Possible sr1911 malfunction..... Need help

This is a discussion on Possible sr1911 malfunction..... Need help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok not sure what us going on. When I lock the slide back manually and then release it with the slide release, the hammer is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Possible sr1911 malfunction..... Need help

Ok not sure what us going on. When I lock the slide back manually and then release it with the slide release, the hammer is falling to half cock. It does not do it all the time but is reasonably regular. I have not been able to try and duplicate while firing, but it does not seem to do it while hand cycling rounds, only when the slide release is used. I have not tinkered with anything other than standard disassembly but I did get it used. Any thoughts?

I am thinking this is a sear engagement problem but I am not a Smith nor a tinkerer

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Are you dropping slide on empty chamber using just the slide stop? Not something I would recommend on any 1911,but I'm no gunsmith either. You may want to do a full teardown and clean everything,looking for any wear/damage to the hammer/sear engagement points. If all looks well and problem still persists I would definitely call ruger. They will take care of you.
    LeanHard and msgt/ret like this.

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    I think you're thinking correctly, sear issue. I would definately send it back to Ruger for repair. This could lead to a dangerous situation if left unchecked. These things happen, don't let it shake your confidence in your 1911. Ruger will make it good for free. Their Customer Servive is great to deal with.
    msgt/ret, Ghost1958 and RebelSoul like this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Here's a video that shows the operation, including sear engagement. Maybe it will help visualize what could be happening.

I concur. When the slide 'follows', that's nature's way of saying you have near zero sear engagement. Could be caused by a number of things, but it needs to get checked out.

I notice the SR1911 has an adjustable overtravel screw on the trigger. Improper adjustment by itself should cause the slide to follow, but it could cause sear damage leading to the problem condition. Here's a brief description: The 1911: Adjusting Overtravel - Shotgun News
    OD* likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    I will go with a sear engagement problem also, give Ruger customer service a call. I have only dealt with Ruger customer service a couple of times but they are top notch and will make it right.
    mkh and Ghost1958 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Yep, sear engagement. The slide dropping is jarring it enough to slip off the hammer spurs. Catching at half-cock is a safety feature, but unfortunately catching at half-cock enough times can also damage the sear face.
    What is your trigger pull weight? If it's too light a simple fix could be adding more tension to the left leaf of the sear spring. That is the leaf that puts pressure on the sear and holds it in place. It should really be detail stripped and the whole thing checked out.
    OD* likes this.

I am going to call ruger and ask for a shipping label. I don't monkey with I have not been properly taught to monkey with, my 1911's included. It won't shake my faith I just want to get it fixed

”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by cn262 View Post
    Here's a video that shows the operation, including sear engagement. Maybe it will help visualize what could be happening
    wish I hadn't watched that... makes me more fearful that there is barely a little lip of metal holding that hammer from falling...

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Yep, sear engagement. The slide dropping is jarring it enough to slip off the hammer spurs. Catching at half-cock is a safety feature, but unfortunately catching at half-cock enough times can also damage the sear face.
    What is your trigger pull weight? If it's too light a simple fix could be adding more tension to the left leaf of the sear spring. That is the leaf that puts pressure on the sear and holds it in place. It should really be detail stripped and the whole thing checked out.
    The trigger pull weight is prob around 5 lbs or so. The trigger is Def heavier than my custom springer

~Daniel Webster

Administrator
    Your hammer is jumping the sear & really it would be nice if your trigger pull weight was a pound or so lighter.

If you don't want to send your firearm in to here are some options.

1.) Have a local gun smith that is really familiar with the 1911 give you a trigger job.
    With the precision specialty hammer and sear jigs available these days it is not a job that any good gun smith could mess up.

2.) Purchase & drop in a Harrison Design mated Hammer, Sear, & disconnector ignition set from Brownell's (Yes, Expensive parts ) but, you get what you pay for with regard to Uber High Quality parts and as a huge plus....if you install the parts and it does not solve your problem - you can return the set to Brownell's and they will fully refund you - no questions asked.

3.) If the problem is NOT with the hammer sear-cut being too shallow and the problem is that the hammer & sear are just not quite mating correctly - you can try jacking the hammer a few times.
    You can do that by fully cocking the hammer and wedging anything that will not mar your parts (something brass or aluminum) between the cocked hammer and the grip safety.
    Then apply a bit of upward force to the cocked hammer and simultaneously pull the trigger (which will then seem VERY difficult to pull)
    Take it EASY & don't kill it with upward pressure!
    Doing that will force the sear to disengage from the hammer under leveraged pressure.
    That will sometimes solve the problem of "hammer follow through" and (as a plus) give you a slightly crisper trigger release that is also a bit lighter.
    But, you need to not overdo it and it is something that you do not want to do with a M.I.M. hammer & sear.

Harrison Design Hammer, Sear, & Disconnector
    1911 IGNITION SET WITH COMMANDER HAMMER | Brownells
    OD* likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I am going to call ruger and ask for a shipping label. I don't monkey with I have not been properly taught to monkey with, my 1911's included. It won't shake my faith I just want to get it fixed

Probably your best bet. Starting to tinker with 1911's will have you ordering something new from Brownells every week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    The trigger pull weight is prob around 5 lbs or so. The trigger is Def heavier than my custom springer

Well it probably isn't something as simple as the sear spring being too light then.

Let us know what they find.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Probably your best bet. Starting to tinker with 1911's will have you ordering something new from Brownells every week or so.

Well it probably isn't something as simple as the sear spring being too light then.

Let us know what they find.
    I honestly have never been comfortable disassembling firearms beyond basic maintenance. It seems to be unmolested so I think it is best to let ruger have a look at it

Fitch likes this.
    ~Daniel Webster

OD*
    I have forgotten Taurahe, was this pistol bought used?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Definitely send it back to Ruger. There are options, but that is the safest one.

I've sent 3 guns to them for repair and every one of them has exceeded expectations when it was returned.

Fitch
    OD* likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links