Truck Gun,...

This is a discussion on Truck Gun,... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey y'all. I'm looking for suggestions for a new "Truck Gun" a dependable gun I can keep with me in my truck at all times. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Truck Gun,...

Truck Gun,...

Hey y'all. I'm looking for suggestions for a new "Truck Gun" a dependable gun I can keep with me in my truck at all times. It doesn't have to be concealable. I'll be locking it away in my center console when not driving. I'd appreciate any ideas y'all might have. Thanks ahead of time.

2. Remove Ads

Glock makes a good beater

+1 On the Glock. I have a G23 that lives in my car and my night stand.

Senior Moderator
    Well for a pistol I would want a 4" .357 (Ruger GP-100 or like). If an auto than a Berretta 92 or other full size.

Now what I have been thinking about for myself is my own verison of Mossbergs Just In Case kit.

Mossberg 500 20" barrel 8 shot tube with a KnoxxCop stock, in a re-sealable PVC pipe (used son-bouy case whatever), with blanket matches, siphon hose, ammo etc.....

Whatever I could fit in there that I might need and still be able to fit the whole package behind the truck seat or with the spare tire in the station wagon.

Of course this is still a few years off I've got to get a few more guns first.

whw
    I would recommend a used Ruger Security or Service Six. They can be had for around $200 and they will last longer than any of us.

You might even want to try a hi-point. Cheap, ugly, and from what I hear, mostly reliable. They are also backed by a lifetime warranty, and if someone breaks into your truck and steals it, I wouldn't be nearly as upset as I would if someone had stolen a Glock or ruger or something similarly priced.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Thanks. All very good suggestions. I've considered a Glock, Beretta 92 (or 96) or I've seen that a local gun shop is the official outfitter for the Police Department. The PD is upgrading to Gen.3 and the gun shop has a good amount of pre-owned police model 2nd Generation Glock 22 (40 S&W) ranging in price from
    $325. - $375. Depending on the wear and tear they've been put through. Included in the price are Night sights already fitted to the pistol and 3 - 15 round magazines. I realize that they are pre-owned and that someone issued the gun has already qualified with it on a monthly basis but the gun shop offers a lifetime warranty on them so, it sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Anyone want to chime in on that option?

http://www.drurysguns.com/data/FxHTM...php?idx=910001

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    You know, there are dozens that will do what you need. FWIW, though, I'll let you in on some of my thinking (again, it's worth what you paid for it).

I'm thinking as short a barrel as possible, in as big a caliber as possible with as high a capacity as possible.

The whys follow:

A big gun, even a big handgun, is hard to maneuver worth squat in a pickup cab, thus the short barrel. A big caliber, 'cause you are talking about having to shoot through glass or the door (I'm thinking carjacking scenario or a riot situation with a bunch of thugs trying to break into/tip over your ride).

The hi cap is pretty self-explanatory, or keep a few mags with it, I guess. The more bullets ya got, the more BG's ya kin shoot....

But within those parameters, there are dozens.

What's the short Glock 10mm, anyway? That sounds like a good'un for that application.

Cowboy,

why not just use your carry gun (still in its holster) for this role?

If you do end up keeping something in the console, I hope the trigger guard will be protected from loose objects. You may also want to rig up a cheap holster to keep it consistently positioned and oriented.

gunmetal,
    I'd like to use my holstered carry gun but it's in a IWB tuckable holster. That would require me untucking and tucking in my shirt throughout the course of the day. The last thing I want to do is get to a parking lot and draw attention to myself and my CCW. I'll probably set it up with a holster that can be moved around easily.

randytulsa2;
    I agree with your thinking and adding to that I also considered a Ruger SP101 (.357 MAG.) it's a small, powerfull package that would be effective in a carjacking scenario. IMO I would think that it could buy me a bit of time to get to my primary CCW and by that point i'd like to think that I would already be looking for an escape route.
    Any thoughts?

That's a neat looking holster. I like the thumbreak feature.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Yeah, I think an SP101 would do quite well for what you're wanting it to do...they're built like tanks, last forever and are as reliable as the sun (a host of others would, too). Might try a 158 or 180-grain bullet in it for the extra penetration they provide re: doors and windshield/window glass.

My own "plan" (such as it is) is either to make a like a tree and leave or use the car gun to get to the rifle in the bed of the truck (just inside the camper shell, ready to be snatched up through that little window).

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    doors and windshield/window glass
    In particular, Cor-Bon DPX is showing great promise with effectively penetrating "hard" barriers and then still expanding once it hits the soft target. Gold Dot does pretty well here, too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links