Defensive Carry banner

Truck Gun,...

4K views 35 replies 26 participants last post by  TecRsq 
#1 ·
Hey y'all. I'm looking for suggestions for a new "Truck Gun" a dependable gun I can keep with me in my truck at all times. It doesn't have to be concealable. I'll be locking it away in my center console when not driving. I'd appreciate any ideas y'all might have. Thanks ahead of time.

#4 ·
Well for a pistol I would want a 4" .357 (Ruger GP-100 or like). If an auto than a Berretta 92 or other full size.

Now what I have been thinking about for myself is my own verison of Mossbergs Just In Case kit.

Mossberg 500 20" barrel 8 shot tube with a KnoxxCop stock, in a re-sealable PVC pipe (used son-bouy case whatever), with blanket matches, siphon hose, ammo etc.....

Whatever I could fit in there that I might need and still be able to fit the whole package behind the truck seat or with the spare tire in the station wagon.

Of course this is still a few years off I've got to get a few more guns first.

#6 ·
You might even want to try a hi-point. Cheap, ugly, and from what I hear, mostly reliable. They are also backed by a lifetime warranty, and if someone breaks into your truck and steals it, I wouldn't be nearly as upset as I would if someone had stolen a Glock or ruger or something similarly priced.

#7 ·
Thanks. All very good suggestions. I've considered a Glock, Beretta 92 (or 96) or I've seen that a local gun shop is the official outfitter for the Police Department. The PD is upgrading to Gen.3 and the gun shop has a good amount of pre-owned police model 2nd Generation Glock 22 (40 S&W) ranging in price from
$325. - $375. Depending on the wear and tear they've been put through. Included in the price are Night sights already fitted to the pistol and 3 - 15 round magazines. I realize that they are pre-owned and that someone issued the gun has already qualified with it on a monthly basis but the gun shop offers a lifetime warranty on them so, it sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Anyone want to chime in on that option?

http://www.drurysguns.com/data/FxHTML/item.php?idx=910001

#31 ·
If thesen guns have been gone through by the armorer I would jump at a reasonably priced Glock. Parts are easy to exchange. Heck, you may decide that the used Glock should be your carry gun and then decide that you need another...

#8 ·
You know, there are dozens that will do what you need. FWIW, though, I'll let you in on some of my thinking (again, it's worth what you paid for it).

I'm thinking as short a barrel as possible, in as big a caliber as possible with as high a capacity as possible.

The whys follow:

A big gun, even a big handgun, is hard to maneuver worth squat in a pickup cab, thus the short barrel. A big caliber, 'cause you are talking about having to shoot through glass or the door (I'm thinking carjacking scenario or a riot situation with a bunch of thugs trying to break into/tip over your ride).

The hi cap is pretty self-explanatory, or keep a few mags with it, I guess. The more bullets ya got, the more BG's ya kin shoot....

But within those parameters, there are dozens.

What's the short Glock 10mm, anyway? That sounds like a good'un for that application.

#9 ·
Cowboy,

why not just use your carry gun (still in its holster) for this role?

If you do end up keeping something in the console, I hope the trigger guard will be protected from loose objects. You may also want to rig up a cheap holster to keep it consistently positioned and oriented.

#10 ·
gunmetal,
I'd like to use my holstered carry gun but it's in a IWB tuckable holster. That would require me untucking and tucking in my shirt throughout the course of the day. The last thing I want to do is get to a parking lot and draw attention to myself and my CCW. I'll probably set it up with a holster that can be moved around easily.

#11 ·
randytulsa2;
I agree with your thinking and adding to that I also considered a Ruger SP101 (.357 MAG.) it's a small, powerfull package that would be effective in a carjacking scenario. IMO I would think that it could buy me a bit of time to get to my primary CCW and by that point i'd like to think that I would already be looking for an escape route.
Any thoughts?

#14 ·
Yeah, I think an SP101 would do quite well for what you're wanting it to do...they're built like tanks, last forever and are as reliable as the sun (a host of others would, too). Might try a 158 or 180-grain bullet in it for the extra penetration they provide re: doors and windshield/window glass.

My own "plan" (such as it is) is either to make a like a tree and leave or use the car gun to get to the rifle in the bed of the truck (just inside the camper shell, ready to be snatched up through that little window).

#17 ·
I'm seriously considering the new Ruger model that uses 45 Colt and 419 shotgun shells. I saw it in an ad on Personal Defense tv show. I know that 410 isn't normally considered a very good defensive round, but at the distance to the car/truck window, it could be devastating. The commercial certainly made an impression.

#19 ·
I've been thinking about Taurus's judge. A couple of derringers, I wouldn't use combat tupperware for a pickup gun just, but that's because I dont trust the poly frame in -40 F weather.

If I'm traveling I'll throw the Winchester behind the seat

#20 ·
I would concider one of the Ruger p series pistols (depending on what caliber and features you want). My experience with them is yes they are big guns but they are as reliable as a semi auto can be acurate and reletively inexpensive.

#23 ·
When I think of a 'truck gun', I think of a long gun, not a handgun. My reasoning is that since I carry a handgun on me, my truck gun should be a long arm in some sort of rifle caliber. My usual truck gun is a Winchester 94 in 30-30.

Some other truck guns I would consider would be something like an AR15 or perhaps an SKS or even an old Mosin.

BUT...since this thread seems to aimed at handguns, I would go with a revolver......something in .357 or even .44, something that has a little more energy behind it than most semi-autos. Also with at least a 4 inch barrel to get the most out of the cartridge in terms of energy & accuracy.

#24 ·
In the console between my seats, lives a Rossi 461 .357 that I got new a couple months ago from someone in a pawn shop that needed money 3 days after they bought it. It resides there with 2 speedloaders and 2 speedstrips, loaded with Winchester .357 110 gr JHP.:blink:

#26 ·
All good suggestions.
I'm glad I started this thread. Like I mentioned before I wouldn't be considering this but the way I conceal is IWB and tucked (at 4 o'clock). So getting to my CCW quickly is something I'm not 100 % comfortable with, especially in a car jacking scenario. I want something that has a punch to it and can shoot through a door if need be. That's why I'm looking for a truck gun. I'm leaning towards a Ruger SP101 with some extra speedloaders close by. If the SHTF (in addition to my CCW and BUG) I do have a Winchester 30-30 and a scattergun behind the back seats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.