380 or 45

380 or 45

This is a discussion on 380 or 45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, just wanted to get some opinions. Would you rather pocket carry a .380 with 6 or 7 shots or a derringer with 2 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 380 or 45

Talking 380 or 45

Hey all,

just wanted to get some opinions. Would you rather pocket carry a .380 with 6 or 7 shots or a derringer with 2 shots of .45 I'm looking for something small to pocket carry while I'm at work....

(life's a play and were all in the cast.)

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Mr bangbang , for myself i choose to pocket carry a 9mm for the most part . That being said faced with the choice you offer it would be a p3at in my pocket . I like having a fiew more rounds to make noise with while getting the hell out of where i shouldnt have been anyway .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Neither of the 2 listed above

+1 on the P3AT. It is also possible to carry a spare mag without a lot of trouble.

Why neither bud ......... what would you carry?

VIP Member
    I'm a fan of the Bersa Thunder 380. That will go in my pocket. As far as the derringer, have you ever held and shot one. I haven't shot many but the one I have shot, The trigger is so stiff by the time you have pulled the trigger far enough back to engage a shot, you are off target. Now at combat range I know you are not going to be so off target not to hit COM but still I do not want to fight my weapon.

Senior Moderator
    I'd go for the .380 or a snubbie with 5

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I definately would not carry a derringer as a pocket gun. The design has been known to go boom when you don't want it too. Given your two choices, that would leave me with .380, though their are sufficient 9mm and .40 s&w pocket gun options out there. Even a small 5 shot .38 revolver would be better.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I believe i would take a .45, but not the derringer. it would be a S&W or Taurus Snubbie.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

Thanks for the advice.......guess I'll just stick with my 9mm xd in a iwb for now........

I have to log in as neither also.

The lowest caliber I feel comfy with is 38 special or 9mil.

I carry my S&W 640 .357 mag in my front strong side pocket and usually forget its there.

If the SHTF, I have 5 shots of Corbon 110grain 38 special +p in the gun and two Bianchi speed strips with 12 more. With a little practice, I have gotten fairly quick at reloads.

However, given a choice between 2 rounds of 45 and 6 or 7 of 380, I would have to go with the 380.

But I guess a .22 in your pocket beats a .45 left at home.

kel-tec
    pocket 32 would be my choice

Lead Moderator
    .380 personally. Lots of folks carry the P3at. Most seem resonably happy with its reliability.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'd go with the P-3AT. I'm looking at picking one up here in, oh, the next week or so, along with a wallet holster from www.pocketholsters.com.

Might also consider the NAA Guardian or, if you can find one, a Rohrbaugh R9 in 9mm.

Personally, my pocket gun is a S&W 642 in .38spl. +P. I can carry that in any pocket (front, back or coat), ankle holster or on the belt and pack a speedstrip or two in my front change pocket (or a couple speedloaders in a jacket pocket). It's not as effective as my 1911 but it offers a nice size advantage when something more concealable or lighter in weight is needed.
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links