My mind is made up going for a Sig over the M&P

This is a discussion on My mind is made up going for a Sig over the M&P within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yup. I made my decision. I have been trying to decide between a S&W M&P in .40 cal, either the full size or the compact ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My mind is made up going for a Sig over the M&P

Yup. I made my decision.

I have been trying to decide between a S&W M&P in .40 cal, either the full size or the compact as it is due out any time now or the Sig P229 in .40 cal.
    The other day, someone on this board posted a link to the M&P forum and I cruised on over and registered and started reading and learning. And, in the process of checking the board out, I discovered to my surprise a whole topic section dedicated to folks having problems with their M&P's.

I clicked on that topic section and to my dismay, there were 2 or 3 pages of threads full of people telling about their problems with their M&P's. Weird problems like broken strikers and the white dots on their sights flying off. (anybody ever had the white dot of paint fly off your sights?) and all manner of other strange problems. Lots of slides locking back with half full mags and other problems.

Well, after reading all of them my mind was made up. I am buying the Sig and I may get an M&P .40 compact at some time in the future but only after the M&P has been out long enough that S&W has worked the kinks out completely.

I know there are a lot of M&P owners on here and I am NOT trying to say it is a bad gun or that it is failure prone. Please do not think I am saying that. I just trust Sig more than S&W is all and I will wait to get myself an M&P until I feel more confident in the line.

Just thought I'd share.

In case any of you M&P owners out there do not know about the M&P forum, here is a link to the Tech. Difficulties page of it. You can get to the rest of it from there.
    http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewforu...56e93a75a5c38c
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

The thing is with forums, is that you are going to hear MUCH more bad stuff than good.. Anyone that has a problem is going to flock to the forums and post their troubles..

Everyone that has no problem with the gun is out shooting it :D

So, it probably looks much worse that it really is.

I just love the way the M&P feels in my hand, I wouldnt mind getting one :D

I'd definately rather have a Sig. I'm not bad mouthing the M&P it's just not my thing.
    But to be fair each forum seems to have their own likes and dislikes..... Kimber, Taurus, S&W , pretty much all guns. Each separate forum seem to sway in different directions.

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    You will be pleased....
    Be sure to get a .357 sig bbl for it....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Good choice

I don't know anything about the S&W M&P except that it is brand new on the market. Under those conditions, you are wise to hold off until the gun has proven itself for a year or two. Lots of new guns have teething problems - maybe the M&P will, and maybe it won't. But you won't be the guinea pig.

You can't go wrong with the Sig P229 in .40. The gun has been in the market for a number of years, and tens of thousands of them have been produced and are in use. Several government agencies use them as their standard sidearm.

I've had mine for about 6 years and it has never missed a beat. I trust it completely.

Your choosing a good guy my man!!

Administrator
    You have made the correct choice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

See my avatar! Nice choice..

Lead Moderator
    Don't think you'll ever regret getting the SIG. But, I've been known to be a little biased.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Good choice! For many moons now I have lusted for a Sig P229 in the SAS version. A buddy fromthis forum evenmet me at a range in the next county and let me crank a couple of hundred rounds thru HIS SAS 229. Haven't seen Rocnerd in quite awhile. Anybody heard from him? Anyway, I have pics of that posted in my gallery on this site. The P229 SAS is wonderful and smooth but it's pretty heavy I think. At least compared to my Glock M27. That pretty well sets the 40 cal standard for me. I'm seriously looking at the P226 9mm in the Blackwater edition.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

whw
    I just don't read, or hear, many negative comments about the Sig. I think you made the right choice.

Administrator

The old QK Rule is not to even consider a first run or super early production run of any firearm.

S&W has actually sold an amazing number of M&Ps by now so I'm best guessing that the majority of them are OK now.

I always expect initial & first production bugs with any firearm having more than 2 moving parts.

It's good to remember that usually the only people that post in any firearm troubleshooting and repair forum are the shooters that are having problems.

With any massive production run of firearms many more than several pages could be filled with posts of folks having individual problems and the total percentage of "BAD" firearms is likely still a fraction of 1%.

I'm not sticking up for S&W or the M&P but, I just want to set the record straight concerning all production firearms in that it's highly likely that a reader will get a very skewed impression.

Also important to remember that on any public forum some people will jump at the chance to slam S&W every chance they get since they can never forgive Smith & Wesson for their past transgressions.

That would be if they actually own a S&W handgun...or not.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Not that Sig needs any more testimonials, but my 228 9mm has 5,000+ through it, and not one failure, ever. Some of these have been "hard" rounds, too - exended rapid fire strings, shooting in the rain, shooting dirty, shooting from awkward positions, et cetera. The fact that it has NEVER bobbled, no matter how hard I tried to make it quit, says something in my book.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I don't own either....but if I was going to choose between the two...it would be the SIG. I think the Sig is just the better firearm of the two. but I also think the price tag may reflect that. congrats on your choice. now make sure you buy a few extra mags, a good carry rig, and shoot the heck out of it.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I'm feeling pretty good about this decision. Even with out all of you guys telling me that you agree.

I think I really am becoming a Sig-a-holic.

Now if I can just win the power ball lottery....I can one, or two, of each model and finish.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links