Alternative Choice To P229

Alternative Choice To P229

This is a discussion on Alternative Choice To P229 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay. We ALL love the Sig and a lot of us swear by the Sig P229 usually in 40 but sometimes in 357 Sig. I've ...

Thread: Alternative Choice To P229

Lightbulb Alternative Choice To P229

Okay. We ALL love the Sig and a lot of us swear by the Sig P229 usually in 40 but sometimes in 357 Sig. I've fired both and do love them but my chief complaint is the weight (32oz) and the capacity (12). But now, take a look at the latest offerning from FN (also a grand old name in the gun biz):

The FNP 40: 40 S&W, 4" barrel, weight 26.7 oz, capacity 14. An added bonus is interchangeable backstraps for different size hands!

It's also less expensive than the Sig. Miggy, one of the regulars on this forum has one (might be a 9mm, tho) and LOVES it!

http://www.fnhusa.com/products/firea...019&gid=FNG001
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ExSoldier; January 15th, 2007 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Add url
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Ahem....

shhhh...

glock 23

ahem....
    -Biker

Lightbulb Ahem....

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker View Post
    Ahem....

shhhh...

glock 23

ahem....
    I had a Glock 23 and SOLD it. You can't adjust the grip on a Gl0ck. Any Glock. The BEST you can do is pay $225 and send it off to ROBAR for a "grip reduction" and HOPE that does the job. On the FN there are about three different backstraps that just pop in and out.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

True, and if the Glock doesn't fit your hand then that is correct. Most people find the grip reduction necessary on the g21 because it has the ergonomics of a 2x4. I have a 19 and luckily it is about the most perfect fit for MY hand. I do love the Sigs too, but I decided against them due to their weight. I also have a HKp2000 which has the adjustable back straps. Might be another option.
    -Biker

For me the FN is yet unproven,,

For some thing to carry other than a SIG then I would look to the S&W M&P, I like the feel and the shooting of it

But if it was me and I wanted to stay with SIG I would go with either the 239 or 225 in 9mm

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker View Post
    I also have a HKp2000 which has the adjustable back straps. Might be another option.
    Except where COST is a factor. I have heard some very good things inthe magazines on the FN and it IS an old and reliable firm! When folks that I know personally and trust to the extent that we share a live fire line together for an IDPA match start praising a gun, I pay attention.

Good gun, market is crowded

I recently handled the FNP polymer frame semiauto in a gun store and it looks good, with comfortable ergonomics. I also read one or two favorable reviews on the gun in magazines and on the web. It is priced at about $500, so it competes directly with the other polymer semiautos like Glock, S&W M&P, Walther P99, Beretta PX4, Sig Pro, etc.

Browning was selling this gun for awhile with the Browning name, but lately FNP (Belgian company) is going direct in the US with the gun. There is a lot of competition in this polymer handgun market, so FNP will have to work hard to make a success of this. But I would consider the gun if I were looking for a 9mm or .40 caliber polymer frame gun with good magazine capacity.

Not a polymer frame fan. Plus I love Sigs too much to change. I'll take a great feeling gun that I love, even though it carries a little less ammo.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I love sigs , that being said just like the old saw " one is none and two is one " I have went to less is more for ccw . Small thin and light are my watchwords now , with so far Kahr's being the winners , tho many should get at least honorable mention .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    We all love Sigs? I'll have to remind myself of that since there really is no love from me for the Sig I'm issued. But I would love to trade it for a Glock or 1911 (a Para would be nice) or even a new Kahr T-45. So mr. director if your reading this, can we please sell out sigs as I just found out there are people who do love them and want them, unlike us.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

So, how much are these FNPs selling for in the shops? This is the firs I've read of them ... haven't gotten out much lately.
    Jack

VIP Member
    We all love Sigs? I'll have to remind myself of that since there really is no love from me for the Sig I'm issued. But I would love to trade it for a Glock or 1911 (a Para would be nice) or even a new Kahr T-45. So mr. director if your reading this, can we please sell out sigs as I just found out there are people who do love them and want them, unlike us.
    Blasphemer! :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Selling in high $400 range

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    So, how much are these FNPs selling for in the shops? This is the firs I've read of them ... haven't gotten out much lately.
    I looked on Gunbroker and new FNPs in 9mm and .40 caliber are selling in the $450 to $500 range. Here is a dealer in MO selling them for $461 each:

Gunbroker auction on FNP pistol

Last edited by pogo2; January 16th, 2007 at 11:46 AM.

There's a .45 version too. Holds 14 rounds in the magazine and comes with 3 14 round magazines.
    I would like to see one in person. It looks like a nice gun but I have seen pictures of guns I thought looked nice and then held them and found them to be less than ideal.

I might see if any of my local gun shops have one in stock that I can hold.

here's a link to the .45 model on the FNH web site.:

http://www.fnhusa.com/products/firea...01&mid=FNM0062
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

XD-40 or PX4 in .40 weight.

Sponsored Links