Springer ultra compact

Springer ultra compact

This is a discussion on Springer ultra compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found out today that a co-worker of mine has owned a Springfield Ultra Compact for nearly a decade, and has never loaded or fired ...

Thread: Springer ultra compact

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar

Springer ultra compact

I found out today that a co-worker of mine has owned a Springfield Ultra Compact for nearly a decade, and has never loaded or fired the gun. I think that he will be willing to part with it for a very reasonable amount, but I wanted to see what the consensus was on what I should look for when I tear it down to clean/lube before I test fire. After all, it's been sitting for so long. I'm sure that it will only need a cursory oiling to function, but I want to make 100% sure it's functional before I purchase it. I've got very little experience with 1911-style pistols, even given as much as I lust over them. I am trained as a machinist though, and I know a good fit and tight tolerances when I see them. Is there anything in particular I need to look out for, either good or bad? Thanks in advance!

Just the normal stuff rough tooling marks etc super shiney spots

After that long I would be very concerned about corrosion and would want a complete disassembly for careful inspection and treatment. Gummed up old lubricant might also be a concern.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I would completely disassemble the gun and give it a good cleaning and may even have a gunsmith to check it out first. Steve48

Bring a bore sight to check the barrel, take a look at the barrel and exterior; If it looks good, buy it. Regards, Richard

Yes, I would definatly strip her down to her bare nothings (the complete disassembly, not a field strip). Look over each part for corrosion and rust, when everything looks good, build her back up and have fun. Since your experiance with 1911's are limited, you can find info on complete disassembly online, or you can ask us...

Did the coworker buy it new? Look at the box ,papers, and ask to see the ammo. If all these hints tell you a consistent story send me the name and address and phone number and I 'll look closer at it for you. Does that help you any ?
    I used to feel better about buying a gun some one else wanted. Now I only buy what I want. From your description I want the gun if you dont.
    Now on the other hand back when I had to save up a long time to buy anoother gun it was almost anti-climatic when I finally brought it home. Months of dreaming of the still unfired best gun ever built and then after shooting it realize it is just another of many guns and the fun of the search for the next "ULTIMATE" gun was on.

Not helping ?
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

Sponsored Links