloading an not keeping to specs. The easiest way to avoid stuck case is to use case gauges or to drop each reload into barrel to check. That takes to long, case gauges are quick an easy to use just keep the oal in specs an you will be good to go.

I have a LW 40-9 barrel for a Glock 22 with over 5k rounds put through it so far and a LW Glock 19 barrel with about 600 through it. I have had literally only one issue with the conversion barrel, and I'm 100% positive it was an ammunition problem. I was running reloads from a company that I had zero experience with and had an over expanded casing that failed to extract. I've ran about a dozen different types of hollow points through them and countless different factory brands of FMJ without even the slightest hiccup.

What it really comes down to, is run it before you carry it. I'm not saying a mag or two, more like a couple hundred rounds.

To answer your question though, you will have slightly tighter groupings. But if you're talking about for a carry gun you're better off spending that money on ammunition/training.
    thechriskarel likes this.
    "Holy crap, what a turd that thing was. I love Ruger, but man, the first time I pulled the trigger I thought I was going to have a birthday before it broke. " - Yarg28

Quote Originally Posted by thechriskarel View Post
    Hey all - I posted this on GlockTalk but wanted to post it here too.

Are there any benefits, other than being able to shoot lead ammo, that these barrels give you? I googled, but didn't find any info.
    The only benefit I can think of other than being able to shoot lead ammo is the cost of aftermarket barrels for Glocks. Other than that, I've never felt the need to buy any aftermarket barrel for any of my Glocks, and I have done caliber conversions on mine. I stick with OEM, cost not being a factor over self assurance and reliability.
    Carry means carry. That means all of the time. If you don't, you're just kidding yourself and opening up options for someone to take you down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links