Shakey hands and shooting pistols.

This is a discussion on Shakey hands and shooting pistols. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure where to put this. I have a tremor disorder that is progressing more severely as I age (quickly). I have come to the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Shakey hands and shooting pistols.

Not sure where to put this. I have a tremor disorder that is progressing more severely as I age (quickly). I have come to the realization that thumb safeties are no longer an option for me... but that's not the point of my post. Does anybody battle tremors or shaking hands and how to practice your self defensive shooting with this condition. My edcs include a g26 and a ruger LCP. Thanks
    Phaedrus likes this.

I have raynaud's syndrome ,due to several chronic illness's .My hands don't shake but in cool weather ..my fingers and hands get very cold and painful and swell..I had to quit hunting ..I loss have loss feeling in my finger tips..I have found Glocks seem to work best for me...But in cold weather I have found racking the slide is more difficult ..and I may start carrying a revolver more often..
    Phaedrus likes this.

Sorry to hear of your health issues. I don't have much specific advice, I guess, beyond training to use two hands. Hopefully someone can offer better advice.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Sponsor
    My wife has a sever epilepsy disorder and it cause her hands to be shaky most of the time, but she does pretty good with both hands but she has had to practice a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by OneLessPrius View Post
    Not sure where to put this. I have a tremor disorder that is progressing more severely as I age (quickly). I have come to the realization that thumb safeties are no longer an option for me... but that's not the point of my post. Does anybody battle tremors or shaking hands and how to practice your self defensive shooting with this condition. My edcs include a g26 and a ruger LCP. Thanks
    Most folks if caught in a position to have to use their weapon for SD hands will be shaking also. Heck folks run laps etc to try to get shaky hands before training.

If you can score decent Com hits on a human size target at average SD distance your probably ahead of 60 percent of folks that carry a gun everyday but never shoot it.

You might try going to a slightly bigger pistol than the 26. The shorter pistol will be a bit less forgiving of a shaky aim the farther back you get in distance than say a g 19 or some such . Might help some.
    Oldpsufan and Old Sarge like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    Many people have disabilities and chronic illnesses that prevent them from doing everything they want. The older a person gets, one's body begins to give out. It might be stiff joints, shakiness, changes in vision or any number of problems that naturally make most people less athletic than they once were 10, 20 or 40 years younger.

At 20-35 years of age, I felt I could defend myself pretty good with my fists even then knowing there would always be someone bigger and bad that would be able to kick my butt.

Back then I didn't carry a gun and never really felt the need. Over the years, events changed. My world became less safe and guns became an acceptable means for self defense. I purchased several pistols, a few revolvers, some rifles and a few shot guns. I trained with all of them but with poor eye sight knew I would never be top gun with any pistol or revolver.

Sure, I still carry a 9mm or a .45 with me most of the time for some sense of SD but my weapon of choice these days for the home and most times the SUV or Truck is a 18" 12ga Pump with 00 Buck. Just point and blast away up to 8 times if needed. More stopping power than any pistol and a better chance of hitting my target even in the dark. Probably wouldn't even need to upholster the pistol.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I have never shot with anyone who has that issue but have you tried really bearing down on the gun? Most all trainers now recommend a very tight grip on the gun to the point that your left hand (right handed shooter) aches after shooting a couple of hundred rounds.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    I know what you are talking about although my hands are steady, racking the slide is difficult because my left hand has only a thumb and three one inch stubs. Plus I have arthritis and I'm older than dirt. I simply rack the slide at home with the help of a solid object, and lock it up. My Shield 9 has a safety that is very easy to reach and functions well. As for re racking that is not a problem unless there is a jam, in which case the slide is far enough back that I can grip it. My racking problem is only because of the pinch grip needed originally.
    “A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
    ― Edward R. Murrow
    After all, when the Supreme Court twice comes within one vote of ruling that the Second Amendment of the U.S. Bill of Rights isn’t an individual right, Americans have a right to be concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    I have never shot with anyone who has that issue but have you tried really bearing down on the gun? Most all trainers now recommend a very tight grip on the gun to the point that your left hand (right handed shooter) aches after shooting a couple of hundred rounds.
    Yeah, the harder I try to grab something or the more I try to stay still the more I shake. My shots are less precisely placed and more tacticallyrealistic. Body shots at 10 yards are no problem, but if I ever have to do a mag change in a SD situation I'm screwed.

Read THIS!

Stay away from: coffee, alcohol, and as much white sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and, 'enriched' (white) flour as you possibly can. I hold a pistol firmly; but I don't squeeze it any harder than I need to in order to control the muzzle and recoil impulse.

GO BACK TO THE BASICS! Try to control your breathing, and time your sight picture and trigger press to the rhythm of your breath. Remember, even when you were in your 20's you weren't able to hold a pistol perfectly still when you fired; you learned how to adjust then; and you can do it, again, now too.

True, getting old is a, 'female dog'; but it's the price you pay for beating the odds, and continuing to exist. (Think how much smarter you are now than before, too!)
    Phaedrus and NONAME762 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    The problem with that is that, if what he has is "Essential Tremor," (which I also have), then the tremor is exacerbated by placing a load on the affected muscles. I'm experimenting with holding with both hands but actually pulling the trigger with my left hand. The long trigger pull with my cm9 doesn't help, either...
    dangerranger likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TIDEHSV View Post
    The problem with that is that, if what he has is "Essential Tremor," (which I also have), then the tremor is exacerbated by placing a load on the affected muscles. I'm experimenting with holding with both hands but actually pulling the trigger with my left hand. The long trigger pull with my cm9 doesn't help, either...
    If that's the problem then a relaxed shooting hand may be the key. What happens if you put your right hand[shooting hand] in the crook of your left elbow and with your left hand grab some clothing near your right sleeve. Then while maintaining a proper shooting grip on the gun let gravity hold your shooting arm steady ? it might be worth a try. You also may find revolvers in your future. DR

One of my weekly shooting group has "the shakes" as he calls them; a result of a stroke. He has gone to all steel 1911's, both Commander and full size. He swears that the extra weight helps steady his aim. I know my shakiness has me practicing point shooting now. Point shooting appears to work quite well even if you do have a steadiness problem. You don't have to concentrate on sight alignment so the shaking is not as much of a problem. Keep shooting while trying different approaches and see if you can find a method that will make you comfortable with the results. Most of us will face the shakiness problem as we advance in age.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    If that's the problem then a relaxed shooting hand may be the key. What happens if you put your right hand[shooting hand] in the crook of your left elbow and with your left hand grab some clothing near your right sleeve. Then while maintaining a proper shooting grip on the gun let gravity hold your shooting arm steady ? it might be worth a try. You also may find revolvers in your future. DR
    I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't think it would help either the OP or me. The effort of the long trigger pull starts up the tremor. The only thing which would help would be the maligned "hair trigger." Problem is, of course, pocketing a DAO with a hair trigger...

Quote Originally Posted by denclaste View Post
    One of my weekly shooting group has "the shakes" as he calls them; a result of a stroke. He has gone to all steel 1911's, both Commander and full size. He swears that the extra weight helps steady his aim. I know my shakiness has me practicing point shooting now. Point shooting appears to work quite well even if you do have a steadiness problem. You don't have to concentrate on sight alignment so the shaking is not as much of a problem. Keep shooting while trying different approaches and see if you can find a method that will make you comfortable with the results. Most of us will face the shakiness problem as we advance in age.
    If one has "ET," it does definitely get worse with age. Mine certainly has. A few meds help, like diazepam and beta blockers, both in light doses, of course...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links