Colt Concealed Carry

Colt Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on Colt Concealed Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Colt's newest entry in the CCW market, unveiled at SHOT Show....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Colt Concealed Carry

Colt's newest entry in the CCW market, unveiled at SHOT Show.
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    Welcome to the board.

I saw that today at SHOT.....I spoke to one of the Colt reps there about it. I gave him my honest opinion and said that I wouldn't bother getting that gun due to the "trough" sighting system that Kimber puts on one of their guns too. You are struggling to get any kind of decent grouping past 10 yards.....I tried the Kimber with the same "sights" and had such troubles.....
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Well its known I'm a Big 1911 fan

And I'm happy colt is trying something new

BUTTTTTTTTTTTT

They Missed the Bus on this

No sights
    No ambi safety
    Crappy Grip safety spur

I'll buy a Defender First

Or STI's New Officer sized Gun

Thumbs up New Pony

Looks like a good carry and close quarters pistol,without a bunch of bells and whistles. I think it will do well in the marketplace.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Well its known I'm a Big 1911 fan

And I'm happy colt is trying something new

BUTTTTTTTTTTTT

They Missed the Bus on this

No sights
    No ambi safety
    Crappy Grip safety spur

I'll buy a Defender First

Or STI's New Officer sized Gun
    Yea, I have to agree.

I'm sure this aint cheap... they aren't giving them away. Where are the goodies.. sights etc?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Administrator
    Basically a Lightweight Officers model with a guttersnipe (sort of) sight system - a reverse recoil spring plug & an old style 1911 Thumb Safety. OH...and some serrations on the front strap.

You guys don't like the GutterSnipe type sight system for a strictly self defensive carry gun?

I don't see a problem with the system strictly for its intended purpose.

Too bad that they didn't match the original gutter type sight exactly. That would have been better.

Absolutely...it's not a target gun.

Looking at the top of the slide it does not look like it would be too very difficult to have standard sights installed if you wanted them on there.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

there only going for 885$ recommended price

Gutter Snipe might be all right but its not for me

Nice 1911!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I can dig it. I think they just missed the boat on the melting thing that Kimber does.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Administrator

You KNOW that the 1911 Choppers and customizers are going to have a wild field day with that one.

Yer going to see front strap checkering...beavertail...satin Chrome ~ zippy custom melted milled in
    add on sights...Flared Mag Well Crimson Trace will maybe whup up a nifty laser for it.

I don't know WHY these Colt people don't ask ME to design a G~Dam Flawlessly Perfect Carry gun for them.
    I would do it for free....plus one complimentary pistol.

The only conclusion that I can come to is that the Colt folks have rocks in their heads for not knowing what EXACTLY the majority of defensive shooters WANT in a compact Self Defense carry handgun.

They can never get it 100% right.

VIP Member
    ...not for me...not based on the shooting I did!

For "CQB" shooting, I'd rather have the XS Sight System "Big Dot" tritium sights.

The STI LS-series has tiny sights that are very functional. I think Colt should have mirrored STI.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    $885 which means they will really sell for about $700. Think I'll take a wait and see on this one, I'll say they probably either pull it or redesign it within a year! My Gov't or Commander models can do everything it can do and more!

Critique of new Colt 3 inch CCW gun...

This is essentially a Colt Defender with some modifications. My comment on the modifications:

1. Slim grip panels instead of clunky rubber panels - this is good on a CCW gun - I did the same to my Defender by buying $25 slim rosewood panels on Ebay.

2. Grip safety tang instead of Defender duckbill - why not go to a high swept beavertail, which most people prefer? I bought a drop in beavertail from Wilson for about $35 to put on my Defender.

3. Dark anodize on aluminum frame and dark finish on steel slide instead of stainless on Defender - okay if you like dark instead of stainless, but a matter of personal taste - most companies offer your choice of one or the other (Kimber, Springfield, etc.)

4. Old style thumb safety lever - nothing wrong with the Defender thumb safety, so why? Nostalgia for 1945?

5. Groove instead of sights - the Defender sights are not a problem, and very helpful in longer range shots.

6. Front "ledge" on slide for press check - at least they didn't serrate it, but I never use this myself and its a throwaway to me.

7. Backstrap - I can't tell from the photo, but I'll bet its still plastic - I replaced mine on the Defender with checkered stainless steel for about $35 - the plastic just looks cheap and doesn't grab your hand like checkered stainless.

8. Mags - Why not put on a 7 round Wilson Combat Officer's size mag instead of that 6 round Colt mag? People like one more round and it would give you an edge on Kimber and their crappy mags. I immediately bought Wilson 7 rounders for my Defender.

The one thing I see here that is positive for Colt is the probable $700 price point - this is less than a new Defender and less than a Kimber Ultra or Springfield micro, I believe. This may be their main motive for this move. Here is my "modified" Defender and what I would offer if I were running Colt:

Welcome...

and thanks for the pics...

Too much $ for no sights...OK for BG's within 'spitting range'...
    I'll stick with my Kimber!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well, I'm new here. Just imported from those "other forums". I'm a dyed in the wool 1911 guy, carrying either a Lwt. Commander, a Wilson CQB Compact, a Kimber Ultra CDP, or an H&K P7M8 or a BHP on rare occasion now. I think that many buyers, especially newbies, want an inexpensive 3" .45 ACP platform for CCW. Neither the Kimber, the Defender, or the Springer have succeeded in winning over the public. Frankly, I would carry any 3" gun almost exclusively if I could find one that ran 100%. I've had my Kimber Ultra CDP (pre Series II) worked on again and it may run with certain ammo. Then there's the whole "Will it expand from that 3" barrel" question.

No matter what the mods or features that Colt could choose to offer, there would be many who want it another way. That's the nature of the beast. That's ok too, 1911 people have always liked it that way. Anything can be changed later. If I had been convinced previously that a Defender would run 100% I would have already bought one. If the alloy frame could take it, and the gun would run with CorBon DPX or even Powerball and not crack for 20,000 rds or so, that would be better still. I'd settle for 10,000 rds, and happily change the springs every 800-900 rds. I'd have preferred a few things to be different on this new gun but I still think it'll sell. Will Colt make them fast enough to get them in the stores ? I KNOW they would sell if they were widely available and dependable too. Wishful thinking ...Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links