Thoughts on RIA 9mm 3.5 inch 1911

This is a discussion on Thoughts on RIA 9mm 3.5 inch 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A coworker got a used RIA 3.5 inch 9mm 1911 and doesn't like it. Knowing I am a big gun guy he us offering me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Thoughts on RIA 9mm 3.5 inch 1911

Thoughts on RIA 9mm 3.5 inch 1911

A coworker got a used RIA 3.5 inch 9mm 1911 and doesn't like it. Knowing I am a big gun guy he us offering me first dibs. I know the RIA guns are good, I am looking for some feedback on this particular model if anyone has anything they could share. Thanks a bunch!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    My best Bud has a TAC 1911 Compact in 9mm, he loves it. I have only gotten to handle it so far, very nicely put together. One complaint we both have, the pistol has numerous sharp edges.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    My question would be why he doesn't like it. If it's due to reliability issues, pass it up. If it something intangible, like it "doesn't feel right" for him. Then I'd jump on it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

One of my co-workers has one and he likes it a lot. I've shot it once and I liked the way it felt.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    My best Bud has a TAC 1911 Compact in 9mm, he loves it. I have only gotten to handle it so far, very nicely put together. One complaint we both have, the pistol has numerous sharp edges.
    This seems to be a 1911 thing in all but upper-tier guns. I've had both Colt and SA guns that had edges you could shave with. The frame at the dust cover and the outside edge of the slide rails by the back of the slide were always the worst.
    OD* and Aceoky like this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Madcap_Magician View Post
    This seems to be a 1911 thing in all but upper-tier guns. I've had both Colt and SA guns that had edges you could shave with. The frame at the dust cover and the outside edge of the slide rails by the back of the slide were always the worst.
    I think it has to do with CNC machining being more precise, pistols built on old Bridgeport milling machines didn't suffer from this malady.
    Cuda66, OldVet, Jaeger and 1 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

RIA has excellent CS- even IF that is the case (doubtful) it would not stop "Me" from getting it IF I wanted one

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    My question would be why he doesn't like it. If it's due to reliability issues, pass it up. If it something intangible, like it "doesn't feel right" for him. Then I'd jump on it.
    ANGLICO, OD* and TRX like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

I just passed on it. The trigger felt... Weird... not sure how to explain it. An awful lot of slop and it's not original. The sights were dinged and not original either. Looked Bubba smirked to me

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Some gunsmiths offer what is called a fluff and buff for around $75 and some friends of mine said that it was worth every penny which if I am ever able to get a 1911 is the first thing I well have done.

Too bad it was a hack job...

Now you are thinking about getting a new one aren't you??? You should!

I have the officer size 1911 Citadel 9mm. That gun runs like it stole something. Bullseye accurate, negligible recoil, and just flat out fun to shoot.

I love mine.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    So did your buddy bubbafied his pistol . To bad. tell him whats wrong and offer 300 for it. You send it to RIA for anything and comes back with a trigger job too. Warranty is great and the gun smith there does custom work and builds if wanted. I have a tac fs that's got a great at home polished and tuned 3 1/2lb trigger with all stock parts and it has run fine with ever ammo and reload tried. Personally I care less about how one looks when the price is right specially when they out shoot costlier pistols .

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    So did your buddy bubbafied his pistol . To bad. tell him whats wrong and offer 300 for it. You send it to RIA for anything and comes back with a trigger job too. Warranty is great and the gun smith there does custom work and builds if wanted. I have a tac fs that's got a great at home polished and tuned 3 1/2lb trigger with all stock parts and it has run fine with ever ammo and reload tried. Personally I care less about how one looks when the price is right specially when they out shoot costlier pistols .
    I highly doubt he did anything to it. He got it second hand but is not 1911 knowledgable. He just wanted to try one. I offered him 200 bucks for it since I would have to put money into it but he had significantly more invested.
    into it. I told and showed him what I felt was wrong and he agreed but it wasnt meant to be.
    ~Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by RebelSoul View Post
    Too bad it was a hack job...

Now you are thinking about getting a new one aren't you??? You should!

I have the officer size 1911 Citadel 9mm. That gun runs like it stole something. Bullseye accurate, negligible recoil, and just flat out fun to shoot.

I love mine.
    Indeed I am !!! It felt pretty nice in hand and I have become a real sucker for anything 1911.... but I think i want an EMP more lol.
    Aceoky likes this.
    ~Daniel Webster

Bummer. Too bad.
    Another better 1911 will roll into your life soon.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Thoughts on RIA 9mm 3.5 inch 1911?

Daddy like!
    Taurahe, Aceoky, OD* and 1 others like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links