My mind is made up going for a Sig over the M&P - Page 2

My mind is made up going for a Sig over the M&P

This is a discussion on My mind is made up going for a Sig over the M&P within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by PT-111 I'm feeling pretty good about this decision. Even with out all of you guys telling me that you agree. I think ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PT-111 View Post
    I'm feeling pretty good about this decision. Even with out all of you guys telling me that you agree.

I think I really am becoming a Sig-a-holic.

Now if I can just win the power ball lottery....I can one, or two, of each model and finish.
    I think you should get a CZ P-01 :D

lol, since you already have a SIG, try somethin different!

Or maybe you could get a FN FNP

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by garn View Post
    The thing is with forums, is that you are going to hear MUCH more bad stuff than good.. Anyone that has a problem is going to flock to the forums and post their troubles..

Everyone that has no problem with the gun is out shooting it :D

So, it probably looks much worse that it really is.

I just love the way the M&P feels in my hand, I wouldnt mind getting one :D

I don't like the M&P and wouldn't own one, but I agree with the above. Discussion boards are chocked full of negativity about different products. People with problems have a natural tendency to want to commiserate. The Internet has made that so much more convenient. I see this on all of the motorcycle forums, aviation forums, and gun forums that I participate in. It is comical to watch sometimes as folks who know a guy that has a friend who had the same problem...yada, yada, yada...chime in anytime someone mentions anything wrong with something they just bought.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I think you made a good choice with the sig, even though I am not a sig fan. The only sig I would ever consider buying at this time is a p220.

Given S&W track record of having bugs in their guns except the revolvers, I have just decided to steer clear of S&W all together. I know, I know, I am probably basing my opinion of S&W on hearsay and their other transgresions, but it is smart to stay away from a new gun design from any manufacturer until the bugs are worked out.

And for all of you sig lovers, I'm sorry. There is nothing wrong with them except they just don't fit me right. I can't hit a barn from the inside with the exception of the p220. That is the most comfortable handgun I have ever had the pleasure of shooting. If only sig would take the 220 and redesign it for 10mm.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Good choice, I'd much rather have the SIG.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

Hey PT-111, I've got a soft spot for Sig also. The 229 is great.

You did good!

I couldn't argue with anyone who'd buy a Sig, but I wanted to clarify a couple of things about the M&P. First, I don't usually buy a gun that is "new," for the reasons somebody already stated. That being said, I changed my mind for the M&P and have been glad. The "problems" section on the board is just what it is-a way to compare problems and solutions. You'll find that on a 1911 board, too. So far, the problems have been MINOR. Early problems with mags falling out: fixed after about "B" serial numbers with new frames from S&W, free warranty work. Some early broken strikers: re-design out and readily available, also free warranty work. White spots falling out of sights: I fixed this. I painted the ones on back black and the front one orange. If the BLACK spot falls out, I'll paint it. In about 600 rounds on mine, nothing has fallen out or off and it pops every primer. While you are on the forum, look at all the satisfied customers, too, for some balance. The fact that people like 10-8 Performance and Warren Tactical and other aftermarket makers are already making sights and there are lots of holster makers making holsters for the gun indicates it is popular, and it won't get that popular without a degree of success based on good qualities.
    Again, there is nothing wrong and lots very right with Sig, just don't want your impressions of the S&W falsely tainted. If you already liked/shoot Sigs, they are a better choice for you based on familiarity alone, I would think.
    Last edited by sheepdog; January 15th, 2007 at 09:06 AM. Reason: clarity
    What Would Gumby Do?

SIGs are amazingly reliable. Mine have never failed, ever. I have been to range days with 20+ members from a SIG forum and no one ever talks about malfunctions, just why they like prefer model or caliber over another.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    PT in the choice between m&p and sig , you almost cannot go wrong bud . I admit i expected the m&p to be a recycled sigma , but i found it to be the equil of any polimar handgun made . Sigs stand on thier own without comment lol . You cannot go wrong here and are almost garonteed to have a keeper not a trader no matter the pistol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I too have a SIG and it's a fine firearm. I would however like to direct attention to something. I am a member of the mp-pistol forum. The section on technical difficulties is VERY small in comparison to the vast majority of posts on the site. It is true that early serial numbers had some various issues. Mine was in the MPBxxxx serial number range and I had troubles with light strikes. S&W was quick to remedy this in it's later models and the new ones coming off the line have many reports of testers running 6000+ rds without cleaning and without a single malf. In regards to my M&P, as I'm typing this I'm waiting for the UPS man to come with my pistol fresh from the S&W repair shop where they upgraded the fire pin to the new design. Did I mention that I sent it in and am getting it back in exactly 7 days from ship to return?

Anyway, good choice in the SIG. Not a bad idea to wait it out on a new design. But don't throw out the M&P just yet. The best is yet to come in this design.

MC

you should change your mind and get the M&P

Quote Originally Posted by knomath View Post
    you should change your mind and get the M&P
    I concur!

You're not going to go wrong either way. You can see my M&P in my Avatar. I've got near to a thousand rounds through it without a hitch. I've also owned a Sig (a P220) that I sold to get th M&P (turns out I don't like DA/SA triggers!). Either way, I think you'll be happy. True enough though, the Sig is a tested, proven design, whereas the M&P is still working through is initial run of flaws (but S&W is backing their warranties). I guess for a bit of perspective, I should say that my next handgun will be a P220R DAK.

Who says you can only have one pistol!?! I've said it before: I don't suffer from firearm addiction... I enjoy every minute of it!

Bottom line, if the Sig fits your hand well, you've done well!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I have an M&P and love it. Sig is good, but think of all the money you can put towards other things by getting a gun that is cheaper only in price.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

That is something few people are considering....Sig's are great but geez they are boku bucks!

I like sigs, but I love my M&P....relative to how many M&P's are being sold, there are very, very few issues with the pistols. Quite a few guys have over 10k through their guns with no issues at all. All the guys with early runs have been taken care of through customer support.

Weren't Sigs having QC issues lately?

Its your money and you choose what to spend it on, and thats fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Who says you can only have one pistol!?! I've said it before: I don't suffer from firearm addiction... I enjoy every minute of it!

Bottom line, if the Sig fits your hand well, you've done well!
    Oh, believe me, I know I can have more than one. I have 10 right now. But, I was trying to decide what my reward gun would be. And I made the decision. It is going to be the Sig P229 in .40 cal.

But, I do plan on still getting an M&P. What I want is an M&P compact in .40 cal. But seeing as how it isn't really even out on the market yet I will probably wait until the compact model has been out there getting the bugs worked out for a year or so. Then I'll get myself one.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I have made my decision.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links