Sig P938 failure to chamber

Sig P938 failure to chamber

This is a discussion on Sig P938 failure to chamber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Love my P938 for various reasons: easy to carry, accurate, feels like a mini-1911, and...reliable...uh...mostly. I have had the 938 for about a year or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Sig P938 failure to chamber

Thumbs down Sig P938 failure to chamber

Love my P938 for various reasons: easy to carry, accurate, feels like a mini-1911, and...reliable...uh...mostly.

I have had the 938 for about a year or so. I've put about 500 rounds or more through the weapon over the past year, mostly FMJ. However, I think it's important to practice with my carry ammo, so I have also tried several JHP loads as well. Mostly, the firearm has functioned as advertised. However, on three occasions I have had a round get stuck between the slide/bolt and the feed ramp. In each instance, I had inserted a fresh magazine (6 or 7 round mags) and either racked the slide to chamber a round or released the open slide using the slide release. Also, and this is probably the most important point, every failure to chamber a round, e.g. jam, occurred with Corbon 125 JHP Luger+P rounds. Once the weapon is loaded and shooting, no issues. The only three misfeeds have occurred with fresh mags loaded with Corbon 125 JHPs. I find this puzzling. I have had no problems with Speer, Golden Saber, Black Talon, Hydrashock, or FMJ.

I have three thoughts why the Sig chokes on Corbon ammo. 1) With a fresh mag, the rounds are under more pressure (the mag springs are pretty tight when topped up), 2) the Corbon round has a large "hollow" and the bullet has some sharp edges giving the round a wide, flat presentation, 3) the Corbon round is shorter than other JHP rounds. Take a look at the photo below:

The Corbon is the second from the left (Saber, Corbon, BT, Gold Dot). While it doesn't look like it in the photo, the Corbon is shorter than the Black Talon. You can see that it is much more "flat-nosed."
    It's too bad. I really like the way the Corbon shoots. It leaves big crisp holes in targets. But I can't carry a round the doesn't cycle consistently.

Lesson learned: practice with yer carry loads. Caveat emptor.

Senior Member Array SigIsTheAnswer's Avatar
    I am pretty sure you must not be pulling the trigger properly. Sigs are unstoppable machines that have no limit and never show wear or give malfunction. This is all about you. Now what you need to do is to never mention this to anyone ever again and we can all be friends again.
    gatorbait51, Nix and deadsexy like this.
    Sig Sauer P516, Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion ,Sig Sauer M11-A1 TB, Beretta PX4 Storm compact, FN Five SeveN 5.7, Glock 30 Gen 3
    Glock 26 Gen 4

Semper Fi USMC 0341/8152 2003-2007
    Army National Guard 11C 2009-2014

Wow. Lots of sharp edge (even if it is copper) to dig into the feedramp. Try polishing the feedramp.
    But with lots of other good ammo to choose from, I wouldn't hesitate to switch brands if that doesn't work.
    I had the same problem with my P938 and Critical Defense (I think). Polished the ramp and no more problem.
    Eric357 likes this.

VIP Member
    It's a signess, man,A signess
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

Lots of good defensive rounds out there. If it runs Gold Dots, I'd call it good.
    Eric357 likes this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Mostly doesn't cut it with me. Send that Exeter made SIG-Sauer back to Exeter and tell them to make it right.

You're not the first with this model. Nor will you likely be the last.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

My first reaction is to tell you to, um, stop using Corbon ammo.

That being said, there have been some issues with earlier built 938's (which is why I like to wait a while before a new gun comes out before I buy it wherever possible). Send it back to Sig, and they'll likely install some different springs and whatnot. You'll be better off in the end.

Thanks for the feedback, gents.

Quote Originally Posted by SigIsTheAnswer View Post
    This is all about you.
    I know, right!? What? I cant even rack a slide?

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Try polishing the feedramp. ... Polished the ramp and no more problem.
    This was my thought, too. The ramp had some coating on it, but some of the fancy coating wore off. I figured the sharp edges of the Corbon round was digging into the coating and getting caught up.
    So I polished the ramp. It is now supper smooth. Supper smooth means it's super smooth, and so shiny you can eat off it. But, since polishing the ramp, I've still had one Corbon get stuck. (3 misfeeds out of 500 rounds isn't good, but it doesn't suggest a major problem.)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    My first reaction is to tell you to, um, stop using Corbon ammo.
    I'm not ready to send the firearm back yet. But I'm going to say goodbye to the little Corbon rounds. I love the way they shoot, but I suspect that the Corbon rounds are the problem, not the weapon. And I really like Speer GD's. I'll keep running the gun. If I see anymore failures to feed or chamber, back it goes.
    SigIsTheAnswer likes this.

If all else fails... polish the Corbon
    MMinSC and Arete like this.

The problem is the combination of the short OAL of the Cor-Bon round and its wide, relatively untapered mouth. One or the other would probably be OK, but in combination it's a show-stopper. Just switch ammo to what feeds with 100% reliability and hits where you aim.
    Nix likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    If all else fails... polish the Corbon
    OK, I have to confess. I was going to avoid mentioning it, but since you called me out, I'll cop to polishing some of the rounds. Now, none of the rounds that hung up were 'polished'; they were all factory loads from the box. But after feeling the sharp edge of the Cobon rounds--some seemed to have a fine burr!--I took some 1500 grit sandpaper to a few rounds. These rounds fed just fine, but I'm not confident that that is a reasonable answer. I agree with gasmitty: too wide, too short.

And I'm not OC enough to polish my ammo anyway. Not more than 6-8 test rounds.

I haven't used that round in mine but haven't had any problems with other HP rounds either. Me, I would just choose a different self defense round. Does that Corbon +p even burn it's powder in such a short barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    I haven't used that round in mine but haven't had any problems with other HP rounds either. Me, I would just choose a different self defense round. Does that Corbon +p even burn it's powder in such a short barrel?
    Don't know about the powder burning completely, but the round definitely leaves the barrel hotter and faster than stock 9mm. The 9mm+P ammo I've shot with the P938 just feels fantastic. And hits dead on at 25 yards.

I'd be more afraid of that Golden Saber (I'd never shoot it out of my LWC). That Corbon is yelling for a plastic cap. Yep, it's a pretty bullet. Thanks for the thread.

That Corbon has a very large ogive. I'm not surprised you are having fits with it. Some guns choke on wide-mouthed rounds like that. Send it back to Sig and if you get it back and it continues, find another good round (there are many).
    LeanHard likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links