Which makes Better sense? - XD or Glock

This is a discussion on Which makes Better sense? - XD or Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to puchase a new concealed carry pistol. I had pretty much had my mind set on the Glock 23. I was thinking ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which makes Better sense? - XD or Glock

me [OP]

Which makes Better sense? - XD or Glock

I am looking to puchase a new concealed carry pistol. I had pretty much had my mind set on the Glock 23. I was thinking about the 23 because my father (whom I still live with) has a 27, and I like the feel but want the longer grip with out adding extentions plus i like the extra rounds.
    Recently somone had brought the XD line back to my mind. I am looking for a .40 caliber but I would like something in the size range of the G23. Does the XD have a gun that is about that size?
    Would it make sence for me to pick up an XD when there is currently another glock around? I am not sure why the XD series is holding my mind since it was brought back to my mind.
    Can someone help me by compairing the two designs. I have a good bit of time before i will be ready to buy them so I am in no rush.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Remove Ads

I'd suggest a visit to a gun shop where you can handle both the XD and the Glock. They have different grip angles, and only you can determine which feels best.

I think once you do that, you'll have an easy time making your choice.

Good luck!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

I agree.

I was in exactly the same place as you are now. Looking the Glock, I had all but made up my mind I was going to get the Glock.

I went to the Store (BPS) and had the guy let me hold the Glock 23. HMMM, something didn't feel right. My little finger was only about 1/2 on the pistol grip (no magazine). I didn't really like the little ridges on the grip either.

One shelf down and two guns to the left was the SA XD.40. I had the guy let me hold that one and what do you know, It felt like it was molded for my hand. The grip felt like baby bear porridge (just right).
    The pistol seemed like an extension of my arm when I brought it up to look down the sights I got a perfect sight alignment with zero fiddling around. I filled out my papers waited my 10 days and I now own an XD.

After about 50 rounds of feeling out the pistol. I am consistenly putting 1.5 to 2" groups of five rounds into 9" paper plates at 21 feet using 2 hand un-supported isoseles stances. I have put about 500 rounds through the pistol with no problems.

I am working my way through the NRA qualification program and then I will be looking for a FOF or combat school.

Even clean up is easy, and I have had no finish problems.

5 star pistol in my opinion.

Thanks
    MikeV

jimmy hit it i thing the service size xd is close in size to the 23 but grip angle is different

I highly recommend the 23, it is my daily carry gun. I have the Glock +2 floor plates on the mags so 16 rounds of .40 should get the job done. This gun is easy to conceal and very lightweight compared to the fire power. I carry mine is a Bianchi Carry Loc that I also recommend. With all Glock pistols I use the Hogue Grip Al but I have the early models with no rail grooves. I have never had one failure of any kind.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

You have to hold each to decide. Personally, I would go with the XD, but that's because the grip angle on the Glock is akward to me. They are both fine weapons, however.

Just to throw another variable into the equation ... have you considered the XD-45 Compact? Long slide, small grip, easily concealable, and it's a .45 ...
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

me [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by plblark View Post
    Just to throw another variable into the equation ... have you considered the XD-45 Compact? Long slide, small grip, easily concealable, and it's a .45 ...
    I am not quite sure why i am not thinking the .45. It has only slightly crossed my mind. I was leaning toward the .40 because that is what is already readily available to me and a size I know I am already comfortable with having shot it before. I have not had the opportunity yet to have shot a .45 becuase my father has always been a revolver guy (just got his first pistol - Glock 27) and I do not believe my uncle who turned me on to pistols has a .45. My uncle gave me the advise to find a large and small caliber you are comfortable with and stay there (with some exceptions) for ease of ammo purchase. His calibers are .380 and .40 (with a .32 bug thrown in there) so those are the pistol calibers I have shot. How heavy is the recoil of a .45 of the XD compact to say that of a Smith and Wesson Sigma SW40VE? That is my only polimer refference for .40 as of yet, I did not get to fire the G27 before leaving to return to college.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    I am not quite sure why i am not thinking the .45. It has only slightly crossed my mind. I was leaning toward the .40 because that is what is already readily available to me and a size I know I am already comfortable with having shot it before. I have not had the opportunity yet to have shot a .45 becuase my father has always been a revolver guy (just got his first pistol - Glock 27) and I do not believe my uncle who turned me on to pistols has a .45. My uncle gave me the advise to find a large and small caliber you are comfortable with and stay there (with some exceptions) for ease of ammo purchase. His calibers are .380 and .40 (with a .32 bug thrown in there) so those are the pistol calibers I have shot. How heavy is the recoil of a .45 of the XD compact to say that of a Smith and Wesson Sigma SW40VE? That is my only polimer refference for .40 as of yet, I did not get to fire the G27 before leaving to return to college.

Mark
    I'm personally of the opinion that 90% of the recoil is between your ears. That is, if you think it's going to be stout, cause muzzle flip, etc... then it will.

The .45 is a bit stouter than a .40 in general but I like the feel of it. I generally get minutely faster followup with a .40 than a .45 but my comparison is between a 1911a1 and a Beretta 92FS so it's not a one to one comparison. I'm personally fond of the .40 and the .45 and if I had to standardize I'd go .40.

The thing I liked about the XD45 Compact was the short grip, long slide. Mich like a Glock 19. XD also has magazine sleeves which make the grip full length.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Lead Moderator
    As for differnce in recoil, some feel the recoil is less of a flip with the .45 ACP over the .40 S&W. I have not shot same gun , different calibers, but seems the smaller the gun the more felt recoil no matter the caliber.
    If you shoot with someone else frequently, same caliber might be a better choice, due to sharing ammo. No mistakes in loading the wrong ammo.
    Like others have said, either gun should work, just depends on what you like best.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    To me, the .40 is stout recoil but it's "snappyer" if that's a word

The .45 is more of a "push" or "thump" feel to it. I can get back on target equally well with either but prefer the feel of the .45. I have shot .40's in glocks and found the polymer weapons to be very snappy and stout.

I don't know if I could standardize. I suppose I'm close by ending up with a .380, .38, 9mm and .45. I don't presently own any .40's

Good luck with your choice!
    Gideon

me [OP]
    I do not know if I will Standardize and if I do I have not yet purchased a large caliber. What I am looking for is a larger caliber daily carry weapon. These 2 are by no means the limits, If anyone has one that they would like to suggest I will deffinatly look at them.
    So you can better recommend other weapons here is some info on me. I am 22 (as of today) 5'11" and 220 lbs. my budget for my next gun is $500-$600. I am looking for a gun of .40 or higher that can except a laser sight, of the laser max or Crimson trace style (I do not want to have one rail mounted). Lastly I try to hold a minimum of a 2 year rule on new guns.

Please feel free to give me others to look at. I have heard the local indoor range is now open again (after a fire) so I should be able to try out different suggestions. I thank you all for your help.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Well, first of all, if your as of today comment means today is your birthday, then Happy Birthday.

One thing that you need to consider is what type of action you like for a pistol, by your primary choices being a Glock and XD, I assume that you prefer double action only pistols. A single action would be like a 1911, and a DA/SA would be some of the Sig models. I am a fan of 1911's myself, they are rather slim and easy for me to conceal, and I like .45's. If you wanted to look at those, Springfield Armory, or Kimber would be some brands to look at, possibly used on Kimber's.

Glock's don't appeal to me, the grip just doesn't feel right, but I have shot XD's and like them. Either one would be a fine pistol, it all depends on which you shoot better. If your indoor range rents guns, try to shoot both, if they don't rent, try to find shooters at the range who have both, and ask them to shoot a couple rounds, most will be happy to oblige. If concealment is an issue you are worried about, it depends on body shape. If your shoulders are bigger than your waist, with a good holster/belt rig, you can hide a bazooka under a t-shirt.

One thing to remember is that whatever you get, you need to save some of your budget for a good rig to carry your pistol in. Don't go and spend all your money on a pistol and then put it in the cheapest holster you can buy.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Happy belated birthday! As everyone has already said, both the XD and Glock are excellent weapons so it'll just depend on which one fits you more naturally.

I'll second the suggestion for a good holster and a real gunbelt. I don't care how thick it feels, no clothing store belt will support a weapon like a true function-built gun belt will. It may seem like a large outlay of cash at first but my last gunbelt lasted me 7 years before it started showing it's age ... and it's STILL a usable belt, it just looks a little rough and I needed to accomodate my expanding waistline a little more.

Good luck shopping, let us know what'cha get!
    Jack

I agree with the above. I have the Glock 23 and love it although I have never shot the XD. Go to your nearest range and rent both of them and shoot away and then decide for yourself. Happy shooting.
    GeorgiaCarry.Org Member
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links