Kahr CM9 lovers speak up

Kahr CM9 lovers speak up

This is a discussion on Kahr CM9 lovers speak up within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the longest time I carried a Glock 27 or 26 in a Galco Second Amendment tuckable holster at about 12:30. I didn't tuck a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Kahr CM9 lovers speak up

Kahr CM9 lovers speak up

For the longest time I carried a Glock 27 or 26 in a Galco Second Amendment tuckable holster at about 12:30. I didn't tuck a dress shirt very often except for church services on occasion; other times I'd put it in a Smart Carry. Twin hernia repairs last September made any appendix carry too painful, so I sold the G26 and got a new SS Ruger LCP thinking of pocket carry in a Remora holster. It was actually OK to carry the LCP the old way: appendix IWB at 12:30 because it rode high enough to not aggravate my hernia scars, so I seldom carried it in a pocket.

Flash forward to this spring and I'm having second thoughts about a used Kahr CM9 that I sold to a buddy last summer. For an extra 4-5 ounces I could be appendix carrying a 9mm pistol rated for +P ammunition instead of a .380acp. My buddy, who seldom shoots his pistols, he just throws them into the glovebox, agreed to trade the used Kahr back to me for a brand new one, which I purchased from my FFL dealer for about $360 out the door. I've since run about 350 total rounds through the CM9 without a hiccup and I've purchased three hi-cap magazines with the finger extension to supplement my carry magazine with a Pearce finger extension. I've also picked up a Fobus magazine carrier with a paddle for two spares. And, I've added a rubberized Talon grip and a spot of neon orange fingernail polish to the front sight.

The gun has really been amazing to me. I shot it in a local IDPA match and placed in the middle of the pack despite the 6/7 round magazines requiring at least one extra mag change on most of the stages. The strike-fired trigger is long, but smooth, and sort of reminds me of a Glock. My only issue with the gun has been oxidation on the magazine release/catch. For about $22, inc. shipping and handling, I'm getting a new mag catch (app. $18 from Kahr) Cerakoted at Alternative Coatings in Peoria, AZ --- that should take care of the rust issues (I hope). For about $60 I could have the slide and slide release coated, which I might do in the future because I like black better than silver.

How many of you have made the jump to the baby Kahrs (CM9 and PM9)? Have they proven themselves worthy of an EDC weapon and how are you carrying? Have you also departed from the Glock train and what kind of single stack 9mm Glock would it take to win back your business?

For me, once I've gotten used to a CC gun in IDPA, IPSC and BUG matches I get more and more reluctant to shift back to a brand that has proven so reliable and accurate in a double stack gun (like Glock).

Thanks for your input.

(PS - I'll try to take a few pics and post a bit later.)
    AnthonyC likes this.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

Kahr love...............

I don't want feel like I'm raining on the Kahr parade again, so I'll just post this. I do like my PM9, but I'm not ready for a monogamous relationship with it yet.

I have said this before and I'll say it here... I don't know that I ever knew what a smooth trigger was until I got a Kahr.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I like my CM9, CW380 and CM45 all have been great guns.

Distinguished Member
    The CM/CW line up is IMO a deal right now,great slim guns at incredible pricing
    and free mag offer going on now
    Czombie likes this.

Love my CM-9. Bought a very early one in mid-2011 after reading a favorable review in Gun tests magazine. Had to pay nearly list price, but I expected that. The gun has been utterly reliable from the beginning. No '200 round break-in period' needed with this example. Shot many different brands and types of ammo with zero malfunctions.

Here in the Seattle area, where it has been high 70's to mid-80's for a couple of weeks now, the CM is my EDC in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. I suspect that these temperatures aren't extreme for many people in other parts of the country, but around here, it's shorts and t-shirt weather.

According to a 2014 DC poll, about 75% of Kahr owners love their Kahr enough to trust it as a carry gun. But about 25% had enough problems with theirs that they gave up on the gun. Some DC members have tried multiple Kahrs without getting a reliable one.

Fired 4 rounds out mine then sold it .. It hit the web of my hand like a freight train and the texture did not help... I am ok with the K9 but that thing just kick too much and too wrong ... And I fired 357 and 44 mag a lot so not the caliber for me
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array TIDEHSV's Avatar
    Crazy about my cm9...

I've had my CM9 for about 2 years or so now. Even in the "break-in period" I don't think I had any problems what so ever, it ran like a champ. I have loved mine. Big hands make it a little tricky without the extension, but not unbearable. It shoots everything I've fed through it without a problem. I would definitely recommend it to anyone in that market!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Kahr love...............

I don't want feel like I'm raining on the Kahr parade again, so I'll just post this. I do like my PM9, but I'm not ready for a monogamous relationship with it yet.

I have said this before and I'll say it here... I don't know that I ever knew what a smooth trigger was until I got a Kahr.
    My feelings exactly.

Got mine early on also , No malfunctions at all. Carry at 4 O'Clock in a Galco tuck n go or a Sto n go.

Senior Member Array SigIsTheAnswer's Avatar
    Why didn't you just keep the Glock 26 and get a good IWB Holster and switch from appendix carry? Wouldn't that have been a cheaper, better solution?
    Sig Sauer P516, Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion ,Sig Sauer M11-A1 TB, Beretta PX4 Storm compact, FN Five SeveN 5.7, Glock 30 Gen 3
    Glock 26 Gen 4

Semper Fi USMC 0341/8152 2003-2007
    Army National Guard 11C 2009-2014

Quote Originally Posted by SigIsTheAnswer View Post
    Why didn't you just keep the Glock 26 and get a good IWB Holster and switch from appendix carry? Wouldn't that have been a cheaper, better solution?
    There's a lot to be said for the comfort of having the gun fit your hand. The Glocks just weren't comfortable; the Kahrs were...

Really like mine. It is now my EDC. However, there are some things to know about running and maintaining the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyC View Post
    Really like mine. It is now my EDC. However, there are some things to know about running and maintaining the gun.
    I agree. The first thing I did was strip, clean and lubricate and it's cycled several hundred rounds perfectly. I don't really quite understand this "OUT OF THE BOX" mentality. I think everyone should get to know the gun first...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links