Gun Terminology For Dummies

This is a discussion on Gun Terminology For Dummies within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I debated: General Firearm Discussion or Defensive Carry Guns? Defensive Carry wins, because out of the posts I read, this is where I see the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Gun Terminology For Dummies

I debated: General Firearm Discussion or Defensive Carry Guns? Defensive Carry wins, because out of the posts I read, this is where I see the most frequent use of terminology/phrases in question. Several of my questions were raised, again, tonight in response to other's new firearm purchase(s), impressions of a particular make/model, or what folks look for in an EDC firearm. Thanks

1) Short-stroking: what exactly does this mean & would I feel it/catch the mistake if I were doing it? Is this the same as "yanking" the trigger?
    2)"Ride the Sear:" this refers to what? Is this the same as "riding the reset?"
    3) Trigger creep: seems like common sense, but I want to be sure I understand correctly.
    4) Natural pointer: How do you know a gun is a natural pointer? Maybe it's the shooter that's NOT a natural?
    5) BBQ gun: Is this a gun you like to show off or one that has more fire-power that is suppose to BBQ a target on the spot?
    SigIsTheAnswer and LuvMyPX4 like this.

Senior Member Array SigIsTheAnswer's Avatar
    For a natural pointer, put the pistol in your hands while facing your intended target and close your eyes. Raise the weapon as if you are going to fire and open your eyes. If the point of aim is on target and feels comfortable in your hand then you have a naturally pointing weapon with your grip style.
    Sig Sauer P516, Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion ,Sig Sauer M11-A1 TB, Beretta PX4 Storm compact, FN Five SeveN 5.7, Glock 30 Gen 3
    Glock 26 Gen 4

Semper Fi USMC 0341/8152 2003-2007
    Army National Guard 11C 2009-2014

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Question 5 is a show off gun - or this:

bbq grill.jpg
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Self Defense Stories
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Trigger creep is how much farther the trigger moves after the initial takeup before it trips the sear.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Quote Originally Posted by redbirddog5 View Post
    I debated: General Firearm Discussion or Defensive Carry Guns? Defensive Carry wins, because out of the posts I read, this is where I see the most frequent use of terminology/phrases in question. Several of my questions were raised, again, tonight in response to other's new firearm purchase(s), impressions of a particular make/model, or what folks look for in an EDC firearm. Thanks

1) Short-stroking: what exactly does this mean & would I feel it/catch the mistake if I were doing it? Is this the same as "yanking" the trigger?
    2)"Ride the Sear:" this refers to what? Is this the same as "riding the reset?"
    3) Trigger creep: seems like common sense, but I want to be sure I understand correctly.
    4) Natural pointer: How do you know a gun is a natural pointer? Maybe it's the shooter that's NOT a natural?
    5) BBQ gun: Is this a gun you like to show off or one that has more fire-power that is suppose to BBQ a target on the spot?
    I'll try.

1. 'Short-stroking', applies to the slide on a semiautomatic pistol failing to cycle all the way to the rear before coming back forward again. This can cause both ejection, and feeding problems.

2. 'Riding the sear', I'm not sure; but it sounds like taking too long to break the sear, or shot. In the alternative it could mean not allowing the sear to reset properly - Which would, indeed, be called, 'riding the reset' on a striker-fired pistol. (It's all just semantics.)

3. 'Trigger creep', means just that. It is excessive mechanical movement of the trigger while you're trying to release the sear and let the shot go. If you know what to look for you can actually feel trigger creep while you're applying pressure to the trigger's face.

4. 'Natural pointer', has little if anything to do with a pistol's actual balance in the hand. Any handgun that gives the shooter the feeling of having more control over the muzzle is a, 'natural pointer'. Personally, I don't care exactly where a handgun's center-of-balance is. I'm concerned about whether or not the muzzle goes where I want it to as I thrust the pistol forward.

The best, 'natural pointer' I've ever used? A Colt Single-Action Army Model with a 5 or 6 inch barrel. A very good, 'natural pointer'? A Colt 1911 pattern pistol with a 5 inch barrel. A genuinely lousy, 'natural pointer' that takes a lot of experience and highly refined proprioceptive reflexes (muscle memory) in order to point shoot well? That would be one of my blocky Glocks.

5. A, 'BBQ gun'? I've been using pistols for more than 50 years; and I've never encountered this phrase before. In fact, if it's what you suggest then I object to both the term and the practice. It sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

NOTE: Here, I found the term, 'BBQ Gun' on the net: It refers to a handgun that is seldom used, and generally worn on only special social occasions. Urban Dictionary: BBQ Gun

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    COM - Center of Mass

Trigger creep: trigger creep ?? | The Firearms Forum

Trugger stacking:
    A trigger that has “stacking” issues will have an area of unintentionally increased resistance before the “break.” This can also be referred to as a “false break.” In a trigger that has stacking issues the shooter needs to apply enough pressure to get past the “stack,” which is usually enough to move past the “break” as well once the “stack” has been passed. This means that it’s more difficult to control the firearm for precision shots.
    Ask Foghorn: Trigger Terminology | The Truth About Guns

creeping and stacking: Definitions of trigger "creep", "stacking" and shooting "offhand". - THR
    Creep is when you have pulled the trigger through the initial takeup, but you can feel the trigger moving back before it breaks, usually in a gritty and irregular fashion.
    BBQ Gun:
    An old term from the Southwest that refers to a gun that is not worn daily. It won't have the scratches, wear marks, etc a daily wear gun would have. These guns were not something that were never used or "useless." In the time the term came about they were functional guns (sometimes, heavily modified for better accuracy/reliability/etc) that might have some custom engraving, polishing, or custom grips. They didn't make many guns purely for show - they made guns to use and users modified them for show. They were normally worn in tooled leather holsters as opposed to daily wear holsters - which were plain.

In the revolver days (before semi-auto pistols) a church gun was a normal firearm as described above. After the semi-auto pistols arrived on scene this term applied to mostly Colt 1911's. Current times this can apply to any firearm that has custom work designed to enhance mainly appearance and, much of the time - functionality.
    Urban Dictionary: BBQ Gun

There are classes of these guns---BBQ guns and Court guns.
    A BBQ rig is always engraved---ALWAYS---

if the best you can do is some fancy handles then you are what the boys call bankers--all hat and no cattle.

Boys--have some silver or gold inlay in them thangs. DO NOT wear a drop loop or quick draw rig---it is a real sign of drugstore cowboy.

The grips are ivory.
    The rig is hand tooled, using lots of color--always a three inch belt---some silver or gold on the rig is optional but appreciated.

Court guns are more subdued--suitable for the board room or business.
    Guns are blued and engraved--no silver or gold.

Rig is equally conservative--no gold or silver conchos, no colors--conservative staining--cordivan, brown or black.
    IMO it has to be engraved. A nickel finish isn't enough to qualify. I have a bunch of nickel guns and they aren't "BBQ Guns."

It must have fancy stocks. I think ivory, pearl, stag, or at the very least an exotic wood. Carving or scrimshaw helps. Wood would probably have to have some carving. Ivory, pearl or stag can get by as is.

Some high-end leather is in order. The gun is to be worn, carried, used and showed off. No such thing as a safe queen "BBQ Gun." Carved or stamped patterns or designs, please.
    So what is YOUR definition of a BBQ gun?

Number 3... here is an example of Trigger Creeps
    inside-chipotle630.jpg

My mercy! Questions lead to more questions! Thanks y'all for. I'm going to get some sleep before I return w/ the follow-up. I am clear on the BBQ gun though, and I don't have one yet.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

Short stroking refers to not fully cycling the slide/fore-end of a pump action shotgun/rifle to the rear before starting the forward motion of the slide or not bringing the loop of a lever action all the way forward before cycling it back to the stock. This can result in locking up the action requiring disassembly.

Here's the way I learned these terms ...

Short-stroking: not allowing the trigger enough forward travel sufficient to reset the trigger, before pulling the trigger again.

Natural pointer: whether the gun's POA naturally goes to the right spot, without having to consciously adjust things or "force" it. "Effortless" accuracy, IOW. Doesn't apply to follow-on accuracy, to a large extent, since that then brings in overall balance, weight/length, and other factors.

BBQ gun: a show-off gun. Think of any duded-up affair you might have been to, where you wanted to show off your finery, or your new exotic in its custom ostrich-hide holster, or whatever. That's a barbeque gun. For when you're just showin' off.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Short stroking refers to not fully cycling the slide/fore-end of a pump action shotgun/rifle to the rear before starting the forward motion of the slide or not bringing the loop of a lever action all the way forward before cycling it back to the stock. This can result in locking up the action requiring disassembly.
    this is the definition I am familiar with.

and all this time I thought BBQ gun was the one that sat on the side table of my grill. hrumph.
    redbirddog5 likes this.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

Definition of, 'Short-Stroking':

'Short Stroke' is defined as, 'an attempt to cycle the action of a firearm (any firearm, rifle, pistol or shotgun) with a loaded magazine that fails complete the full mechanical cycle of the action, resulting in a failure to chamber the next round in the magazine and/or a failure to reset the fire control group, resulting in a failure-to-fire.'

Ask Foghorn: What is Short Stroking? | The Truth About Guns

Personally I've never short-stroked a pump-action rifle or a shotgun in my entire life; but I suppose there are people who do. When I think of short-stroking I think of either semiautomatic rifle bolts, or pistol slides, and: (1) guns that are filthy, or have a worn-out recoil spring; (2) cartridges that are underpowered; or (3) magazines that are overstuffed and can apply enough pressure to the bottom of the slide to cause it to hang-up.

Definition of a, 'Natural Pointer': (At risk of repeating myself)

'Natural pointing', has little if anything to do with a pistol's actual balance in the hand. Any handgun that gives the shooter the feeling of having more control over the muzzle is a, 'natural pointer'.

Personally, I don't care exactly where a handgun's center-of-balance is. I'm only concerned about whether or not the muzzle goes where I want it to as I thrust the pistol forward. Unless you're either Bill Jordan, or standing very close to the target it's extremely difficult to, 'point-shoot' well from retention. Normally, you've got to get the pistol out in front of you; take Fairbairn's and Applegate's advice, and fire off your vertical body centerline.

Natural pointing' is, certainly, repeatable. At 15 to 18 yards I've put the contents of an entire magazine (10 to 15 fired rounds) into a 12 inch square target; and I'm able to do this over and over again, just as fast as I can tap the trigger.

Natural pointing' has nothing to do with a gun's, 'point-of-aim'. It's much more like pointing your finger directly at an object. (In this case, the target.) This is, 'Why' you have to teach yourself to be very, 'muzzle conscious'.

Maybe if I lived in New Mexico, or Arizona I'd have heard the term, 'BBQ gun' before; but I don't; and this is a new one on me. Up here in the Northeast I doubt that I'll ever hear or use it, even once.

Sometimes the Internet can have a way of really changing things. (So, this week when I go to the range somebody's sure to say to me, 'Hey, what do you think of my new BBQ gun!')
    redbirddog5 likes this.

TRX
    > stacking

That sounds like what we'd call "stiction" in engineering, a shorthand for "static friction." Like what you get from the cobby plastic wossname slider part in an S&W Sigma.
    redbirddog5 likes this.

All this time I thought BBQ gun was the polar opposite, a beater. As in a gun *refinished* with black BBQ paint, one of the local gun shop's tricks.
    redbirddog5 and vice87 like this.

Administrator
    There are BBQ guns AND BBQ holsters. Which I define as any gun, holster, or "gun and holster & belt combination" that LOOKS BETTER and more tasty than whatever food is on the BBQ menu.

When you are spending more time looking at (and drooling over) the gun than what is on your plate...THAT is a true BBQ GUN.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links